• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How soon is too soon?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I'm strictly wait until Thanksgiving afternoon AT LEAST to start decorating for Christmas. I feel anything else is too early. I love the season, don't get me wrong, but I think it can get overrated. What about y'all? When do you start?

silent lion

ReDead
My birthday is in early December and I used to be really precious about not having Christmas decorations up before that. Now I don't care so much, but before December is too early for me. If they're up too long they lose the magic and it'll start creeping back earlier and earlier each year.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I dont start until December. I'm not too big on Christmas and the commercialization makes Nov and Dec TV hellish. I enjoy the winter and the atmosphere, at least, but still. Outside of December is out of season and the only holiday I like out of season is Halloween.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I refuse to help my family put Christmas decorations out anytime before December 15 at the very earliest, and even that’s pushing it.

Christmas is supposed to be a celebration of the second holiest moment in history (though it most likely took place in the summer, not in winter). Celebrating it so early devalues the time when it really matters. If anything, putting out decorations in November makes it feel more commercial than anything else.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
According to the local shop the day after Halloween was all systems go.

I don’t generally care too much about when decorating starts, but we usually start in early December. Since we don’t have thanksgiving the most important thing here between Halloween and Christmas is I without doubt my birthday on December 23, but waiting until after that would make it a little late to start decorating :P

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I think there is a transition towards Christmas decorations. Following Halloween, you put away all the "spooky" decorations but you leave out the more general "fall" decorations (anything that is pumpkin shaped or red and orange leaf based). But during Thanksgiving is the perfect time to start putting up Christmas lights (NOTE: this applies to WHITE lights, not colorful ones). The closer to Thanksgiving you are, I think it is acceptable to slowly usher in more winter decorations, but nothing explicitly Christmas until after Thanksgiving. Trees are negotiable for whether they can be put up shortly before or after Thanksgiving, depending on if and what kind of ornaments are on the tree.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
I start December 20th, that's mostly because that's when the presents start to arrive. I just put up a tree, a snowman, and a wreath. Money is tight, no need to waste money.

I'm probably more of a Christmas person than a Halloween person, but I generally don't really like the holiday season (Halloween-Thanksgiving-Christmas), and am not too huge on decorating even though I like the aesthetic of Christmas decorations. Since my sister is the one who usually makes us decorate, and she's probably not gonna be here for Christmas, we're likely not gonna decorate this year at all outside of a wreath on the door. Which means, my dear pet Norfolk Pine will get to be our Christmas tree, and I am a proud parent.

unknown.png

As far as how soon is too soon... I don't really care tbh. After Halloween, I'm okay to start mentally getting into some sort of Christmas mindset (I enjoy wishing people a Merry Christmas the day after Halloween for laughs), but the start of Advent is usually when my family finds it acceptable to start decorating if we actually decorate.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
We usually decorate after Sinterklaas (early dec) but usually people who don't celebrate Sinterklaas decorate earlier. My hubby wants to put the tree up already and one of my coworkers already did. I don't really care. I rather decorate the first week of dec or later because I don't like the tree being there for all those weeks. I used to care a huge lot about christmas but the last couple of years I don't really care. I love the time leading up to christmas more than christmas itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom