• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How is Ilia Link's Love?

Status
Not open for further replies.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I'm very live and let live about shipping as long as people do the same for mine. I don't really think personal preferences need to be justified. Regardless of their relationship, though, I always thought there was more to Ilia's "horsenapping" than just getting mad at Link for being careless. I do think that was part of it, but then when they speak at the spring, she makes sure to tell him come to home safely. My personal reading between the lines is that she is worried about him leaving and uses his actions as an excuse to try to prevent him from going. I don't necessarily agree with the way it was written, actually, nor do I expect anyone else to take that interpretation. But it would fit the classic "Show, don't tell" adage as well as give her a more sympathetic spin, so it's the one I subscribe to.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I think it's rather obvious that Ilia has feelings for Link. The getting angry about hurting Epona think seemed to show her having a crush in my opinion, since that just seems like the thing a sentimental lovestruck girl would do: pull some outrageous stunt to force the boy to talk to her. That plus her concern and extremely soft and sweet attitude at the spring, it just seemed to scream lovestruck. Then she does a similar heart-to-heart sweet and soft dialogue after regaining her memories, and all that behavior just really seems characteristic of some kind of love/deep affection, but that's just how I interpreted it.

As far as Link liking her back, well, Link has never had the most fleshed out personality, and I could never really tell whether it was affection or simply concern that motivated his reactions. I mean, they are old friends after all, and that sweet smile and sincere determination to save her, well, he showed similar reactions during the "save Colin" portion of the game. I don't really know how guys work with this kind of thing, but I don't see nearly as much romance coming out of Link as I do from Ilia.

Also, I am totally neutral in this shipping war. Normally I'm totally for ZeLink, but Link never developed a relationship with Zelda in TP, and I don't think he likes Ilia quite that much, so yeah, neutral.

W

Wyndfyre

I've never been a Ilia x Link shipper... but the unthinkable happened: it's growing on me.

Ilia and Link were childhood friends. Whether it was just a caring friendship or actual beyond-friendship-feelings, it was more a chance than Zelda, who he saw literally three times, and also Midna (sadly) disappeared forever to the Twilight Realm. Honestly, who else but Ilia? (Pretty sad reason, but it convinced me to consider the pairing.)

Now Ilia obviously has feelings for him. Come on, caring for (or taking-away-from-him) his horse doesn't mean she doesn't like him. Xinnamin is right in saying she was probably just pulling it off for attention. Or she's just very bossy.

I hate it when people match up people in the Zelda universe. LinkXMarin, that h**e. LinkXSaria, Saria is an imortal child, she is probably thousands of years older than Link. That thing on the bridge was not chemestry. (I started a thread on that for more info about it.) LinkXIlia, Link could do way~~!!! better!!!!! LinkXMalon, that sounds reasnoble. LinkXRomani, ... just because nintendo was to lazy to make new character models, people came up with the Termina being a parralel universe theory which sparked people to think since Link and Malon might work, that weirdo Romani could work. STOP DOING THIS PEOPLE!!! Next thing you know they will be doing LinkXAdelle. Yea, dating your sword is a new low. And do not even get me started on that LinkXOniLink/Dark Link yoai stuff. X -X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

W

Wyndfyre

A lot of pairings are good/reasonable and actually cute. Others are unreasonable and stupid. Some are just flat-out disturbing, of which I shan't say a word about the likes of them, lest you be lured to the depths of Google to find these blasphemous creations of many disturbed human minds.

Beeker

Wild Card
A lot of pairings are good/reasonable and actually cute. Others are unreasonable and stupid. Some are just flat-out disturbing, of which I shan't say a word about the likes of them, lest you be lured to the depths of Google to find these blasphemous creations of many disturbed human minds.

Agree with you Wyndfyre. Now I'm fine with most Zelda pairings(at least, the sensible ones). Though I do have a preference(ZeLinker here), I think TP is an exception. I never liked Link/Ilia much, but now I see it's more sensible than, say Zelda in TP. I think I'm also warming up to the apparent Link/Midna relationship.

But then again, those other relationships*cough*cough*Link/Dark Link*cough*cough*....ugh. Going to the depths of Google(and Deviantart) to find these is not fun. This has happenned to me before.-.-

I always think Ilia and Link make a perfect match than Zelda or Midna in the game. Zelda showed no affection at all in the game. Ilia knew Link longer than Midna. Ilia was worried about Link when he was gone before she lost her memories when she said "Please come home safe"

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
I don't think that Ilia and Link are a good couple whatsoever. To be honest, I think that Ilia is a little pushy and quite annoying when she wants to be. I mean, she was flipping out over Epona's injury. I can understand that pushing an animal to the point of injury is very wrong, but Ilia went a little overboard. She went to the Spring in a hurry and locked the gate to boot! She doesn't even look like she is interested in Link at all.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I'm not huge on shipping, and by that, I mean non-fanatical. I like multiple Link relationship possiblities for Twilight Princess, and can get away with it because I'm mostly into things for the general stuff - the adveture and whatnot over the "romance." I'm not a very romantic person. (Most of the "romance" fanfics I write are also tragedies!)

For TP, I think I prefer Link x Midna most of all, but I do see something of a puppy-love going on between Link and Ilia - or a best friend thing. They obviously care about each other... and people caring deeply about each other doesn't necessarily or always lead to romance. Friends can be deep. In fact, in an *original* story of mine, I kept in mind how most people in fandom treat close friendships and purposefully made two best-friend characters seperate/married to different people at the end!

My fiance' and I have a joke that at the end of TP, Ilia's not watching Link go/waiting for Link to return... she's waiting for the horse!

This brings up another thing... Like her or dislike her, I think many people are too hard on Ilia over the early scene where she scolds Link over Epona's injury. I work around horses and with "horse people." A horse-lover being protective of a favorite animal and worried about injury is very natural. Horses are actually pretty delicate creatures - injury to the legs is a particular concern because of the way they're built. Something that doesn't kill a horse can still render it un-rideable for the rest of its life. You know the old idea if a horse breaks a leg, a man would shoot it? Even today, with modern medicine and heroic effort spent to save valuable racehorses, the old addage is very true. Even a torn muscle can spell crippled for life in a horse.

shan-tastic

nine thousand and one.
I always considered them to be very close friends, almost with a brother-sister like relationship. Both care for each other, get into the occasional argument and recognize each other's flaws, but in the end one would do just about anything for the other.

Though sometimes I get the impression that Ilia may want to have a romantic relationship with him, she knows that because they're practically siblings, and it would most likely never happen.

D

derektherock42

The only reason we can't tell if Link loves Ilia, or any other girl in the Zelda universe, is because he shows no blatant emotions anyway. Nintendo made him into an empty shell for us to jump into and experience the game through. That's also why he doesn't talk.

I think they also do that to inspire conversations like this, where we try to decipher Link's true thoughts.

But I wouldn't want it any other way.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Picking up on romantic hints in previous Zelda games may have been difficult, but I don't see how somebody can not pick up on the romantic hints between Link and Ilia. Shipper or not, it's plain as day. You don't need blatant "I love you" dialogue to get the point across. There are plenty of slow-motion scenes between the two, and a huge focus on saving Ilia (and the rest of the kids). Before Link and Midna bonded, Midna did point out noticeable affection between Link and Ilia.

Another huge finger-point at the relationship between the two is the scene where Ilia remembers. Once she comes to, the children all run off to give her and Link some private alone time. Classic, as scenes like that have been used in romantic scenes for ages. Ilia even tells Link she'll wait for him. Oh, and they have yet another slow-motion scene there. Cheeeeesy!

Now, yes, they are best friends that is certain. I think a puppy-love (I say puppy-love because they seem to innocent at the beginning to be OMGINLOVE!) relationship between the two was very present in the earlier parts of the game. I think it's obvious that Ilia has feelings for Link for the duration of the game. I think Link felt the same for her in the beginning, but something tells me his quest matured him... he seemed to grow a bond with Midna, but eh, that is debatable. In any case, by the end of the game, Link seems to fall out of whatever interests he had for Ilia. He seems to be more involved in what else is out there. This is probably why he leaves at the end.

Still, I think that romantic interest was very important in TP because of Link's age. In games where we play a child Link, it's not so important, but as a person grows and matures, they develop more interests like relationships.

HOWEVER, it's not made to be an underlined point. This is a game on adventure, not romance. It's not Final Fantasy where a relationship is core to the story. A romantic interest helps emphasize Link's closeness to adulthood, but it's not the focus.

Ilia may or may not be a suitable interest for Link, but that's not the point. Her feelings for him were easy to pick up. That doesn't necessarily make her his love, though, it just makes her a romantic interest.

Z

zeldamasterswor

During the scene where Colin tells Ilia about what happened, near the end of it, Ilia says to Epona: "I guess you still prefer your master over me, huh?" You don't think!!! Of course Epona"s going to!! Who feeds Epona? Link!!!!! What does Ilia do?? Asides from giving Epona the odd bath and wash, she does NOTHING!!!!! So of course Epona is gonna pefer Link to Ilia!!!!

Ralis

Prince of the Zoras
In my opinion, he's not. He liked her when he was younger at the beginning of the game, but after that, well things just kind of fell apart. I think Links love is Midna. (To bad for Link, that she left)

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Actually I want a LinkxMidna. The ending is PRICELESS! Link: I think Isee Midna*runs like a frantic little girl.*(Later) Midna: Link I...see ya later.*breaks mirror.* Link: Midna!(Later again) Bye every1 im off to find Midna!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom