• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How much of the trailers, previews, reviews will you look at? Or will that spoil the game?

I have to admit I went into BOTW blind as I wasn't one of the biggest Zelda fans only having played the hell out of one Zelda game A Link to the Past on the SNES when I was a kid. I remember not reading or watching anything about it but I attended the Nintendo Switch console pre launch event in London and they had a huge Zelda BOTW area. You had to queue up to try every game on launch. We got about 15 mins on each game. A member of staff talked through roughly what to do but basically you start BOTW from when Link wakes up. I had no idea about the game but left the temple and the game panned out over hyrule. I was impressed. The staff member said "you can literally go where ever you like. You see that huge mountain over ther or that volcano over here. You can walk to it and even climb it if you wish!" I was instantly hooked at the exploration and freedom you had.

Following that experience I looked a little into the game and obviously buying a switch on release day I got BOTW day one. Me and my whole family were hooked discovering hyrule. To this day me my wife and 3 kids can sit there and watch one of us playing all day. We ploughed thousands of hours into the game and completed it multiple times (Currently playing master mode again but with no UI which is a fantastic way to play btw as you really have to look around at the scenery and not rely on your mini map as well as look at the weather conditions and if Link is shivering etc) We barely ever looked user guides or tips and tried to figure things out ourselves. Example: The wonders of cooking something you dont think anyone could of ever made or finding a korok seed in the most obscure place.

Anyway sorry for the long intro (This is my first ever post) but I wanted to hear from Zelda fans and my question is how can we experience that same sense of unknown and wonder when playing Tears of the Kingdom? I'm obsessed with Zelda now and read every article, I analyse every trailer and screenshot. I already know every inch of hyrule from BOTW so I guess I'm worried that same sense of unknown won't be so strong with this. I get there will be the sky islands and possible underground areas but what I'm hoping is they expand hyrule even further.

Will any of you avoid any spoilers or previews/reviews before launch to not ruin the game? It's going be difficult for me to not look into TOTK so much before I get it!

Last edited:
I'll take the info as it comes. As things currently stand, I only plan on watching the cutscenes for theories.

Within a week of release, though, I will really be on the lookout for leaks so I can spread rumors. Best way to dupe people in this day and age is to load them up with half truths, after all.

Dapperchihiro123

I got a key! Let me find a door!
when may starts i will not go to this forum or youtube, because that is when the correct theories will come out, and people who have been given the game early will hint at important details. I will watch the trailers, and the theories on the assumption that they are false, and come up with my own theory. the only games you can really go in blind on these days are old games that nobody played, or indie games without much hype, like hollow knight when it just came out.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'll watch all of it. While trailers are good at indicating a game's existence, by the second go around they're largely just a flashy way of presenting the game's logo. I'd rather stay informed while spending my money. Breath of the Wild was good, but nothing about it makes me want to buy a game without educating myself.

Last edited:

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I only ever watch the trailers. I don't want to see previews, as I'd rather experience those things myself, and since it's a Zelda-game, I don't really need or want to look at any reviews for it.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I may catch a gameplay trailer whenever that releases, but I'd prefer to go in as blind as possible, like I did with BotW. Even if BotW2 doesn't quite live up to the hype, it'll at least be as good as the first game, so I'm okay with knowing very little.

I've seen all of the 3 trailers. As for previews, it's mostly speculation/theory videos. With those, I just watch em to hear their thoughts. NintentoBlackCrisis, Bandit Gaming (formally Masked Nintendo Bandit), Dr Willy, among a few others.

EDIT: As far as views I'll wait a while after the release to watch em. If at all.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
We still haven’t been told what I want to know about the game.

What’s so substantially different? I mean clearly the story is different, and the world will be different too, but is there some sort of gimmick to make the game stand out? Sure, you’ve shown us a few runes, but those were a given already.

Weapon durability was a very abundant criticism, are you gonna get rid of it? If not, how are you gonna change it for the better?

How about the inventory problems? The near unlimited amount of inventory slots for food and the ease of access to single-ingredient meals that completely refilled your hearts or stamina and then some removed any semblance of difficulty. Eventide Island and a few parts of the DLC were the only time the game had any sort of a challenge, and that’s when it completely gutted Link of his equipment. What are you going to do to fix this? How about you limit the amount of healing items to say, 4-6? Maybe you can even have the player start at none and have him or her find the ability to have more? You could even contextualize it in some way, maybe a class container, like a jar or something. Oh wait, you didn’t want to do that because you’re too busy “rethinking the conventions of Zelda” to realize that maybe some of those conventions were there for a reason.

How about combat? Sure the ability to kill enemies using your environment was kinda neat, and the emphasis on using bows was a great change, but as far as melee combat goes it’s awful. Are there more than just 3 weapon types now? Did you change the attack patterns and animations so they felt less stiff? Did you do anything with the flurry rush at all?

What about the games structure? Is there actually a point to completing the games main quest now? Is there an actual difficulty progression beyond the garbage “enemies scale with you” crap that every open world game needs to have now? Do I actually get something for exploring this time beyond a sword that will fall apart if I sneeze while holding it? Basically, are you going to make it an actual Zelda game this time?

Are there gonna be actual dungeons this time? Ones with an actual structure and not just a room full of connect-the-dots “terminals?” Am I actually going to get something for doing them? What about shrines? Are you gonna get rid if those?

How are you going to change the way stats work. It’s impossible to do anything cool with stat builds in BotW because every single item has exactly one stat. The only reason why you’d ever want one armor over whatever gives you the most defense is for situational reasons like “I want to climb faster,” which last I checked was the very thing you were trying to avoid.

Are sidequests going to have a purpose this time around? Sure, heart pieces weren’t exactly the best reward out there but they were sure better than the rewards for any sidequest in BotW.

None of this has been answered yet. That’s why I’ve been so frustrated with this wait, and thats why I’ve been watching every single trailer and probably will until release. BotW was a mid tier Zelda at best to me, and I’m waiting to see TotK is going to be that again.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Nintendo usually does a great job of crafting a slow burn release for it's Zelda games. They have rarely showed me anything I thought was too much. They will dribble more information as the day draws nearer and I will watch what they give me. As soon as the game is released (and I will buy it immediately), I won't be able to watch videos about it on YouTube and I'll have to avoid certain forums and such until I've beaten the game.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'll definitely watch all trailers, and probably some previews, and for reviews I sometimes just skip to the end to see the concluding thoughts so I'll just do that w/ this game
plus usually these outlets are pretty good about giving spoiler warnings on new games so I'm not really worried about that

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I almost watched 4 hours of botw game play before getting a switch and partially ruined my experience. Wouldn't do that again

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I will watch trailers if I run across them, or friends share them with me, but won’t go out of my way to search for anything. I don’t need to go in totally blind, I’m just not going to hype myself up. I’ve had two disappointing titles in a row for me (3 if you count a remaster of the first disappointment) and that’s because I was expecting more than I was given.

As for reviews, I don’t typically care about them. If a game interests me, I’m going to play it. Though I will care about what my friends have to say, we don’t always like the same types of games, but I will take their opinions into some consideration since we often enjoy similar gameplay elements.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'll probably end up doing what I did for BotW; look for any gameplay footage I can get my hands on but avoid plot details like the plague. I'll watch any trailers that come out and any gameplay demonstrations, as well. I wanna know how it plays above all else. The only thing I wanna be blind on is the story stuff.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Honestly, it's really difficult for me to avoid trailers and information that drops about games I am interested in because...it just is. :sweat:

I will probably watch or read anything Nintendo puts out about the game which might spoil myself a little bit. However, I always avoid gameplay videos because I like to experience games for myself. I think it takes the fun out of it if I am watching someone else play, especially with a game focused on exploration.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I'm going to look at everything Nintendo puts out for the game. When AoC was coming out I was super hyped. It was one of the first new games I saw releasing since I became a Zelda fan. I pretty much Googled the title daily to watch for news. I watched every trailer within a few hours of it releasing. Honestly, that hype and desire to talk and theorize about is partly what made me decide to join a forum a few months later. But I get super excited when it comes to new releases, and for me to not keep up with everything I'd probably have to physically restrain myself. I'm curious to see what's coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom