• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda How Much Technology Can Zelda Have and Still Be Zelda?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
The fact that the series was always meant to go into the future and hasnt scares me. I dont wanna go from what we have, straight to light sabers and such. but if the series were to go that direction, im hoping they would at least test things out. Like maybe a small portion in one game as a kinda of taste, and if everyone likes it so be it. I just dont want Guns in my Legend of Zelda games. Sorry if anyone wants em, but im out! Wind Waker took a big risk, and look how that turned out for them. Dont get me wrong, after recently completing WWHD I'm done sailing for a while. I want my feet back on solid ground.

This whole Steampunk idea that has been floating around for awhile has got my attention, but I dont know, with the steam punk era being kind of the same as the Victorian Era, thats pretty close to when everyone carried a gun. So i would be worried!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
They can have as much technology as they want. Zelda is a fantasy series and can have any type of setting, from medieval to cyberpunk if they so desired.
Bioshock 1 and 2 were set in an underwater city, the third game was set in a floating sky city. The change of setting did not mean that it was any less a bioshock game. It's all about the core gameplay. To be Zelda all that is required is a swordsman protagonist, puzzle solving and action elements as well as exploration. They could set it in whatever setting they wanted.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I just want the sword and shield to continue to be Link's main arsenal, so I'm gonna say no to guns.
But any other technology could work, I suppose, as long as it still remains somewhat steakpunky and archaic... except I don't think TV really has a place in the Zelda universe, nor phones. Could you imagine LOZ with texting?

Zelda: Omg. Kidnapped again. Link, can u pic me up plz??:)
Link: Yea, b right over. Gotta collect shards of the trifrce 1st. Gtg, fight'n a dragon right now.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I just want the sword and shield to continue to be Link's main arsenal, so I'm gonna say no to guns.
But any other technology could work, I suppose, as long as it still remains somewhat steakpunky and archaic... except I don't think TV really has a place in the Zelda universe, nor phones. Could you imagine LOZ with texting?

Link: Yea, b right over. Gotta collect shards of the trifrce 1st. Gtg, fight'n a dragon right now.

Funniest post ive seen in quite some time

I don't want to see Zelda technology go past ST. I loathed Spirit Tracks and because of Spirit Tracks the AT is my least favorite timeline. I hated Temple of the Ocean King but still liked Phantom Hourglass better than Spirit Tracks.

I don't think its possible to advance in the Adult Timeline without having it not be Zelda (Spirit Tracks is questionable). What's next airplanes? (Dragons don't count)

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think there's some flexibility. We've had trains, clock towers, musical concerts, giant cannons, and other technological innovations. Zelda is a series of both classical themes and innovation. I want to see the series maintain its themes and classic locations, but at the same time have room for new ideas. I figure new technologies like steamboats and what not are ok in Zelda. They just have to avoid getting too consistent with the technological innovation. If its consistent, it will warp the series into more and more steampunk and techno until we get "A Link to the Future". As long as its kept down to individual mechanisms in individual games, we're fine.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Could you imagine LOZ with texting?

That's hilarious. Somebody made a thing where OoT Link apparently had a cell phone and there was a bunch of texts from different characters. Also hilarious.

But yeah, I agree. TV or modern phones won't work, I just threw that in there to get people thinking.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
As someone who has wrote nature-based stories myself, I can understand why Zelda wants to avoid technology. Not because it wants to be at an older time period (there are some futuristic elements to it) but because Zelda wants to timeless and away from the biases of any particular time period. Especially, a recent time period or one we're living in now.

Basically, it makes things abstract and further away from our contemporary thoughts. It's a game that wants to tell a message without saying "Oh, democrats and their healthcare" or "Oh, kids today have no values" or anything ephemeral like that.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I think that this is the worst possible thread in the history of Zelda, because it proves that people have forgotten what really makes Zelda, well, Zelda.

Zelda isn't about medieval fantasy, or the Triforce, or even Zelda herself. Zelda is about solving puzzles, exploring a vast, expansive content filled world with secrets and wonderful things to find, and most of all, having fun. The title of this thread is an INSULT to what makes the franchise what it is. Even if Zelda becomes sci-fi, as long as it keeps it's core, it's still Zelda. Period.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I think that this is the worst possible thread in the history of Zelda

Quite an exaggeration.

Zelda isn't about medieval fantasy, or the Triforce, or even Zelda herself. Zelda is about solving puzzles, exploring a vast, expansive content filled world with secrets and wonderful things to find, and most of all, having fun.

So if Grand Theft Auto or Tony Hawk Underground had puzzles, secrets and is "fun", would their setting be a good template for Zelda? You're talking about the core game mechanics while excluding the actual themes, environment and setting the series has established.

Even if Zelda becomes sci-fi, as long as it keeps it's core, it's still Zelda. Period.

Sci-fi (at least if you look beyond Star Wars) has historically been an interpretation of political ideas, social issues and culture in general, which Zelda has typically isolated itself from. Am I saying these things are entirely absent in Zelda? No, but there's a limit to how attached to these things Zelda has always wanted to be and allowing modern technology in Zelda will likely cross that line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom