• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Old Should Someone Be when They Get Their First Mobile Phone?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
This thread is for you to discuss what age you think is appropriate for a child to have their first Mobile Phone.

I received my first mobile phone just a few days after finishing primary (elementary) school, on my 13th Birthday. I think that it was a good age to receive a phone as I was mature enough to use it properly, my parents could also contact me on the go and I could contact them. Many younger children may not be able to be trusted with a mobile phone and may waste the credit. Also they could be talking to anyone on the phone without parents present so that could amount to other issues too.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
People may hate me for this, but I think one should be at the very least 16 years of age, and only in certain circumstances (i.e they're gonna be away from parents at a workplace or something). I just don't believe people younger than 16 should have a phone, not because they're irresponsible but because it shouldn't be necessary.

Most of the people I know who have had phones before 16 have them because they do dangerous things like partying, staying out late, et cetera. :I

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I think I received my first phone when I was 12 or 13. I don't think anyone should have a phone if you're younger than that.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
I think someone should at least be in high school before getting a phone. They don't need a phone before that!

My sister didn't get one until she was seventeen. And she bought it mostly with her own money. (It was an iPhone 5 :P)

Then again, my family is homeschooled, so we don't really need phones as often.

10-11?

Most of the people here had them around that age. Ofcource not me, I had a primitive brick that I can tear down a wall with, and still not damage it...

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I was 15 when I got my first phone. My dad bought it for me because I was going to move out shortly after my 16th birthday (I was gonna go to high scool in another town), and he and mom wanted a way to keep in touch with me. Friends of mine got their first phones because it was "cool", while for me it was a practical matter.

As for what old I think you should be, I think it has to be about why you get the phone rather than how old you are. And what restrictions is put on it. My own niece (who's 10 now) has a pay as you go phone. She knows that if she spends all her credits, her parents won't just buy her more (because she can still phone and text her parents without it costing anything). For her it's a practical matter, to be able to let her parents know/ask permission if she wants to go somewhere.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Gheez in my time we didn't have mobile phones :P Those were invented later. I think age 15 and up should be propriate. My sister gave her kids a mobile phone when they were 6. Yes you read it right...SIX.
This was more spoiling behavior. I think that is a very poor way to spoil your kids. Kids don't need a phone that young. You need to be more responsible to get a mobile phone and to know how to handle it and what to use it for. The majority of the kids only use it to text/chat each other or play games

bunny

birb overlord
I honestly think it depends on the kid. Some children/teens are extremely mature for their age and can handle owning a mobile phone, while others... You're probably better off not giving them one. I didn't get a phone until just after I turned 15. I had wanted one for so long and when I finally got one, I never used it, derp. Anyways, I could definitely understand a parent giving their child a phone at an earlier age if necessary. My cousin is an only child and he goes to public school. His mom gave him a very limited phone at about the age of 10. He could only have 4 contacts (other than 911, obviously) and his mom chose those four contacts. He wasn't allowed to call anyone else other than those four people, and the phone didn't have texting. That way, she had a way of contacting him, and he had a way of contacting her if something were to go wrong while they were separated. I think that was very wise of my aunt. I'll probably end up doing something similar for my kids. (If I have them.)

On the other hand, if a child is out of control and does not submit to his or her parents/guardian or whatever, then I really don't think the kid's ready for a phone. I don't see the point in paying a pretty penny to entrust an expensive piece of technology to a child who will most likely run up a bill or lose/break it. My parents would have given me a phone earlier than they did, but they didn't have the money, so I waited and now I have a very nice touch screen cell phone with a keyboard. (I love it.) I was willing to wait, and I'd say it was worth it. If I had thrown a fit and whined about it, my parents probably would've given me the cheapest phone they could find, if that.

Clank

Hmm
It depends on the kid, but for a rule of thumb age I would suggest 15-16 as most kids are somewhat mature then, but for example I am 16 and refuse to get a phone(, as I don't want people to be able to reach me...) unless it is a Nexus 4 or better, and my family buys feature phones...So it will probably be a while before I get a phone...

Most of the people I know who have had phones before 16 have them because they do dangerous things like partying, staying out late, et cetera. :I

God forbid people enjoy their teenage years.

I honestly think that a reasonable age to recieve a cell phone is when the student reaches middle school. By this time, they're smart enough to take care of it, and may use it when the situation arises.

Go_Skyward

Seek a door that carries a [9]
I received my first phone when I was 12. Of course, it was a given that I was moving at the time and my parents wanted me to have a way to contact my old friends. Was I responsible with my phone? Ehhh... It wasn't until a year later until I learned my lesson (let's just say that I used one of those sites that want you to put your phone number and it raised my parents phone bill greatly. NEVER doing that again). I honestly wouldn't have given MYSELF a phone until I was at least 13 or older.

I knew a girl that got her first phone at age 10. When she was 11 she lost her phone in a hotel and a maid used it. The sad part was that her parents just turned around and bought her a new one .-.

So, all in all. I say the age is 13 up. But that's just me.

Dan

I think it's important that they have a phone at around age four. I mean the government do need to keep tabs on everyone, including those troublesome four year olds, so I'm going with four.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom