• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How often do you buy a Switch version for multiplats?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
This thread is aimed for people who also have a PS4/5 or Xbox Series One Whatever....or PC

If there was a game you wanted that was multiplatform, would you get it for the Switch for portability or would you go for other versions for the likely better performances? I noticed whenever I'm looking at used games that are multiplat, the Switch version very often costs $5 - 10 more, and I think even in general games sometimes cost slightly more on Switch [not including the whole price increase for this gen]. Either way, do you guys typically buy multiplats on Switch or for other platforms?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
100% depends on the game
I bought yooka laylee for the switch for example but if a meatier game were to come out for the switch like spiderman I'd get the ps4 version because of performance

but switch games have tended to cost less for me

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Depends on the game. If a game will have noticeably better performance on my PS4 compared to Switch, then I'll go PS4. But if the experiences are similar enough or I really want portability for a certain game, then I'll get it for my Switch. Although in some cases (like the complete port of Dynasty Warriors 8 on both), I'll go PS4 simply because it's cheaper. $20 vs. $40 for the same game, where performance is pretty much even.

Pretty much never. The only current gen system I have is Switch, but these days if it's multiplat it's probably on PC so I'll get it on that. The only advantage Switch has over anything else is handheld mode, but I never play games on the go so it's not an issue for me. I love Nintendo, but opting for the Switch version of games is just intentionally choosing an inferior experience.

The closest I've come to torn is with NEO TWEWY, I've wanted a sequel to TWEWY for over a decade, but the PC version will be Epic Games exclusive. I hate supporting the EGS, but this is probably the only case where I mind waiting for the year of exclusivity to run out. If I get the Switch Version, I'll probably just end up spending twice as much because I'll double dip when it comes out on Steam.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
Just depends really. If it's a lot cheaper on the ps4 I'll get it there. Otherwise I'll probably get it on the Switch just for convenience. Since I can easily play that any time in handheld mode, but have to wait til everyone's asleep here to play my ps4 since it's hooked up in the living room.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I usually go for performance, and in that sense I'll take the PS4 version over the Switch version of most games. Though, if they're available on PC, that's probably the route I'll go from now on. The portability of the Switch is nice but I find myself hardly using it, and my PS4 is in my bedroom along with my Switch and laptop anyhow.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Always Switch. I dont want any of the other consoles and I hate playing games on my PC. If there's a game that I bought on PC and it gets released for Switch later, I'll double dip like I did with Ys Origins. Handheld master race.
This is almost exactly me too. I neither own nor really want other consoles and I don’t boot up my PC very often. I’m far more likely to play something on my Switch when looking for something to play. I have bought quite a few older games that I already have on PC purely for convenience of not having to load up my computer, unless the game suffers poorly from poor optimisation or control scheme. But let’s face it, not even Nintendo get everything right. Still annoyed at the Mario 3D collection for being unplayable due to controls.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Not very often now. I bought most of my Switch ports back when I was in the military and spending significant time in a platoon office, in a motorpool, or in the field. Those were perfect places for the mobility of the Switch to shine. Now that I'm a civilian, I just don't have a reason to purchase a Switch version over a better performing PC or console version.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
yeah w/ how things are in my home right now, it's just easier for me to play on my bed, so if a game has a switch version, that's what I'm going for these days

plus my ps4 hard drive is almost full, and it's just easier to get a bigger sd card for switch than do whatever it is to manage memory on the ps4

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Well, Switch is the only current gen console that I own (other than a PC, but I don't really play many games on it other than WoW), so it's currently Switch only for me. I'm thinking about getting a PS5 later on, as there is a new Ratchet & Clank game for it that I'd like to play

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Depends on the game for me. If it's indie, retro, or a platformer I tend to go for the Switch. Though, I do double dip quite a bit if it's something I really like, like Resident Evil or Crash that I wouldn't mind having a portable version of even if I have it already on a more powerful console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom