• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Long Until We Get a Female Link?

How long do you think it'll be until Female Link arises?

• 2 years, shouldn't be long

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 years

• 10 years, tops

• Never, it wouldn't workout.

• Total voters
I do not see why it couldn't work... because each Link is different.. but I'm not sure I would want it like that.. I think of link as pretty much the same person reborn every generation or two.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A female link WOuld NEVER work out. Dont you think it would be weird if you saw a woman with a sword,beating up ganondorf??
Nope, I don't think it would be weird. Different yeah, but not weird. Heck, feminists and regular females in general are starting to do the more 'masculine' jobs in real life and I don't see anyone complaining! On a video game level, it still isn't weird to me as I've seen Zelda beat up characters in Smash Bros series, Samus is the cornerstone of Metroid, and there are several other female leads. A female Link could still identify with males because at the core, female Link is just another Link. Different on the outside, still has that same shell on the inside.

I do not see why it couldn't work... because each Link is different.. but I'm not sure I would want it like that.. I think of link as pretty much the same person reborn every generation or two.
That's why it could work, Link is the same person generally speaking, they all have the same shell of 'courageous youth who eventually faces the worst of the evil in the land'. We had baby Link (Wind Waker Link) do it with his little sister Aryll, OoT Link did it though not of his own accord, OoTMM Link did it and with much success at that; Skyward Sword Link is shaping up to be that way as well, from what I've seen and read of gameplay trailers/interviews. A theoretical female Link wouldn't break the formula whatsoever, besides a few subtle changes of gender roles of the Link character and some NPCs if those are even required on the part of the NPCs.

So yes, I recognize that it would be different to have a female Link. To some it would be weird. But that under no circumstances means that it couldn't work – Zelda has seen change in almost every single way possible outside of gender. We've had formula changes by way of dungeon, we almost got voice acting what with TWW and TP providing grunts and almost-voice, graphical changes, gameplay changes, music changes, even slight story changes/revisions done. Female Link wouldn't be too hard to implement. If a CD-i game can have Zelda defeating Ganon and form a cult, I'm pretty sure a girl Link done properly would become a legend.

Hmm I could see it no one said the hero chosen by the god had to be male.That is an interesting topic to consider that one day they could do that.It might be a bit different but if the game is good no one would have a problem with it.

S

Spirit Tracks

Yeah, maybe zelda killing ememies in super smash bros. is understandable, but for me, i just wonder how weird it would be to play twilight princess being a female.. and plus 94 out of 114 ppl said it wont work out. just saying..

Last edited by a moderator:
To see a Female Link is Possible. In fact it also has a possability, in a new Zelda, that you can temporeraly play as a Female Link, just like Kafei in Majora's Mask.

I don't know, only time will tell.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'm fairly certain this won't happen at all, if ever. The Legend of Zelda is just as original as Mario--it can keep going forever, while the formula changes only slightly. I'm not saying it would be improbable, but the day you'd also need to make Link female is also when you bring Mario into the same category.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hmm I could see it no one said the hero chosen by the god had to be male.That is an interesting topic to consider that one day they could do that.It might be a bit different but if the game is good no one would have a problem with it.

I'd like to think so! :D

Yeah, maybe zelda killing ememies in super smash bros. is understandable, but for me, i just wonder how weird it would be to play twilight princess being a female.. and plus 94 out of 114 ppl said it wont work out. just saying..

I'm pretty sure a good deal of those 94/114 people didn't completely think it through. What would change besides the gender and physics of the Link character?
To see a Female Link is Possible. In fact it also has a possability, in a new Zelda, that you can temporeraly play as a Female Link, just like Kafei in Majora's Mask.

I don't know, only time will tell.

Woo!

Hopefully never. Link is a male character, it would change the dynamic of the story in such a way, it wouldn't feel like "Zelda" anymore. Just my opinion.
How so? I understand if you are used to the cliche 'knight in shining armor does this and that to defeat the villain' in which case the common cliched 'knight' is of male persona, but again nothing would really change besides the physics of the Link character and the gender. We could still name "her" Link or even a male name; I always name TP Link a girl name if it isn't Link or my own name.

I'm fairly certain this won't happen at all, if ever. The Legend of Zelda is just as original as Mario--it can keep going forever, while the formula changes only slightly. I'm not saying it would be improbable, but the day you'd also need to make Link female is also when you bring Mario into the same category.
The difference with Mario and Zelda is that Mario is a series that you can naturally play for short jaunts then put it down without ever seeming to 'hate' it. Zelda on the other hand, you can't do the same because it is always one long adventure that you just HAVE to complete. Irrelevant as that is, my point is that Zelda gets tired far easier than Mario can, which is partially why I feel a female Link while not at all necessary would be a nice addition to the series. She doesn't even need to be mandatory.

How so? I understand if you are used to the cliche 'knight in shining armor does this and that to defeat the villain' in which case the common cliched 'knight' is of male persona, but again nothing would really change besides the physics of the Link character and the gender. We could still name "her" Link or even a male name; I always name TP Link a girl name if it isn't Link or my own name.
Because to me, it's along the same line as giving Link a voice. His gender only matters as much as it fits into the story line. A female "link" would not be impossible, just improbable.

Rytex

Resident Netizen
Honestly? When pigs fly. Link is, and forevermore shall be, male. If they made a game where Link was female, Nintendo would gain a few and lose a few in the Fandom department. First off, who would take Zelda's place? Would they simply switch roles, like in the (dear Lord) CD-i Games, particularly in Wand of Gamelon, where Link was captured and Zelda had to rescue him? Or would the Link character be someone not Zelda but still female, with the princess character being a male not Link?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Miss Moonlight, I completely understand where you are coming from and I'm sorry if I've seemed offputting.

Rytex, I'm not sure myself. But then again, why would the princess character need to be changed to a prince? Why is it so unrealistic for a female to save a female? It happens all the time in fan stories, and from a certain point of view Nintendo makes fan stories itself...

Chiraku

Demon slayer
Interesting. very interesting. But my only issue is a continuity error. Like in Megaman ZX and ZX Advent, you could pick either Vent or Aile, or Grey or Ashe. But in ZX the opposite character is non-existent, and the character is only a gender choice like in Pokemon, but in ZX Advent, both characters have different beginnings, but the opposite character will be implied to have died!

My point is that gender choices either means one side of another character's story, or another character takes the spotlight completely and the opposite gender is non-existent. It's frustrating, but an interesting change, but I don't think Zelda needs it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom