• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How the Harp Could Have Been Improved

I thought the harp was pretty cool, but could have had some more depth. Of course hitting six buttons with no specialized timing on an ocarina isn't much more than waving the wiimote in time.

MiniMouseofPyru

The Notorious M.O.P.
I was excited for the harp too, but when I got it in the game, I was terribly disappointed. I'd wish Nintendo made the harp so you could actually play notes. For the "Song of the Hero" quest you could've went to the three dragons, and completed a task, making it so you'd recieve a part of the song that you had to play on your harp.

You have to strike the harp with Wii Motion Plus and while doing that you have to push several buttons like in Ocarina of Time. That's how they could inprove it.

N

Nattack110

I liked the harp, it gave more use for the Wii motion plus, but I hated the fact that there were not distinct notes like when using the ocarina in OoT

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I really miss the Ocarina. I hope you get to play one again in another game someday. There's just something that's special to me about it. I didn't like or dislike the harp really, I just didn't care.

I like the idea of the harp being enlarged on the screen, and you point at the string you want to play with the wii-remote. Then you press A+B to "pluck" the string.

This is one area of the game that I feel could have been drastically improved.

My thoughts on the Goddess Harp well it was easy to use. But when doing the Lumpy Pumkin request by breaking the chandeller playing with Kina and fallowing the crowd's hand motions was hard. Was my least fav request in the game :(

Simple, change the Harp into the Wind Waker and it will convince everyone that the Wii-motion plus is at its full potential. :)

But in seriousness, I can't see how the Harp can be improved aside from having more mini-games and more uses in the story. While people complain of strumming the Harp back and forth, the alternative is to have each individual string be playable thus creates more variations of music would turn most people off. Imagine trying to individually strung every note needed to complete the song without accidentally hitting the wrong notes at the wrong time. There would be huge complaints about the harp and it will prevent casual people from completing the game considering that the harp is needed for the story. I've seen people complain about the Spirit Flutes in Spirit Tracks for requiring specific notes being used at a specific time with a stylus. I can't imagine the outrage if the harp was made "more accurate".

I liked the harp.. mainly for the cutscenes though. If I could improve it, I would have it so that we could play songs we have already learnt such as the Song of the hero plus some other additional songs such as ballad of the goddess and the lumpy pumpkin song.

The harp was terrible. (But I loved the songs made with the harp.) Playing the harp requires almost no skill at all. Swinging your Wii remote back and forth is not a challenge. The harp should of been like any other instruments in TLOZ, where you can actually play different notes with it. The harp sounded like a good idea at first, but after I experienced it in game for the 1st time, it was a major let down. So in other words, yeah, the harp should of been improved.

Everybody already explained it, and I agree with most of it. Skyward Sword definitely could of had the harp better. ( And Fi's disturbing animation of her singing, lol.)

it's not even a harp, it's a lyre. -_____-
but still, major disappointment. and it was hard to play, honestly. the kina sidequest took forever to complete because the harp wasn't very well structured.

There have been many different instruments throughout the zelda series, at first the recorder, then the ocarina, then the wind waker (conductor's baton), and then wolf-link howling through a stone. I know this thread is all about how the harp needs improvement, but all I have to say is that they still could have done better on how you play it. All you have to do is swing the wii remote back and forth and then you get music that apparently is the ballad of the goddess. In other zelda games you needed skill to play the instruments (especially in windwaker). The harp isn't a bad idea, but they could have done better.

not be improved?! I know everyone has a different opinion, but this is one we can ALL agree on

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom