• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How sure are you that we'll see BotW2 at The Game Awards this year?

Will BotW2 be at TGA 2019?

• Nearly 100% sure

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • 50-50

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • I want it to be but doubt it

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters
The Game Awards are almost upon us (airing December 12/13th depending on your timezone) and with TGA comes the potential for new Nintendo reveals and tasty updates on already announced upcoming titles.

Over the last couple of years The Game Awards has been doubling the amount of viewers it receives with last year pulling in over 20,000,000 strong and this year is expected to reach an even wider audience.

This makes TGA a great time to drop some major news... Like a new Breath of the Wild 2 trailer.

Breath of the Wild (while it was in production) was at TGA 2014, 2016 and 2017. BotW was also present at E3 during each of those years too...

(2015 was an Iwata Tribute and nothing else, BotW was also a no-show at E3 2015)

Nintendo often have more than one announcement too, with the likes of Bayonetta 3 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance while also showcasing BotW and Smash respectively...

So it's looking pretty good for BotW2 to potentially show up this year (along with the final Smash character, probably)...

But do you think it will?

Answer the poll, leave a comment and we'll see within the week what went down.

Exciting times.

Last edited:
Oh boy. This is a hard question to answer.

Going into E3, I didn't even think we would see BotW2 and kept thinking that an Odyssey 2 was so much more likely to be announced this year but that clearly didn't happen.

I'm going to say that we're going to see BotW2 and Nintendo will also have the final Smash character for the first DLC challengers pack, as you said, along with one surprise (Bayonetta 3?).

I don't think it's crazy for Zelda to be a holiday 2020 release. That would be a development time of over 3 and a half years assuming work started immediately after BotW launched. Nintendo usually does it where a chunk of the development team remains making DLC while others move onto the next project so I don't think it's farfetched.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I might be setting myself up for disappointment, but I don't really care: I voted nearly 100% sure.

At this time I still think the game will release holiday 2020, if that's the case they'll need to start heading into marketing mode and this would be the right point in time to give an update on a game releasing next year. Also, track records for Breath of the Wild show that the game has always gotten some love at The Game Awards when Nintendo was ready to showcase it, so I'm hoping they maintain that tradition.

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
I might be setting myself up for disappointment, but I don't really care: I voted nearly 100% sure.

At this time I still think the game will release holiday 2020, if that's the case they'll need to start heading into marketing mode and this would be the right point in time to give an update on a game releasing next year. Also, track records for Breath of the Wild show that the game has always gotten some love at The Game Awards when Nintendo was ready to showcase it, so I'm hoping they maintain that tradition.
As someone who has been playing these games since ALTTP and always waiting on the next one to come out since Majora's Mask I'm not expecting this game until 2022. Nintendo has a way of announcing these games early and then postponing year after year.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
As someone who has been playing these games since ALTTP and always waiting on the next one to come out since Majora's Mask I'm not expecting this game until 2022. Nintendo has a way of announcing these games early and then postponing year after year.
It's a possibility, but this is one of those games were the development cycle probably shouldn't take too long. I'd say 2021 is the latest we see the game - keep in mind they are reusing the same engine and assets.

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
It's a possibility, but this is one of those games were the development cycle probably shouldn't take too long. I'd say 2021 is the latest we see the game - keep in mind they are reusing the same engine and assets.
I am hopeful considering the claim it started as a handful of DLCs: I'm just not getting hopes up as I did with TP, SS and BOTW for a quick release.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Oh yeah. I'm not too sure about Fighter Pass 5, since I think it was only a one-trick-pony last year because of Smash launching the very same day. I think Smash fighter 5 is more of a lock for a potential January direct.
As for Bayonetta 3, that's a possibility. But something tells me that that game is also a more further away game. We've seen it 2 years ago, yes, but we have also seen arguably less of it than we have seen BotW2.

So yeah, in between the rumored 2020 internal release window, the insane amount of viewers that TGA pulls off and my complete inability to maintain the hype, I voted 100% sure. Life is short, fam. :party:

I may be a Noob in Zelda , but on a development-scale point of view.....another serious zelda game ...I am expecting at least a good 5 years if not more .
Exceptions are always there :
- a fast rehash of what we already have seen ,
- remnants added that could not go inside the 1st botw
- just a meat-factory conveyor belt philosophy ( like what star-wars does nowadays under disney banners)

I assume that Nintendo does not do that and they focus on quality rather than quantity.
If that is so , a proper game development will take around 5 years ( development cycles , Q.A, bug fixing, reiterations, Integration , Project Mgt. etc etc) , for a game of a Magnitude like Zelda.
My take is = 2023 if not later
secretly ..(I hope I am wrong & its earlier)

My 2 cents

PoeFacedKilla

Hylian Killer Bee
I may be a Noob in Zelda , but on a development-scale point of view.....another serious zelda game ...I am expecting at least a good 5 years if not more .
Exceptions are always there :
- a fast rehash of what we already have seen ,
- remnants added that could not go inside the 1st botw
- just a meat-factory conveyor belt philosophy ( like what star-wars does nowadays under disney banners)

I assume that Nintendo does not do that and they focus on quality rather than quantity.
If that is so , a proper game development will take around 5 years ( development cycles , Q.A, bug fixing, reiterations, Integration , Project Mgt. etc etc) , for a game of a Magnitude like Zelda.
My take is = 2023 if not later
secretly ..(I hope I am wrong & its earlier)

My 2 cents
As a cynic whose been a Zelda fan for twenty years (and played his first Zelda game in 97) the earliest I expect is late next year.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
if we're talking a zelda from the ground up, then definitely, but obviously this game's building off breath of the wild, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see the game the game a lot sooner than usual

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom