• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How to Enjoy Games Again?

So I've been playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 and I realized about halfway through the game that I'm not playing it for the sake of enjoyment; i'm just playing it for the sake of beating it.

And this is something I realized has been happening for some time now, whether it be Super Paper Mario, Ico, Arkham Origins, etc....I obviously got into games like everyone else b/c they were fun. But now it appears that I just don't play them for that reason entirely anymore.

Any tips? I'm about to start on Shadow of the Collosus and I don't want it to turn into another "beaten" title.

Dan

Well firstly perhaps you are gaming too much, a burn out if you will, take a break from it, if you aren't enjoying it why partake in the activity. It happens with generally anything in life if you eat too much of it you get bored in the end. I also suffer this a lot now a days, I recommend trying out game genres that you don't play too often, maybe an rts of some kind. You could also replay old games you had fun with years ago, revisiting old games can be fun, bring back memories and that generally delicious nostalgia.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
Like what Dan said above, my advice would be to try something new! It's okay to get bored and take a break from something. I have been recently re-falling in love with older things that I had lost interest in after realizing their value. It's also not a bad idea to venture into newer territory and try something completely different- even outside of video games. You might just find a new pasttime that you can't get enough of. :)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I would echo what the others are saying. I don't game as much as I used to, but by making my gaming more sporadic, I will enjoy it more when I actually do. Also, maybe Galaxy just isn't one of your preferred Mario titles, maybe you're really missing other installments in the series. I wouldn't blame you. While it's innovative and does have its moments, I find myself rather wanting to revisit the old classics. And it's like that with several series that I enjoyed growing up.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Most of the times when I replay a game I have no strategy in mind and do all the things I love to do. Like in the Mario games I go and just set myself other goals like grabbing all coins in a level and if I forgot one I just do it over. This is actually making it more fun for me. I'm not a diehard gamer and don't game as much as most people do but when I do I just let myself being taken into the game and just do things for myself without setting a goal

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Maybe you just don't like the games? Maybe they aren't your type or you're very picky like I am. Play some games you know you enjoy(ed) and see if you still enjoy them.

Well firstly perhaps you are gaming too much, a burn out if you will, take a break from it, if you aren't enjoying it why partake in the activity. It happens with generally anything in life if you eat too much of it you get bored in the end. I also suffer this a lot now a days, I recommend trying out game genres that you don't play too often, maybe an rts of some kind. You could also replay old games you had fun with years ago, revisiting old games can be fun, bring back memories and that generally delicious nostalgia.

Maybe I have been gaming too much. I just love 100% games, and as such that makes me want to play for the purpose of completion than enjoyment.

I was thinking about getting out my old SNES and replaying the Donkey Kong Countries/Yoshi's Island. Perhaps I should

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom