• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Judgmental Are You Of Others?

Whether we like it or not, people are prone to judge others around them, often superfluously.

It’s in human nature to weigh your personal vices and virtues against those of others. In our pursuit of well being and self-improvement, we appraise our own assets while depreciating those of others.

An unfortunate situation we are guilty of partaking in is judging others before we know them or being so harsh in critique so as to ignore the mental and emotional effects our actions have on others. This ferments a cycle of insults and annoyances; seemingly minor trifles are blown out of proportion with innocent bystanders hurt in the process.

With the warm holiday away of camaraderie blowing upon us, it’s time to rethink your relationships with those around you. How judgmental are you? When do you form an opinion about others-Does a vague notion spring into mind at first sight or do you make a concerted effort to acquaint yourself with newcomers in your life?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I make it a personal point to refrain from judging people before getting to know them as best as I can. I think it's a bad idea to go by what other people say. What they say may not always be the truth. For example, "that weird kid" people ignore or isolate in school might not be all that weird after all; just misunderstood. I always prefer to keep an open mind. I never like to judge people without at least trying to get to know them first.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I judge others often- it's what I do, and just the way my brain works. I categorize things, people included. However, I usually do not to let my judgement of them make me think less of them- the judgement truly is just a way for me to classify the person. I also try not to let my judgement of them skew what they really are if they show me a different side of themselves, and I'm usually pretty good reclassifying them to suit the new information.

Judgments are not always bad things. Determining that someone is a nice person is a judgment. People overuse the word in the wrong context and make it out to be something that's only negative, but judgment is frankly something everyone does on a very basic level. If you stare in a direction, you subconsciously judge whether or not the view is appealing to you. That's just one example. To perceive, is to judge. If you can perceive something, you will absolutely make some judgment about it.

This, for example:

...it’s time to rethink your relationships with those around you.

...is a judgment. :P Rethinking relationships is to reconsider your judgments and potentially make new ones.

To answer the question, I am an extremely judgmental person. While I always try my hardest to be nice to everyone who's nice to me, even if I think ill of them overall, I absolutely make judgments based on things I see the person do. Sometimes those judgments take leaps based on small things the person does, but in those cases it's because I predict that they correspond to bigger trends I see, where one action leads to another.

At any rate, I can and have been wrong; these judgments are my personal judgments. As I said, I'll still be nice to the person even if I judge that they might not be someone I like very much. I think making judgments about people and determining who you like, who you enjoy spending time with, who you agree with, and who you can trust... I think these are all very important things to do. It's just a matter of behaving like a decent, respectful human being regardless of whatever your judgment right be, and being willing to change your judgment on a given situation if you find out more or something changes.

Again, judgments are not always bad. ;)

Honestly, I don't care what you do, say, or act upon as long as you aren't doing them in spite or are just trying to offend others.

octorok74

TETTAC
I don't judge others before I get to know them often. Everyone to me starts at the same spot, neutral. After I get to know the people better, then I form a formal judgement.

Not Take Mirror

Sage of Ice
Whenever I meet a new person, I collect information on him or her. Nice or mean? Smart or dumb? Fun or Boring? Loud or Quiet? etc. So in a way, I do make judgements about the person. I do it automatically. I can't control the initial impressions I have of someone but what I can control is the idea that initial impressions are not always correct and that I don't have to share those impressions with anybody else. Bascially I try to get along as best as I can with just about everybody regardless of initial impression.

Joy

The Sexy One
Everyone is judgmental, and I'm no exeption to the rule. I am very judgmental : I believe in first impressions, I avoid strange-seeming people etc. I think pretty much everyone does that if they're comlpletely honest with themselves.

For example, if the first time you chat with someone they rite lik dis u r going 2 jugde that person. Admit it.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Making judgements about character within a half hour of meeting people is a critical part of my job, so yes, I do it quite frequently. I do allow myself to be surprised, however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom