• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How Many Dungeons Do You Want in the New Zelda?

How many dungeons do you want in the new Zelda?

• more, like 12+ dungeons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• As few as possible 4 or 5

• Total voters
I don't know about you guys, the out-of-dungeon main quest activities can feel like chores at times, to me, the dungeons are rarely boring, that's whenI feel like I'm actually progressing in the game.

It's all personal preference. Sometimes I do really enjoy dungeon segments (Ancient Cistern, Jabu-Jabu's Belly (OoA)), but a lot of the time it feels like a chore (Fire Temple (OoT), Jabu-Jabu's Belly (OoT), Sky Keep, Blind's Hideout, to name a few).

In fact, the reason it took me so long to get through Darksiders II is because it's, like, almost all dungeon. The design was stellar, but I prefer to explore the land. You know, no agenda, just relax and admire the world. Maybe find some secrets or go on some quests.

But the "out-of-dungeon main quest activities" can definitely feel like chores too, e.g. pretty much all of them in Twilight Princess. A lot of the ones in Skyward Sword too. The Oracle games though? Those had awesome overworld segments, save maybe for Rolling Ridge in OoA.

To satisfy me content-wise, the new Zelda would have the exploration quality of ALttP, the dungeons be a hybrid (in terms of both quantity and quality) of Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask, the side quest quality of Majora's Mask, and the dungeon-overworld balance of the Oracle games.

To just have a crap-load of dungeons be the 'content' of the game I think would feel shallow and reek of unfulfilled potential. But those are just my ideals. Anyone else's are just as valid.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
The dungeon usually feels like filler to me...only some of them in OoT, TP, and SS actually felt relevant (mainly because it didn't feel like the story stopped the moment you entered).

Salem

SICK
To satisfy me content-wise, the new Zelda would have the exploration quality of ALttP, the dungeons be a hybrid (in terms of both quantity and quality) of Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask, the side quest quality of Majora's Mask, and the dungeon-overworld balance of the Oracle games.

To just have a crap-load of dungeons be the 'content' of the game I think would feel shallow and reek of unfulfilled potential. But those are just my ideals. Anyone else's are just as valid.
Add in alttp's dungeon count WITH the "quality" of MM's and SS' dungeons, and we'll be all set.

For SS though, I expected more dungeons, considering it had one of the longest development time of any Zelda game.

1 dungeon.

Think about it. The whole game is a dungeon. It's like, The Twilight Zone for nerds.

On second thought, the Twilight Zone is already for nerds.
You know what? That sounds awesome.:xd:

The dungeon usually feels like filler to me...only some of them in OoT, TP, and SS actually felt relevant (mainly because it didn't feel like the story stopped the moment you entered).
That thought never struck me before, I completely disagree though, the main focus of Zelda games have always been dungeons, not the plot, I doubt they can ever be "filler". Besides, I don't recall the plot ever "stopping" when we enter dungeons, at least for the 3D titles.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
That thought never struck me before, I completely disagree though, the main focus of Zelda games have always been dungeons, not the plot, I doubt they can ever be "filler". Besides, I don't recall the plot ever "stopping" when we enter dungeon, at least for the 3D titles.

Ever watch Naruto? I swear, the first series focused more on filler than the actual story. The difference is that Naruto's filler sucked and I enjoy Zelda's "filler". Anyway, to me, it always felt like the story took a small hiatus whenever I entered the dungeon. Although some like the Fire Temple, Goron Mines, Snowpeak Ruins, and Sandship are an exception.

Last edited:

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I would love as many posible high qulity dungeons. How ever that would never happen.
Ever watch Naruto? I swear, the first series focused more on filler than the actual story. The difference is that Naruto's filler sucked and I enjoy Zelda's "filler". Anyway, to me, it always felt like the story too a small hiatus whenever I entered the dungeon. Although some like the Fire Temple, Goron Mines, Snowpeak Ruins, and Sandship are an exception.

2 things the amount of filler compared to story in shippuden is twice as much as the original. In the original there was filler every now and then. (Then they just piled it on after the retrieval arc)

second to your last point to each there own. I dont play zelda games for the story so never relly payed attention it felt like a continues experience to me.

Salem

SICK
Ever watch Naruto? I swear, the first series focused more on filler than the actual story. The difference is that Naruto's filler sucked and I enjoy Zelda's "filler". Anyway, to me, it always felt like the story took a small hiatus whenever I entered the dungeon. Although some like the Fire Temple, Goron Mines, Snowpeak Ruins, and Sandship are an exception.
If by filler you mean material that wasn't originally from the Manga? I don't recall there being much of it in the first series, there was that marathon arc and the one after the one Sasuke leaves the village, other then that, I dunno.

I dunno abou the dungeon, I always felt the dungeons in all the 3D Zelda games were connected to Link's quest in some way, so I don't really know how they "qualify" as filler.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I want tons and tons and tons of original, creative dungeons with all kinds of secrets to find and places to explore. I don't even care if it has a stupid gimmick, like the rolling ball in the Earth Temple (SS). At least 20 will do, plus DLC dungeons. About 50 DLC dungeons.

Salem

SICK
I want tons and tons and tons of original, creative dungeons with all kinds of secrets to find and places to explore. I don't even care if it has a stupid gimmick, like the rolling ball in the Earth Temple (SS). At least 20 will do, plus DLC dungeons. About 50 DLC dungeons.
Yeah, I don't think all DLC is bad, extra dungeons, like a ton for the new Zelda game, will be acceptable.

christewks

King of the Zoras
As many as possible! I think that one of the things that make a Zelda game great is the length of it, and the longer it is the more you can appreciate it!:)

Mido

Version 1
I'd say that Zelda U should just stick to its guns and fire a salvo of, so to say, around 7-8 major dungeons?

I say this because I've grown fond of the Part 1-Plot Twist-Part 2 story that TLOZ utilizes in its games. I especially think that with said dungeons, in the respective parts of the game's story arc, should be done with some liberty. (Reference to Order of Dungeons.)

I would love to see 12+ dungeons in Zelda Wii U. I'm hoping they take a page from Skyrim or Darksiders II and throw in some optional/sidequest dungeons (kinda like Gerudo Training Ground) that have rewards at the end like upgrades or heart pieces.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom