• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Many Dungeons?

Alar

Clothed in Green
I would prefer it to be a mixture of oot and mm lots of side quests accompanied with quite a few dungeons

David

But you called me here...
Minimum of 8 dungeons with progressing difficulty. And tons and tons of side quests that include, and are not limited to, extra bosses harder than the final boss, mini games, endurance dungeons, and lots more. I really want SS to be a really long game worthy of my everlasting interest.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I would want both! Secret dungeons, and lots n' lots of sidequests!... and secret dungeons! I hope there is a Take em all on thing!

I wish there would be like 10 normal dungeons, 10 secret dungeons, and like 50 sidequests! And interactive NPCs! PLEASE NINTENDO, MAKE THE NPCS INTERACTIVE, ALIVE, AND A PERSONALITY!!! Yeah.

Last edited:

initialDable

going deku
I think about five main dungeons would be good. There should also be some side mini-dungeons as well.

*edit* Aero_Dynamic, now that I think of it 10 dungeons would be amazing.

Last edited:

Majora's Cat

How about that
Five main dungeons? That would make an absolutely disasterous game. I say Skyward Sword should have 9 dungeons as OoT and TP did.

Even though I'd like quite a large amount of dungeons, I still believe SS should sport many sidequests and mini-dungeons for every true Zelda fan's satisfaction. The truth is we all want a game that is long, but equally balanced in dungeons and sidequests. I would like a combination of OoT's lengthy dungeons and Majora's Mask's multiple detailed sidequests like masks. Perhaps Skyward Sword will incorporate something new into it like masks from MM. That is highly unlikely because Miyamoto and Iwata claim that Skyward Sword will have less items and be more focused around battle.

I'd really like Skyward Sword to take dungeons in Zelda to a whole 'nother level. I want them to be moody, well-designed and mostly of all... lengthy. I felt that although Twilight Princess' dungeons were very well-designed and graphically impressive, they really weren't too lengthy or difficult. The massive size of TP and WW's dungeons often fooled players - we expect something huge considering the size of the dungeons themselves, right? Wrong. The 8+ floors in some of Twilight Princess' dungeons were not put to use at all. I walked into the Temple of Time expecting to face a whale of a dungeon. Instead I receive a dungeon that is completely linear and not at all difficult. It's sad but true. Wind Waker did the same, but not on such a larger scale. My point is that quality should never be traded for quantity.

Thus, I want Skyward Sword to have massive dungeons but still cram was many unique and brain-teasing puzzles into that space a possible. It's hard to pay so much attention to quality and detail when designing 9 massive dungeons... but it is absolutely necessary to make Skyward Sword a smashing success. As much work as possible must be put into SS, every drop of sweat and every ounce of soul the game designers have should go into making SS a quality game. TP started to fall short near the end - the last two dungeons didn't seem to have as much quality as the fourth, fifth and seventh dungeons. I believe that Skyward Sword should also take a page out of Majora's Mask's book. MM focused a lot on character development and always left you feeling bad for the characters you helped. You actually felt attached to the characters as you watch their hope dwindle as the menacing moon falls down. This focus on sidequests and minor characters is what made Majora's Mask such a great game - I'm hoping that Skyward Sword can at least incorporate a little bit of MM's magic.

It was also the amount of collectibles in MM that made sidequests such a big deal. Not only were there an insane amount of extra items and upgrades, but they were all monsterously difficult to obtain. I hope a little bit of this carries over into SS. Though it's not so likely, I hope that a few lengthy sidequests are put in there. I really like the attention directed towards fancy swordplay, but that is nothing compared to the quality and quantity of dungeons. If SS falls short when it comes to actually being a good game, I'm going to cry.

I just hope that Nintendo isn't focusing too much of their attention on the motion controls. They shouldn't forget about sidequests and dungeons either. :)

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
@Majora's Cat: I totally agree with you!

I really hope there is good NPC interactions

initialDable

going deku
Five main dungeons? That would make an absolutely disasterous game. I say Skyward Sword should have 9 dungeons as OoT and TP did.
Good point that would make SS have a more classic Zelda feel to it since in addition to OoT and TP, LoZ has 9 dungeons also. I was just guessing about five because I keep hearing how it is going to have fewer dungeons, but more to them or something along those lines.

David

But you called me here...
@Majora's Cat: I completely agree with you.

Nintendo MUST spend a lot of time on the game. If they don't, they are completely missing out on a potentially good game that could draw more and more fans into the series than any other game has. SS is one of the most anticipated games and if Nintendo doesn't do anything about that, then they are wasting their time. I really want there to be plenty of dungeons with an equal amount of side quests. If the game isn't long, I don't know what I'm going to do with my life. Unless the game is uber high quality, then i'll think that I wasted my time and money. But, I probably won't seeing as how I absolutely love the series anyway.

Quality over quantity always!

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
My gut instinct is to say "nine or ten." However, it's been said that Skyward Sword is changing up the dungeon design, and it depends on how extensive that turns out to be. One thing I liked about Majora's Mask was how it was necessary to defeat Ikana castle before entering the Stone Temple Tower - it was a mini-dungeon that wasn't optional. To me, that's one way the game could have less dungeons and still be great. It could also be the case that we enter an entire area that's a "dungeon", so to speak, but don't realize it at first because it's not based on a single element. That could give us a potentially huge dungeon while still maintaining variety.

However, Twilight Princess did set a good precedent with scope of the game. Obviously it depends on the player - and I for one and very lousy at noticing the obvious - but my first play through took quite a long time. Anything shorter than that is going to feel like a let-down, and longer, required dungeons would go a long way in that area.

Regarding sidequests, personally, I'd like a trading sequence again. I think those are a good way to allow you to interact with characters and make you explore many different areas. The thing about sidequests, though, is that the player expects some kind of reward at the end of them. That's why they worked so well in Majora's Mask, because several of them rewarded you with masks. I enjoy sidequests, but if there were a lot to be included in Skyward Sword, they'd need some kind of explanation. Which can be done - I just feel like they can require as much time and effort on the designer's part as a dungeon could.

Master Sword13

thatjoshoverthere
Personally, I love dungeons. I can't even begin to imagine a Zelda Game without them. As for more or less, I'd say more. Maybe they'll do around 7 or 8 dungeons you need to beat, and then do other dungeons that you can do, like an endurance dungeon, or better yet, a dungeon that revolves all around puzzles. Think of trying to do a block puzzle when an enemy comes and pushes all the blocks back to mess you up! The look on anyone's face when that happens would be priceless.

i think i want about 5-6 dungeons. however i would expect these to be very large. my reasoning for this being that i recent games i find the dungeon's themes to be a little weird. The temple of time and the temple of courage are prime examples of this. also the sand temple in spirit tracks seemed a little out of place.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I want the dungeon level to be ten or more, like in ALttP. I would also like a lot of sidequests with USEFUL rewards.
I also want an EPIC final dungeon.

I want maybe 7 really long complex dungeons much like the ones in Majora's Mask. I want sidequests in the dungeons, like collecting the stray fairies and I want there to be a big emphasis on character development and side quests. I'd rather have side quests but if they can add more dungeons, please do! As long as they are fleshed out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom