• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tech Help How to Film a Walkthrough?

LinkZ

Hookshot Sharpshooter
So Im making a youtube channel, how to i record console (wii) games? do i use a video camera or is there a software?
Thanks, LinkZ

:)Z

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The cheap way: Homebrew your Wii in order to obtain ISO image from Wii disk + play in Dolphin Emulator + use free PC recording software (FRAPS, etc.)

If you plan on walking through rather big games, this is only available if your PC is relatively powerful*; I have these specs and cannot play Zelda Skyward Sword at a decent speed:
Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium
4GB RAM
AMD Athlon X2 @ 2.80GHz
Galaxy GeForce GT520 1GB
And, by the way, I have optimal settings for SS enabled.

*Due to Dolphin being an emulator, certain games WILL run better than others - which games do is not up to me and I've no way to determine.

The "proper" way: Use a RCA recording device, which you would cost you about $100 or more
Not necessarily. There are a ton of RCA recording devices, from EasyCRAP to the Hauppauge HD PVR. Most may cost above $100, but there are several that are far below the 100-bling mark:

EasyCRAP: Amazon.com: EasyCAP DC60 - USB 2.0 Audio/video Creator Capture High-quality Analog Video: Camera & Photo
41tEfmkHidL.jpg

I personally own this thing. It's a huge hassle to deal with, and the Driver Installation CD that it comes with does not actually work. I have the correct drivers in a .rar file, but anyway: this can cost from $4 (how much I got it for) to around $20. It's as cheap as it sounds, rarely gets the job done, but when it DOES work it works well. BTW, the CRAP is because it doesn't work. ;)

EzCAP: Amazon.com: EzCap USB 2.0 Audio Video Capture Card Device Transfer Live Games from Xbox360 Playstation3 PS3 Wii in Color, Covert AV from Camcorder VHS V8 Hi8 DVD Player Satellite TV Freeview, Supports Windows XP Vista Windows 7 32/64 Bit - Arcsoft Sh
51z7oeV-x8L.jpg

I do not own this baby, but this is what you're looking for when you type in "EasyCAP". From what I can get by way of video reviews, it works like a charm:
Easycap/Ezcap Tutorial: How to Record & Render Videos in HD for Easycap - YouTube
EzCap 116 2.0 USB Capture Card Set-up and Best Settings - YouTube (WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE)
Ulead Recording using EasyCap 2.0 Capture Card - YouTube
Cheap capture card - Easycap DC60+ - Overview - YouTube

Anyway, if you're looking to grab this one, it should only be around $20 to $50. I wish I waited and got it instead of the CRAP. ;)

Dazzle: Dazzle DVD Recorder Plus - Save and Share Video
2D-DVD_RecorderHD-US.png

I do not own a Dazzle although it once was my dream to obtain one. Anywho, this definitely works amazingly and it's a big recommendation on my part as well as beginner Let's Players. It shouldn't cost more than $60 unless you're going for the HD variant, in which case it is almost guaranteed to cost over $100.

In addition to the capture hardware, it is likely you'll need
An RCA female to 3.5mm male audio jack: Amazon.com: 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2 RCA Stereo Female Cable (6 inches): Electronics (shouldn't cost you more than $5 really)

Splitters (free with EzCAP; shouldn't cost you more than $2 a pop)

Possibly an RCA to RCA plug: Amazon.com: RiteAV - Audio Video RCA Cable 6 feet: Electronics (might be pricey)

So...yeah there you have it. Doing it the "right way" can potentially cost you in the hundreds, but if you shop the right way, it shouldn't cost you anywhere near the 100-bling.

Hmm...apologies if this is some sorta double post or something, but I feel necessary to post personal results of crappy software:
[video=youtube;8QkvCcMG7vo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QkvCcMG7vo[/video]

^That's the EasyCAP DC60 or whatever in action, I call it EasyCRAP though. It has very poor output with choppy video and ahuge lack of sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom