• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Many Times in Your Live Did You Move? And What Do You Like/dislike About Moving?

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I have moved twice - out of my parents' house into an apartment, and then into a house. I don't like the stress of not knowing when the new place is available and all that goes with it. I don't like moving all the stuff and packing it and unpacking. But I do enjoy figuring out where things can go in a new place, and getting a new place is always exciting :)

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
My parents told me we moved 5 times, but I only remember moving 3 times. Moving is alright, but the worse thing about moving is it takes too long to get moved & comfortable. The first few days I moved the house I'm currently in, I forgot where I was when I woke up.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Let's see, I've lived in 6 places and moved a total of 7 times
- When I was 16 I moved out to a neighbouring town to go a specific high school
- When I was 17 I moved back home for the summer before moving to a town a bit further away to go to another high school
- When I was 19 I moved back home for a year, because I wanted to take a year off to work and save up money before college
- When I was 20 I moved to my current town to go to college
- When I was 23, the lease was up and I moved to another place not to far from there
- When I was 28 I bought myself an apartment and moved to a different part of town

I had help on all those moves by my parents (and once my sister), but the last time me and my flatmate did everything ourselves.

What I dislike about moving:
1) Packing everything up and living the last few days with bare walls and most your stuff in boxes.
2) Physically moving everything out of your old place and into the new, it's exhausting, especially if you're moving out of a third floor walk-up with only a narrow winding staircase to carry everything down.
3) Cleaning the old place. I really don't like cleaning in general, but to clean a place to such a degree and not get to benefit personally from all that work is not fun.
(Vee, I'm very gradeful I haven't had to do any painting or wallpapering before moving in anywhere, I probably would have hated that)

What I like about moving:
1) The excitement of having a new place to live
2) Planning out how I want to arrange my furniture and things in every room
3) Putting together new pieces of furniture (yes, I'm one of those crazy people who enjoy assembling Ikea furniture)
4) Unpacking - yes, I actually love unpacking and organizing everything. Right after moving into my place I spent the next three days organizing the entire place, room by room, working long into the night to do so.

The one time I had to organize the entire move myself, I found the organizing part to be very overwhelming and tedious, having to spend so much time thinking out everything that needed to be done. However the immense pride I felt when I had carried in that last box of things and realized I had actually pulled off moving myself and my flatmate without any outside help, it was one of the best feelings I've ever had. Right then and there I felt as though I could do anything, lol.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I moved when I was ten. We didn't move very far – we were still within the state and the city. But I was so sad, because it forced me to move schools and leave behind my old friends. Because the school year started before we moved, my mom decided to drive my sister and I all the way to our new school every morning to avoid conflict by transferring later in the year, and I had to pass by my old school every single day. Supposedly I commented on it every morning. I, of course, hardly remember anything now. XD

I have moved 3 times in my life. I lived with my parents and grandparents from the time I was born until I was 4. Then my parents and I moved into a duplex. We lived there until I was 12. Then we moved into the bigger side of the duplex and we lived there until I was 20. Then in late September 2012 we moved back in with my grandparents. Its a different house than before. I didn't want to move the first two times because I got really attached to both houses. But this most recent move I was pretty much all for it. The last year at the old house wasn't a very good one. I don't think Id mind the future fourth move either.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
About 4 times. All on the same state. It's great to move to all different places, but the packing is the thing I dislike most. So much stuff to pack. I do like unpacking to organize your stuff the way you want it to be.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I've moved a lot... I was born and raised in the big city (I lived in the Greater Vancouver Area for half my life). I lived in Surrey, BC for a few years, then moved to Delta, BC for 3 years, then moved to historic Fort Langley, BC for about a year and a half, then crossed the river and moved to Maple Ridge, BC for about 10 months. Our biggest move came after that. We finally left the city and moved to small town Revelstoke, BC, which is about 530km away (aproxximately 330 miles). I've lived in Revelstoke since I was nine, but I've moved houses three times (a fourth coming June first)

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I've never moved. Well, technically, when I was just a baby, my parents, brother, and I moved into a new house, though it was still on the same land in the same relative position. We didn't really move, just switched houses.

Moved once when I was 6 from Florida to North Carolina, a state I had never even heard of. At the time I didn't like anything about it, and disliked moving away from the only place I had ever known. We lived in a small town where pretty much everyone knew everybody else. The funny thing is that after we moved lots of other people started moving to where we did, and all of the towns are connected. The worst part is that I don't remember a lot of living in Florida, whether that be because I was too little or the fact that I've had multiple head injuries and probably have brain damage.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Have You Ever Moved Before?

A simple question, really. Have you ever moved in your life? If yes, how many times have you moved? Care to share where you moved to and from? Regardless, was the move a big change for you? Did it impact you in a positive, negative or neutral way? Do you plan on moving in the future? Discuss.

Yes. I have moved many times—too many to count, in fact. My first big move occurred when I was just a few months old. My parents divorced, and my mom moved to another state with me and my siblings in tow. If I had not have been just a pup back then, the whole experience would have been a huge culture shock for me, seeing as my hometown was a podunk town in the south, while the new place was a big, bustling city in the north. Until I was about eleven years old, I'd spend time in the south at my dad's off and on, which counts as moving...a lot.

I've moved a lot in recent years as well. I sorta left the proverbial "nest" at sixteen, and since then, I've lived just about every city in Michigan (lol). No, I am not homeless, but I guess one could say I'm a nomad. I can never stick around in one place for very long without getting bored. As such, I've moved to three different apartments since then (not counting my "down times"), two instances of which my brother and I were roommates. I plan on moving again in August...

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I moved around quite a bit when I was little, we lived in the inner city in a very rough neighbourhood, obviously I can't remember much as I was only a baba. Then when my dad left us, we moved to my Aunt's house and then we moved again when I was three outside of the city into the nice suburbs and we haven't moved since.

I don't really remember much about moving around to be honest, so where I live now, i basically associate as my only home, but it looks like I'll be moving out soon anyway, ya know, growing up and all :/

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I lived in London my whole life, in the same house. It's in a kind of rough inner city area, but I've never been intimidated by that because I'm used to it. However, last september when I started university I moved to Canterbury, which is a "small city" (to those of us who have lived in a real city, that means medium sized town) in Kent. It's really nice, and historic, and stuff, but it was kind of a culture shock to me. It's a much slower pace of life down there, people are friendlier, and you don't feel like anything bad will possibly happen*. Then I dropped out of uni because I was unhappy for many reasons. I moved back home to London, and that's where I am now. I miss the pace of life though. I don't think I'll live here forever, but who knows? I'll probably move out of the nest again in a year or two, when I'm more emotionally and financially settled.

*Asterisk in honour of the Canterbury Cannibal, who hit the headlines shortly after I left the town.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I moved when I was a few months old but I don't remember my apartment and I don't claim to. :I

The area it is in, though, DOES look sort of like a home to me. It looks familiar, at least. And the surrounding area? Actually gorgeous. But yet it's still called the projects :/

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Here are all the times I moved.

I moved from Mesa, Arizona to Bellefountaine, Ohio in 1998
I moved from Bellefountiane, Ohio to Marrysville, Ohio around 2001
I moved from Marrysville, Ohio to Chandler, Arizona in 2004
I moved from Chandler, Arizona to Gilbert, Arizona in 2005
I moved to another part of Gilbert in 2007

I hope I don't move anymore. :mellow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom