• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Much Do You Know About Computers?

How much do you know about computers?

• I am a computer genius

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am very smart with computers

• I am fairly knowlageable

• I only know the basics

• Whats a computer?

• Total voters

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I only know the basics around computers lol.. though i know enough to keep the one i got for high school graduation up and running this long lol..

I'm a computer genius. My knowledge in computers is immeasurable. lol No, but I seriously have a gift.

I have ATON of experience with computers,I built my own computer (I knew how to build a computer since i was like 10)and I spend all my time on newegg.com also I can repair and fix computers.So I'm a computer genius...anybody else that likes computers as much as me...welcome to the club:)

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Eh, I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about computers. Not enough to program one or build one though. I will say that I considered good enough with one that my parents and such ask me questions about them when something goes wrong, but other than that, that's about it. I would love to learn how to program and build a computer though. It sounds interesting and could be a bit of fun (especially the 'building a computer' part :) ).

Djinn

and Tonic
I consider myself knowledgeable enough to actually know for a fact that I do not know very much about computers. There are many people who struggle with this fact and like to think that they know immensely more than they really do until they hit the wall of absolute confusion of exactly what button they pressed or just how they managed to change that setting and need to call people to discover just how to change it back. Only to repeat the process by going back out and telling people that they are simply amazing with all things computer related and then they attempt to take on tasks that they cannot possibly attempt.

In fact I think my area of expertise is more in the hardware aspects. I can build computers well enough out of whatever parts I can gain access to or get through microcenter, Fry's, or Tiger direct. I have been ordering parts parts and building computers from them for many years now so through experience (and a little trial and error) I can make them well enough. It is just the software aspects that I am not entirely useful for. At least everything that is beyond the average user capabilities. Generally for any error messages I will google the solution for or cobble together a solution based around what I hear or am told from others. This often recreates a multitude of other issues later on down the road because I am certain I almost never use the correct fix for any problem ever. This has also led to a lot of other really strange situations involving just plain weird things occurring. As I think anyone that knows me well enough can tell you.

Last edited:
T

TwilightWolf22

I'm actually pretty good with computers. I'm not super experienced with the all the programming, but one of my favorite hobbies is modding old PC games. I know a bit about the hardware, too, I helped my dad build a computer a few months ago. My dad used to work for Microsoft and is a computer GENIUS. Whenever I need help with anything, I can just ask him. Very convienient.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I'm fairly knowledgable with computers. From the first day I had to do it all myself since my brother refused to help me. He wanted me to google things so I could figure it all out and learn more. It worked :D I know enough to help myself out and my former pc's crashed all the time so I learned a lot but I'm by far so NOT an expert and even far from a genius either and never will be a genius

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
In terms of hardware, I've learned everything I know about from my currently 10 year old desktop. Despite its age, it's my current desktop, and due to financial difficulties, I've lacked the money to build a new one, but I've done plenty of research to not only improve this computer, but to also work on computers in the future. I've learned every method of board input from PCI to AGP and PCI Express 2.0 x16. (PCI Express 3.0 isn't big yet, so I leave it out.)

I've learned about various RAM speeds, IDE vs. SATA, and even overclocking, just from my computer. My parents handed me this computer a few years ago, and since then, I've been adding parts and building it from a Pentium IV (3.2GHz, HT-enabled) with only an old ATI card, 1.5GB of RAM (PC3200), and a 120GB hard drive to a semi-powerful machine with 3.5GB of RAM (that's the most I can get with Windows 7 32-bit anyways), 500GB of space, and two video cards (NVIDIA 8400GS on PCI (512MB GDDR2), and ATI Radeon HD 4670 (1GB GDDR3)).

In terms of software, however, don't expect me to solve any programming errors, for hardware is where my expertise lies. :P

Kazumi

chagy
I would consider myself "very smart" with computers. This is both on the software and hardware side of things. I have the ability to build a computer from scratch, and have definitely upgraded and replaced parts in computers before with little to no trouble. I know about the differences that exist within different types and brands of components, and I would be able to recommend which components to purchase. I've also been following recent trends and changes in the hardware industry, especially since I'm planning to build a new computer this summer and need to decide what to buy.

In terms of software, I'm also fairly knowledgeable. I can definitely USE most software perfectly fine, but I have some experience with programming on multiple different platforms. I have a decent knowledge of HTML and CSS, and a fairly decent knowledge of Python, with a limited knowledge yet still an understanding of how Java and Ruby work. I would like to become much better at programming, especially when it comes to Java and PHP.

Rishian

The Meat Shield
I would classify myself as a computer genius. I built a few computers over the years, am the go to guy for all my friends when their computer goes down, and even made a quicky program so that when the time for enrollment for my classes came up for University, it automatically spammed the enroll button so I didn't have to so that I could get into my classes. :D

So ya, those are just some of the reasons I would say I am a computer genius.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I wish I knew more about computers than I do. Ironically I have a degree in IT, but that's based on programming and other "surface" stuff, tell me to "fix" a computer error and I'm kinda useless, tell me to physically build one, I wouldn't stand a chance...

Being since the ratio of people who ask me for help with computers to people who I ask for help with computers is about 100:0, I guess I'll pick genius, though I think that's only because there are so many computer illiterates dragging the curve down. :P

It's kind of subjective though. I like programming, Linux, media encoding, PC building, networking and lots of general computing stuff, but I don't really feel like a genius. I just know the stuff because I have to know it to do what I want to do.

All of my friends and family considers me to be a technological genius, so I'm sure I stand out in that particular spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom