• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How likely to you think it is that Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD will ever be ported to the Switch?

Ever since I got my Switch I have been positive that Twilight Princess and Wind Waker HD woud eventually make it to the switch with the simple motivation that Zelda is such a large and popular franchise that leaving those games behind for the wii u would be such a waste and most of the other big wii u titles have been ported over for the Switch. However as years have passed by and we still haven't heard anything related to them from nintendo I'm starting to get a bit worried. I know there was big talk about them getting released last year during the Zelda 35th anniversay but the year came to it's end and there was nothing. We did get Skyward Sword HD though which I'm still grateful for but it would be so neat to have tp and wind waker for the switch as well.

Now when Breath of the wild have been postponed to 2023 I'm still holding out hopes that Nintendo have something planned for Zelda this year.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
With BotW2 delayed, I'm entertaining the possibility that HD Zelda ports are on the table for 2022 now.

I have no idea how likely the ports will actually be, ofc.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
we've seen time and time again nintendo is fine w/ leaving money on the table, the recent mario and fire emblem anniversary games being pulled from the eshop, the stupid situation w/ four swords anniversary on 3ds being available only 2 instances total and never being available after that

they have all the reason in the world to bring the HD games to the switch, but I wouldn't put it past them to skip on the opportunity [I'd love to be wrong of course]

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I honestly have no idea. I personally don't really care, as I already own the original games, so I don't feel a need to buy slightly updated versions of them. If they do choose to do it, I won't oppose it in any way, as a lot of people will be happy with that, but I won't celebrate either.

Also, I feel like this thread belongs in World of Zelda, rather than General discussion, so I'll move it there ;)

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
While Nintendo is moving a bunch of stuff from the Wii U era Eshop over to the switch, considering they aren't digital only releases it seems unlikely that they'll be included in that. Ninty probably thinks that since they put it out on the last system they don't need to put it on switch. The fact that they put SS on there, which came out after WW and TP, supports this. Even still, one can't help but hope. If they did port it here's hoping they take the low effort route and not use motion controls.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
actually, I'll say that the 1 reason I can imagine for why we haven't seen it yet is they're waiting for the right time

what could the right time be? I don't know, apparently Zelda's 35th anniversary wasn't it, maybe when sales start to slow down? who knows, but this is the only "good" reason I can think of to why we haven't seen it yet

I think it really just depends on what's happening after BotW2; if they go straight for another big Zelda game, then they'll certainly want something to fill the release gap, which could be the WW and TP ports. I find this incredibly unlikely though.

My personal prediction is that the following Zelda will be a standard top-down game which shouldn't take nearly as long as BotW2. By the time it's released, (let's say 2025) the next gen console should be on the horizon, if not already present. It would make far more sense to save WW and TP for then.

Obviously, there a lot of other variables in play, but these are the two basic scenarios to my knowledge.

i am planning to buy a Switch soon i would love to play these games again i think it would be weird to leave those HD versions as Wii U exclusives since not many people bought the Wii U it would be a good idea to port these HD version to Switch because now more players will be able to get these versions i truly hope Nintendo release these games to Switch

I'll be a bit more optimistic than most people in this thread and say that Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD Switch ports are likely but Nintendo is sitting on there for a quieter time software wise. 2022 has an insane lineup: Pokémon Legends Arceus, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Fire Emblem Warriors Three Hopes, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Splatoon 3, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, etc.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I don't expect either of them to appear on Switch, even though Nintendo has shown that they aren't averse to quick ports designed to make a quick buck. I also expect them to furiously shut down any attempts to distribute the game online, even though they will no longer be distributing either game starting March of 2023.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom