• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How Pleased are you with what you have seen

How pleased

• 1- I want to gauge out my eyes

Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 3 3.7%

Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 12 14.8%

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • 10- I couldnt be more pleased

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I don't recall ever once talking to you before. You seem to be completely new here, honestly.
Dude, what? Not only did I originally join in 2012, but I currently have over 2000 posts and I was at one time an admin.
You know, an administrator.

Very new indeed.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Dude, what? Not only did I originally join in 2012, but I currently have over 2000 posts and I was at one time an admin.
You know, an administrator.

Very new indeed.
If you had another account, it would be prudent to mention that first.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
Personally speaking, I give it a 9/10. There are a couple other games that I would give 9/10 this year, but this is the one I am most excited for. Especially seeing as the 1 point I take off is for concerns.

Firstly, I am a bit worried about it being too empty, but I feel pretty confident that Nintendo will have that covered in the final game.

The next I am not so sure of is the Stamina Meter. It won't stop me from playing and I quite like it. I have been a huge fan of games that have used Stamina before such as Shadow of the Colossus and Dark Souls. I just hope either it can be upgraded or that the running doesn't take up so much stamina in the end. I'm pretty sure at least the upgrade will happen.

I am not worried about any of the customization. It already looks brilliant to me.

My last concern deals with items. Again nothing that would stop me from playing the game. But the disruption of the flow of action to go to a pause menu and change weapons, shields and consume foods bugs me a tiny bit. Perhaps I've gotten too used to Dark Souls, but I want something like that. Something where you customize your items to a quick menu that you use as the action keeps flowing. And even the pause menu would not disrupt the action. Forcing you to be in a safe place before you assign your items and weapons to a quick menu.

Other than that it looks fantastic. And I think they are already have the exploration, the open world and the environmental interactions nailed right on the head.

Salem

SICK
It's Nayru.
Seriously?

A role-playing game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters (in this case Link) in a fictional setting (Hyrule) Players take responsibility for acting out these roles within a narrative (Yep that's what we tend to do in Zelda games), either through literal acting or through a process of structured decision-making or character development.
90% of gaming is Role-playing

Zeanith CloudCatcher IV

The Shadow Knight
I voted with a "6". Here are my reasons why:

What I HAVE seen, I simply adore. I was a bit hesitant at first, because I'm not used to massive RPG games like this, but the more I watched, the more I wanted to play!

My only gripe with the entire presentation is what they DIDN'T show. It's been how many years now, and all they show is gameplay in one small area? I wanted to see towns - people and story elements. But at the same time, I know why they did this. They only wanted us to focus on the gameplay and any more than what they showed might have been a bit much. Because we would have been too distracted by the story and other NPCs to pay attention to the many, MANY new additions, ya know?

All I really want is a bit more of the story and one town, and that "6" will immediately become a "10". The Legend of Zelda has been my favorite video game series since I was seven-years-old and (along with Kingdom Hearts) inspired me to start writing stories of my own. This new iteration will undoubtedly contribute to that inspiration.

Last edited:
Well, I guess this is the place to write up my overall opinions based on the massive Zelda blowout over the last couple of days. (Be honest, you've all been dying to hear from me.)

I'll start with the trailer;
I liked it, it was nice to see a new world at a time when all we've seen from Zelda over the last few years are remakes. Its nice to finally see something fresh in motion. I like what they've done with the place, I like how open it is, I like the art style, I like the enemy designs and I'm rather intrigued by most of what was shown; especially the shrines and what overall purpose they play and their relations to the Guardians.
I like the amount of new items Link can have. When I saw him pick up an axe I thought to myself; 'Twilight Princess would have made us do a dungeon for a weapon like that, especially one that can change the overworld like the axe does by cutting down trees,' so BotW immediately felt like a more open and deeper experience, they've seemingly cut loose and let a lot of modern RPG concepts run free in BotW, which I like.
I was a little apprehensive with some of the new features though such as the cooking and the seemingly rather deep customization Link has with his weapons and wardrobe.
I don't really like taking time out in Monster Hunter to cook something and refuel when there is hunting and exploring to do and when I saw Link cooking in BotW it just brought back a lot of MH memories. I'm not against the mechanic being in there, Zelda is a very different game, but I do hope it isn't something that constantly NEEDS to be done.
I was also gutted that the fecking stamina meter came back. For the love of god we don't bloody need it! I didn't like it in SS, it made Link feel very unfit, why have a sprint function if you can't sprint very far because of a meter, it was made worse in SS by having the stamina fruit scattered about the place; 'so, I can't run or climb very far, but you want me to be able to so you've put fruit everywhere to top it up, why not just allow me to sprint/climb further?'
That being said, it does look like BotW has nerfed how invasive the stamina meter is. I didn't see it pop up too often and I'm glad it didn't look as if it was threatening combat like it did in SS and completely made me forgo doing spin attacks through the entire game. I do hope BotW will use the stamina meter sparingly and has a way to upgrade it in order to make Link feel more buff as you progress.

As for how it looks... It looks great, as I said I do really like the art style. Link looks like a gonk sometimes depending on the angle you see him from and some of the screenshots have been rather unkind, he just doesn't look 'right' sometimes to me. But I suffered through SS without it bothering me too much and SS Link looks way worse than BotW Link. However...
Sometimes it looks like a really dated game. I was watching some of the gameplay footage and granted its on the WiiU, a game this big on a console like the WiiU meant that the likes of the graphics were gonna suffer. They'd have probably attempted Witcher 3 level detail had the WiiU been able to take it. So I know that Zelda U, while it still looks great, really probably doesn't look the best it could have if the world had been smaller.
I was looking at the 2014 trailer and then the new trailer and the new trailer really does look like the graphics have been downgraded, it doesn't look as good as it did in 2014. I still need to see it on my own HD TV at home up close, but it just really doesn't look as good as that trailer did in 2014 and some of the gameplay videos, in places, did look kind of ugly, especially with some jaggies and textures. The draw distance is decent though, and the pop in has been handled a lot better than it was in WW when things would just suddenly pop in there. I hate pop ins, it makes the game feel so tacky and takes me out of the immersive world I've burrowed into, but BotW didn't seem to have it too bad, which is nice.

So... I like what I've seen so far, I need to experience some of the mechanics I'm not sure on like the cooking, customization and the dreaded stamina meter.
I like how it looks despite it looking a little dated in places. I'm intrigued with the story, which hasn't happened since 2003 when WW released. So I'm eager to see more.

But...

Seeing all of this hasn't actually made me any more excited for the game. I kind of feel as if they could have shown the trailer a year ago and not spoiled anything. My hype level is what it was for the game before E3, which is odd considering how much new information we got. but I think its more of a case where everything we've been shown may be new to Zelda, but its not actually new to us as gamers.

A lot of what the trailer showed in the way of added features were things I'd seen and experienced in other games like Monster Hunter, Witcher 3, Xenoblade X and others. So while its new to Zelda, its not new to me, and I wonder if when I do actually play the game, that it may not thrill me with its new concepts, because I've seen it all before elsewhere, the fact that its in Zelda won't mean much to me, and in a lot of ways, this game probably should have released maybe 5-6 years ago with Skyrim etc. I dunno, it feels like Zelda is really now stuck behind everything else instead of being in the lead. Still, that's not a bad thing, its probably gonna be a great game and its already way better than SS, which is a game I still load up from time to time and a game I did enjoy in places. So BotW still has a lot going for it for me personally, since this is the first Zelda game in 15 years I've been really intrigued and excited for.

P.S
How frigging cute are the new enemies?! Aww I don't want to hurt them, they're sho cyoot with their ickle pig snozzes and floppy earseses!!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Can I vote 100000000000000/10? Because that would be more accurate to how indescribably happy I am about this game. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I first saw the trailer. Every single thing they've shown us has been utterly amazing. For years I've been wanting a Zelda game with a world on that scale, and for it to be open and full of things to do. For years I've been wanting more clothing/armor options. I always wanted more magic and combat potential, and the rune abilities with the sheikah slate and all the weapons is absolutely ideal. I've been dying for more athletic abilities, and the climbing is a fantastic step forward in that direction. Ever since the deku leaf from Wind Waker I've been wanting a way to glide again, and now we have that awesome glider. The art style is the epitome of gorgeous and is a perfect match for the Zelda series, it's definitely the best style in the series to date no contest. This game has everything I have ever wanted out of a Zelda game. Everything and then some (i.e. the cooking which is amazing too). Every single thing about this game that we've seen has made me the happiest Zelda fan on earth.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Saw the demo and BotW looks interesting gameplay wise. They have upped their game by making resources more important, so I really liked the food aspect. I also loved that the sword wasn't the standard go-to weapon, I suspect the master sword will play an important role in the plot but overall in the game I think there will be more fun and interesting arsenal of weapons to choose from.

The things I still look forward to seeing are; plot, characters (other than Link), the rest of the world.

The plot isn't really much to say about, I trust Nintendo to do a good job there and keep things interesting. The main question being will there be stuff to do after the main story, will there be engaging side stories of this new world? And speaking of the world, how big is it? How diverse is it when it comes to geography (will we see snowy mountains, deserts, lush swamps etc.) and races.

side note:

To jump into the RPG discussion; Zelda fails pretty hard at being a classic RPG, except for Zelda II.

Usually you have more than one role to play (Link always being a sword & shield wielding warrior). There is some sort of leveling/experience system that utilizes skill trees that you can use to specialize in different talents for you character that directly affect the gameplay (i.e a character that specializes in magic will play differently than say an Archer...etc.)

Otherwise most action/adventure games are automatically RPG?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom