• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Many Hearts?

My philosophy on heart containers:

• 3-heart challenge baby!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I get the boss heart containers but don't worry about optional heart pieces.

• I look for heart pieces but find less than half of them.

• I look for heart pieces and find almost all of them.

• There's always that one you can't reach!

• All of them. You can never have enough love.

• What was the question? I just like ticky boxes.

• Total voters

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
How many heart containers (meaning both boss containers and the container you get when you have collected enough pieces of heart) do you usually have at the end of the game (any game)?

I was very paranoid (with good reason, I was very bad *g*) in my first few games and methodically collected them all because I was convinced I would die at the end of the game without them. That being said, I am so bad at archery in OoT that I always have 19.75 at the end of it (the last unclaimed piece being from the archery on horseback game. Yes, that's right, I can't even get 1000 points.)

Majora's Mask was even worse thanks to all those mini-games I am terrible at, but I was less paranoid about those. I still collected about 18.

I have finally realized I don't need that many, but I'm not sure what my minimum would be. You?

ETA: If a game has optional heart containers instead of heart pieces, mentally substitute that in the poll instead. :)

Last edited:

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I never fight the last battle until I've obtained all the hearts. It's like this weird thing I can't seem to control. Kind of like how I have to pick up EVERY RUPEE. I don't bother so much with getting everything else... I finish other quests after I've won the game, but with hearts, I dunno, I have to get them all. It's a habit that started when I first picked up Zelda. My dad would say, "You need all the hearts or you'll die!" when I was little, so now it's something that just sticks with me. I know now that I don't need them all, but I guess being convinced that I did when I was younger just formed a habit.

Din Akera

Sniper
In my first run through of a game that is new to me. I will seek them out to some extent. If i can see it, I will do EVERYTHING I can to get to it, or if I'm sure that a mini-game will result in a heart piece, then I will work at it until I get it. But I don't find them all. THis usually sets me up with enough to complete the game.

The next couple time through though I will look harder and try to find as many as I can. Then after that I will usually have a need to complete the game 100%, so I will come online here and find out where the ones are that I have missed...
:D

Austin

Austin
I always set out with the intent to collect a lot of heart pieces but I simply don't have the disicpline to stick with it. Most of the time I don't need any other hearts besides the ones you get from boss battles, so it's never been to much of an issue.

Jmonkey71

Master of Monkeys
I try to find them when I can, but sometimes I'm just too lazy to get them. I usually see one, but I don't have the stuff I need to get it, and when I get the stuff, I've already forgotten about it.

Seamus

Pinball Wizard
I get all of the boss containers. I collect the other pieces around in the game, but never go out of my to get all of them.

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
While I'm going through a dungeon or a field, and if I know that there is a heart piece around me, I'll do whatever I can to get it. I tend to get most of them but I can never get all of them... ^ ^;

octorok74

TETTAC
I collect all boss containers, plus I look for other heart pieces. The only problem is that some of them I just don't care about. I collect enough heart pieces/containers to keep me alive during the final boss fight.

Sparky

Crawfish Prime
I swear i've posted in a thread like this already.....

On topic, I always go for all Heart Containers and Pieces on my first playthrough, usually before the final boss, with the exception of any archery related heart pieces you can't use the Wiimote on.

Most subsequent playthroughs after that are either 3 heart challenges or "As much heart containers you have if you pick up one after every boss" playthroughs.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I swear i've posted in a thread like this already.....

I did a search beforehand for both "polls" and "hearts", but I may have missed an old topic.

I find it interesting that no one yet has said they don't look for them, though it's probably because it does depend on the game. I need all the hearts I can get in AlttP (as much as for the overworld as for the dungeon bosses!) but could probably survive with just the boss containers in TP (I'd be using my fairies in the final battle, though.) I think I'd be okay with less in Ocarina of time, though I can't say for sure as those bosses really gave me trouble the first time and I haven't replayed it enough times to say with confidence that I've learned them well.

I normally have a rough estimate of 13-17 hearts by the time I get to the end of the game. I normally try to find the ones I'm missing after the final boss. The only games where I actually got all Heart Containers before the final boss was the Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link, and Majora's Mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom