• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Many Times Do You Read Your Posts?

How many times?

• 1 (only during composition)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5+

• Total voters

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Including the act of composing the post, I read them three times. Once as I'm writing of course, once after I'm done but before I submit (sometimes I just skim), and once after I've submitted (again, often skimming). You'd be surprised how many typos make it past two rounds of scrutiny. Though I usually reread for flow and clarity rather than spelling.

And then there are those times when I come across a particularly well-composed post I made a long time ago and read it again just for enjoyment.

poll because I can and it's free

Ganondork

goo
It depends. If it's a particularly long post, I'll re read it every hundred words or so. I occasionally find a typo or two. Then when I'm done, I do a lot - a lot - of skimming. I general never find anything wrong in this one, short of a BBCode error or two. Then when I'm done and post it, I catch every typo. 10 minutes or so after it's been posted.

Then if it's a particularly well thought out post, I'll read it again and give my ego a good stroke.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
I'd have to say that I'm in the same boat as you here, Locke, albeit I do go through it the third time just to ensure there aren't any notable spelling or grammatical errors, because that stuff just bugs me. So, I'll read it while I'm typing it out, read it again once it's all typed out, and then go over it a final time after it's posted in order to look for and fix anything I somehow failed to notice when I read it over the first two times.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I normally read my post two or three times before I actually post it. But after I've posted it, I read it one or two more times, just in case. I like to be thorough with these things. Even this post is not an exception.

I voted "3" on the poll because I was only counting the times I read it before making the post, not after.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I'm pretty similar. For larger debate posts, I'll compose it entirely in the "Go Advanced" option and update it every few lines or whenever I make a major change. Then I read it again after I post to see if anything odd sticks out. If I happen to read the thread again, I'll give it another look because why not?

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
For me it really depends on what kind of post it was. If it was in my graphics thread, I look at it frequently. If it was in The Daily Happy Thread, I probably only look at it once.

I usually reread my posts frequently during composition, even if they end up being only a couple sentences long, because I'm really, really picky about diction and syntax and all that. Sometimes, if I'm stuck with an underdeveloped idea, reading through what I've got up to that point a few times helps me figure out what exactly I'm trying to say and where I'm trying to go with my post. I generally don't have problems with typos or punctuation/capitalization due to my thoroughness during the composition phase.

After submitting the post I'll read it once or twice more just in case. Perhaps then I'll make such simple edits as changing a single adjective, and sometimes I'll make larger edits if I feel like I was unclear or strayed significantly off-topic. Then I'll read it again, and it isn't until I'm 100% satisfied that I leave it be.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
It depends if I can be bothered and also the importance of the topic.

If I'm creating a thread or making a detailed post I'll try to check over it for any mistakes as typing on a tablet (thanks Danny Auto) can lead to a lot of typos and whatnot. Mainly I will usually just skim a post just to check for any major typos/errors, but that's about it. I'll look back at a previous post if I do come across it again and I'll check just for good measure. And yeah, it's odd how many little things you miss when you look back at a later time (typos, grammar etc.).

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I clicked on the wrong poll option... oops... :I

I meant to select 2 instead of 1. Because I usually type out a post, read through it, then preview it to make sure all the BBCode and formatting stuff is correct. I tend to spot typos when I read it during composition, but I fix any that I find in the preview. If I fix one part of a post, say the first or second paragraph for example, then I start reading from the beginning again.

Occasionally, if I see an old post of mine while looking through a thread, I'll give it a read because why not!

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I post very often from my phone so I don't look over it that much. But if I am writing something of length I'll read it over 2-3 times before posting. And I ALWAYS read it over after posting.

Sheik

:the:
Eh, I'll skim through it once during composition just to check if everything is spelled correctly and all. Like my school essays.

...For instance, just now, I changed "everytihng" to "everything"... but I'm too lazy to loook back at it again... meeehh

I have a tendency to read any given post an indeterminate number of times prior to publishing it—mainly to pinpoint any errors in spelling, grammar, syntax, and usage. This is especially true with longer posts, which I tend to review and edit after every paragraph or so before moving onto clicking "Preview Post" and re-reading the entire post once (or twice) again. All of my posts are composed with the Advanced option. Composing one post can take me anywhere from one to four hours, depending on the structure, importance, or length. HOWEVER... There have been rare occasions upon which I've posted something without editing and such, which was the case with my recent blog entry (I hope there aren't any errors).

And, yeah, I am a frequent reviewer of all of my posts. I often go back as far as 2011 to read my old posts. Like, Keith, I love to hear myself speak...er, post.

So, yeah ten times or more...

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Three - During composition, pre-submission proofread, post-submission proofread. Sometimes I'll look at a post again if it gets a like and I have no idea what it was about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom