• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How old were you when you started working? When did you move out?

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I've heard from my cousin (PIO) that people start to work part time when they're in college and move out earlier in the west.

So, at what age did you start to work and when did you move out? Are you planning to soon?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I started working at 16, because most jobs in the United States can allow 16 year olds to work, but Federal law severely restricts their hours, and generally they're not allowed to work dangerous or agricultural jobs.

I moved out at around 20 or so, when I saved up enough for a security deposit and a few month's rent on a place with my wife, who was my girlfriend at the time.

Been living on my own and working ever since. I did get some college education, but I found music to be my calling, and have been playing and working to fund it.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Ha
Ha ha
*Sobs in still unemployed*
Just chill and don't take any pressure :kikwi:
security deposit
Getting a job aside. I must learn the finance stuff such as power of attorney, legal heir, inheritance etc and learn how banks work soon. I just let my aunt deal with all that stuff.

It'd be great if schools provided some exposure on finances

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Just chill and don't take any pressure :kikwi:

Getting a job aside. I must learn the finance stuff such as power of attorney, legal heir, inheritance etc and learn how banks work soon. I just let my aunt deal with all that stuff.

It'd be great if schools provided some exposure on finances
Banks are pretty easy.

I think of them as a digital coin purse. When you deposit money into your account, that's analogous to you putting more coins in your coin purse. When you withdraw money, that's you taking coins out of your coin purse. Just keep track of what comes in or out of your account.

Thus, banks themselves are pretty simple in how they operate, and if you need advice on loans and such, might want to talk to a loan officer, where it's their job to help you in getting and/or paying off a loan.

What's tricky is budgeting, and there's different ways to budget, but my favorite way is what my dad taught me.

When you go to a bank to open an account, actually open two accounts.

Open a checking account, and this is strictly for bills and necessities, and anything leftover is for enjoyment/play.

Open a savings account, and this is for a rainy day. Don't touch this unless it's an emergency.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Started working at 17, have not moved out yet. It's something I'd like to do at some time or another though, preferably before I turn 19, but I'll probably need to actually build some credit before places will consider renting to me, and ideally get a driver's license too. I've been looking into it and I do in theory make enough to live alone atm, but it would be really tight unless I got a roommate, and I'm not really sure I trust any of my friends enough for that, plus if I'm moving out it's gonna be mainly cus I want my own space so I'm not sure I'll even want a roommate either

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I started working at McDonalds soon after I turned 14 since that is the minimum age for employment here and my parents were pretty poor so I wanted to start earning money for myself. I moved out of home to go to Japan for university when I was 23 but moved back to Australia just before the pandemic and am living with my parents again while I save for a home deposit. Both rental and buying prices for homes in Sydney are insane so it is very common for people to live with their parents into their late 20s or early 30s.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I got my first job as a mailman (same one I still have) back in the end of 2016, so almost 6 years ago. I was 23 and 1/2 years old.
I didn't move out of my parents house until earlier this year, right before I turned 29. It's not easy to find a place to live, I'd been searching for years and then I got REALLY lucky!

My life was hampered because of my fathers selfishness. So I can not say "I grew up in a normal circle-view drive with normal room, and drove normal car". At least I was not Bobby Fischer. I would be Bobby Fischer if I had chess-board instead of videogames.

I could write a book on the subject. It is called discrimination. When some middle-man/woman, midget, person of X race has an issue with you having X job or position. Most people are collecting money from the government in some form or another. That is the truth not most understand.

The only real job I made money from was working non-for-profit organizations, and getting over-time. If I keep doing the kind of work asked of me I might go insane, and start hurting people. I hate myself but I had bills to pay.

College is the only real answer for work if you are educated. Otherwise you need to have a drivers license, and take city exams. Nobody trusts anybody and everybody is unhelpful.

I am illustrator person. All I can do is draw. It hurts me when my creations are not active and I am just sitting here with equipment and experience not being utilize. I see #$@#$$#@ "Cuphead" and ask myself "Why am I not working on stuff like that".

I am in so much pain thinking about all of it.

NastyLesley

Goth catboy thingy
I first moved out of my father's house in 2017 when my ex-girlfriend asked if I wanted to live with her and her fiancee in St. John's. I had been looking for work for some time and I figured it would be easier to find in the city so I took her offer and not long after I was flipping burgers at Wendy's. I was 20 years old at the time if memory serves.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
First job at 16, first moved out just before turning 19 but that ended up being a dumpster fire so I'm back at home now and idk when I'll be back out and I don't really have any plans to atm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom