• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Often Do You Backup Your Devices?

How often?

• Multiple Times Daily

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Daily

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Weekly

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Half-Yearly

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Yearly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less than Yearly/Never

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters
yeah, It's 22TB. I remembered wrong when I said 23TB.
In that case I would almost certainly say you're using a variation of RAID level 4 called RAID DP where you have an additional dedicated parity drive which gives you the two drive fault tolerance. Unfortunately it's a proprietary non-RAID configuration, and given that you have your drives at full capacity, I'd wonder how difficult it would be to migrate.

Migrating won't be an issue. I can anytime detach a hard drive from the setup and that's fine. The data from the detached hard drive is fully usable. I can put the drive another pc and read the data if I need to do that in case of system failure. Data is not striped across the array

I can anytime detach a hard drive from the setup and that's fine. The data from the detached hard drive is fully usable

Ohhh Ok. I overlooked that. It's like JBOD but with double parity. Definitely not any RAID standard then. I'm curious though, how do you determine which drive the desired data is on if your server fails?

yeah, not raid. I don't do anything with the performance boost in writing and reading speeds that raid offers. Not so many clients are using the server simultaneously that raid would be worth of risk losing data. I have heard some horror stories about those poor ones who have lost all the data when the raid array has failed.

The drives are pooled, so system shows that data is on one drive. I can determine how flexraid organise data. It can fill up drives evenly or fill up one drive first and then starts to fill up another one. I can check from flexraid configuration panel what is the drive that is actually holding a particular file. However, after system failure I don't think there's an easy way to locate the data. I guess I'd just put the drives to another pc and search the data. It would be tedious, surely

There was one dude who migrated from flexraid setup to another similar. He said it was painless and easy task. So I'm not worried if I have to migrate from flexraid to another software. I hope that day won't come too soon as I'm very happy with my current setup. Server is running in a closet and works like charm. Maintaning is so easy. Current up time is 195 days. I have never had any hiccups and it's been running for years. Centralised data server is golden.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom