• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Should Dungeons Be Fixed In the Sequel?

So in other words, "Let's wait and see." :shrugs:

that is an extremely positive take-out on what is actually a really negative post and negative with a (good) reason

the core message of that post was that i don't trust it at all, that my expectations are very very low at best

at the end i will still watch the final outcome only because the Zelda-series always have been my favorite games for over 2 and a half decade but i don't like the new path they are taking with the Zelda-series, honestly in the last rendition i barley recognised my beloved series, it felt kinda something completely different with a Zelda lay-out or facade, in the future this series might loose my intrest (completely) if they indeed continue in this direction an everything states that they will

this is for sure the first Zelda-game i will not buy on launch day since the actual first Zelda game (for which of course the reason was that i was not familiar with it since it was the 1st ever Zelda-game), i will have to see multiple videos of this game after its release and see for one that it has actual REAL DUNGEONS (which BotW completely lacked) and probably some other things as well (that i can not directly name), by dissatisfaction i might happen that my intrest in the Zelda-series might dissapear (completely) since the different direction they want to go out with the series (as i said and they themselves said before) and also if it indeed were to loose my intrest (completely) there really would be no reason for me to stay with nintendo (although i like other franchises too but certainly not as very much as Zelda or as that used to be since it is already lesser now)

if i knew back than what i know now i would very probably not have bought BotW, not even for 10 euro, not that the game itself is that bad but i simply can not forgive the lack of actual real dungeons

Last edited:
Those are some harsh words. Breath of the Wild may not be your traditional Zelda, and I as well find it hard to forgive the lack of dungeons or enemy variety, but to judge the game on those two characteristics alone is to deprive yourself of one of the best experiences in gaming.

i have deprived myself of nothing since i played the entire game, i had bought it already anyway so why not

the complete lack of something (dungeons in this case most obviously) that has always been one of the 2 or 3 major defining characteristics of the series for at least 2 and half decade

Zelda-games have always had 2 different parts in them and now they seem to simply eliminate one of those two parts for the future (evidently i'm talking about dungeons again, in my opion for sure the better part);

i shall say how i feel by it so maybe then you understand: they kind of removing lots and lots of things that make a Zelda game actually a Zelda game, they're removing the things that set it apart from other games in favor of changing it into a generic game like there are at least 14 in a dozen and what is even worse about it is that most of those other games do it/that better (significantly); yes indeed i said it that they are kinda selling the Zelda series out (see generic earlier)

am i harsh? yes
am i wrong? no, or at very least partially not (and that rather for a big and significant part)

i have deprived myself of nothing since i played the entire game, i had bought it already anyway so why not

the complete lack of something (dungeons in this case most obviously) that has always been one of the 2 or 3 major defining characteristics of the series for at least 2 and half decade

Zelda-games have always had 2 different parts in them and now they seem to simply eliminate one of those two parts for the future (evidently i'm talking about dungeons again, in my opion for sure the better part);
They didn't remove the dungeons, they just converted them to better fit BotW's mold. Divine beasts, shrines and Hyrule Castle may be different from previous dungeons, and you may not like them (which is fine), but they're still dungeons by definition.

The Bread Pirate

Youtuber/Student/Christian

i shall say how i feel by it so maybe then you understand: they kind of removing lots and lots of things that make a Zelda game actually a Zelda game, they're removing the things that set it apart from other games in favor of changing it into a generic game like there are at least 14 in a dozen and what is even worse about it is that most of those other games do it/that better (significantly); yes indeed i said it that they are kinda selling the Zelda series out (see generic earlier)

am i harsh? yes
am i wrong? no, or at very least partially not (and that rather for a big and significant part)

It's impossible to say what Nintendo will do in the future. Don't lose hope for Nintendo re-adding dungeons! The Zelda series has had a good track record when it comes to listening to fans.

I agree with BlueBird. Dungeons were untraditional but still existed in the form of Shrines/Divine Beasts/Hyrule Castle. Nintendo hasn't given up on dungeon making yet.

They didn't remove the dungeons, they just converted them to better fit BotW's mold. Divine beasts, shrines and Hyrule Castle may be different from previous dungeons, and you may not like them (which is fine), but they're still dungeons by definition.
neither of the divine beast do even qualify as a mini-dungeon (and by saying that i think it is not at all necessary to even elaborate about shrines)
also all of the divine beast together come not even remotely close to a dungeon
the ony thing that is somewhat comparable to a dungeon is Hyrule castle, it is definitely the thing that comes the closest to it

It's impossible to say what Nintendo will do in the future. Don't lose hope for Nintendo re-adding dungeons! The Zelda series has had a good track record when it comes to listening to fans.

I agree with BlueBird. Dungeons were untraditional but still existed in the form of Shrines/Divine Beasts/Hyrule Castle. Nintendo hasn't given up on dungeon making yet.
Nintendo has said mutiple times again and again that this is the new way they want to go with the series, also to build further on the idea to deviate even more and more with what Zelda always have been before

otherwise said they want to completely reinvent and rather drastically change the series that always has been most excellent for decades, and for sure changes not actually for the better: removing a (or maybe even the) core aspect of the series

why do i have to be so repetitive in saying those do not all qualify as dungeons, BotW simply does not have dungeons and not alone in saying that, more over the vast majority says BofW does not have dungeons and it is a very big vast majority that says that for the simple reason that the game really does not have them

The Bread Pirate

Nintendo has said mutiple times again and again that this is the new way they want to go with the series, also to build further on the idea to deviate even more and more with what Zelda always have been before

otherwise said they want to completely reinvent and rather drastically change the series that always has been most excellent for decades, and for sure changes not actually for the better: removing a (or maybe even the) core aspect of the series

why do i have to be so repetitive in saying those do not all qualify as dungeons, BotW simply does not have dungeons and not alone in saying that, more over the vast majority says BofW does not have dungeons and it is a very big vast majority that says that for the simple reason that the game really does not have them

I believe the reason we keep repeating the same things is that we all have a different definition for "Dungeons".
For me, a dungeon is a level based area which contains puzzles, combat, and maybe a boss. I have a flexible way of interpreting dungeons, so I am able to accept BotW's Shrines/DivineBeasts as dungeons.

I'll have to look into what you said about Nintendo giving up on traditional dungeons. I haven't heard this before, but I'd like to know more about it. (If you have a link to an article that would help.)

So how do you define a dungeon? And why weren't BotW's levels able to fit your definition?

neither of the divine beast do even qualify as a mini-dungeon (and by saying that i think it is not at all necessary to even elaborate about shrines)
also all of the divine beast together come not even remotely close to a dungeon
the ony thing that is somewhat comparable to a dungeon is Hyrule castle, it is definitely the thing that comes the closest to it
Um, how are they not dungeons? They're still self-contained locations where you fight enemies, solve puzzles and occasionally face bosses. Are Zelda II's dungeons also not dungeons, as they did away with the puzzles?

That's arguable. Until ALBW came out, I hadn't been able to truly enjoy a Zelda game since TWW, with the overt focus on puzzles and dungeons at the expense of exploration and freedom. SS was the epitome of everything wrong with Zelda games from that era and killed my interest in the series, then ALBW and BotW restored it. And going by BotW's resounding success (best-selling Zelda game ever), I'm not alone in calling this one a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

The Bread Pirate

SS was the epitome of everything wrong with Zelda games from that era and killed my interest in the series, then ALBW and BotW restored it. And going by BotW's resounding success (best-selling Zelda game ever), I'm not alone in calling this one a step in the right direction.
Hee hee, I'm weird since I liked BotW and Skyward Sword. :D

they could do shrines AND caves like the ones we saw in the trailer. and have the dungeons be more open and have the player able to leave and return until they’re complete like hyrule castle. that felt like a teaser for what the dungeons are gonna be like moving forward. just please make them look different this time even if there’s only 4 or 5 of them again

it was cool that you could manipulate the dungeon from the map screen and all but that could’ve been the gimmick for like one dungeon, not all of them. i’d rather they do them like hyrule castle where you can come and go as you please as you get better gear to deal with whatever’s inside and connect the dungeons with the over world with side quests, hidden corridors you can’t access until you get a certain item from another part of the world or upgrade your runes blah blah. and they need to be distinct from each other visually with more enemies too. hyrule castle was like a tease for what they could do if they really focused on making open dungeons

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom