• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How important is social media to you?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I recently tried to limit my Facebook use with screen time on my iPhone but I always end up cheating and going back to it anyway even when I exceed the time limit. I need to stop doing that...

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Facebook and messenger are the only way I have to communicate with most of my friends, especially if I don't know their phone number.

I use ZD, Twitch, Discord, and Skype as far as social media goes. I'm not as active on ZD as I once was but I still try to log in at least every other day to make a few posts. On Twitch, I tend to watch a few people usually for a few hours at night when I have some time. Discord I barely use because I hate the interface. I mostly use it to talk to some people. Skype is pretty dead after most people moved to Discord but I still use it to talk to DARK MASTER and athenian200. So I'd say social media is of moderate importance to me.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
It's essential to me, because of Zelda Dungeon. If it weren't for ZD and my online presence, I would say not that important. I've removed the apps from my phones and almost exclusively use them on PC.

That said, just in the last few months, I've taken to use Instagram for my game collection, and Twitter more for general stuff.

I've got like 90% of my friends on FB and TW on unfollow, so my feed is just the core people I like to check in on, and then the 10,000 ads they show me.

Ignoring instant messenger aspects, e.g. Facebook Messenger, then I don't use the majority of social media apps. I use Reddit a lot, particularly for sports, games, hobbies, etc. Also generally follow memes and subreddits with content I find humourous. I think that hobby based subreddits are the best ones are they are places that can help give good advice, nuture good discussion if properly moderated and help grow those respective hobbies communities. I try to avoid partaking in subs such as political ones as I think this aspect in particular is the worst of what social media can offer.

I have Facebook but also avoid using for similar reasons to avoiding political subreddits it. They're propaganda machines and rarely foster a good discussion environment. I also think Facebook, Instagram and the likes have a negative affect on how people view themselves, everything becomes a comparison to other people despite the fact that the majority of people will only show the best parts of their lives which makes them look artificially better than they are. On top of that, they're genuinely very poor at moderating their user base and you end up with problems like rampant pedophilia, scientific and political disinformation and vitriol (Twitter is horrendous for vitriol towards sports stars who have had a bad game).

Archer

Whatever
Not too important. I only have Twitter just so I can keep up with news, but one downside is I have to block so many obnoxious people from IStandWithVic

I don't really use social media. Discord and forums are pretty much the closest i get and ngl i prefer that. It's more like real-time chatting and having fun with a group of online friends than social media will ever be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom