• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How important is social media to you?

Ninja

Well well well
Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, LinkedIn, Snapchat, and community apps like Reddit. All of these social media platforms are available, how much do you use them, and how much do they mean to you?

When used in a productive way I believe social media can be an amazing thing. Thanks to social media I’ve been able to make lifelong friends, further engage in communities about my hobbies, and educate myself on new things.

However, there can be an ugly side of it. There’s a ton of toxicity when it comes to social media, and it’s very easy to find, more often than not, it finds you. Especially when one can hide their identity and post whatever they want. It also opens up doors for people to hurt others.

Social media does mean a good deal to me, as I use those platforms to keep in touch with my childhood friends, and to have a place to store all of my digital memories.

What about you?

I only use ZD, so if ZD counts then very.

The only friends I have are here, the people who make me happy are here and the people who have things in common with me are here. Without ZD I probably wouldn't be around today.

As for in general, I think it's a great way to stay informed if you follow official bodies that you can trust. The freedom of social media to seek out what you want and the potential to help others really are big plusses but I think the harm it does far outweighs the pros most of the time.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Not very. I'm only on Facebook for the EZA fan group, and on Instagram to post selfies that nobody cares about.

However, I recently tried to market myself on Twitter as a game developer (ever since I ran out of my previous work) to try to find contacts and share useful information, but so far that has been a massive failure that only gives me anxiety.

Honestly dislike it. I think Snapchat/Instagram's fake & vain, Twitter's for screaming children whining about everything, Facebook's the most boring corner of the internet. (Don't use tiktok, linkedin or reddit).

There are definite benefits to it & in circumstances like ZD it can be used in a good way, but the overall lack of moderation (incorrect moderation) on the bigger platforms causes a lot of negativity & I've seen a lot of complexes & mental health issues triggered/worsened by overuse of toxic social media. And a large majority of it seems to be toxic with the exception of smaller groups who remain positive by keeping themselves to themselves.

It's a good thing being used in a bad way & while I understand the motivations behind its inception overall I think it causes more harm than good.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
I use Facebook, Messenger, Instagram, Bigo Live(banned now), Discord, Reddit, InBook and WhatsApp (Rarely).
I used to use Fb few years back after that, everyone moved to insta. So FB and Messenger are pretty much dead at this point for me. I don't use WhatsApp much, it's kinda toxic with all the fake news spreading easily.
I just use Twitter to follow AB, Nikki&Brie bella Asuka and some other celebs.

I'm an Instagram user to conclude with. And it's great as I could kit with people.
I am in a few subreddits liker/Pewdiepiesubmissions, r/Okbuddyretard ,r/dankmemes, r/im14andthisisdeep , r/anime, r/Ben10,r/Alexabliss ,r/zelda, r/clashroyale, r/Nanatsunotaizai, r/Shingekinokyojin

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I have accounts for many of the big ones. I don’t post on there, and I’ve always felt like posting pictures of yourself just to get attention is kind of dumb. I use them mainly to connect with people; for example, I recently got back in contact with someone I used to know through social media. I also would consider posting my achievements, things like graduating or awards; not to brag, but to share them with others and perhaps to show potential employers/universities that I can use these tools responsibly.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
I have a Facebook and Twitter but don't really use or check either. I mostly have Facebook in case I need it for family stuff.

I use Reddit, but I don't post on it. I just use it to aggregate the news and other content.

I only use forums and discord really for socializing and other stuff I'd typically associate with being social media.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I got facebook but don't do much with it besides talking to my family every once in a while. I also got discord but don't do anything with it besides checking it like once in 10 weeks or so. All other things I don't really use. Oh I still got a deviantart account I use from time to time. Mainly to update my cross stitch work. I don't really care about social media. I never could get into twitter, snapchat etc. The only other thing I use a lot though is youtube. But not for the comments. Mainly to listen to my fav artists/bands

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Not really at all. Forums are the only form of communication I use to chat or discuss stuff with other people, and Twitter is for gaming news and certain YouTubers I follow just to keep up with the stuff they post.

I used to be on reddit, but left because of how toxic it could be. Too much negativity or crap posting.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I use Facebook quite a lot, probably far too much really. I don’t tend to post much but spend most of my time scrolling the newsfeed to read news and watch videos. I also use it to keep in touch with my friends. Given that I’ve got friends and connections in countries all around the world I think that social media is pretty important to me in that it allows me to maintain my connections and easily reach out to reconnect with people if I’ll be traveling near their area.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
if any software used to socialize with people counts (discord, forums, etc.), then they're very important. If you're only talking about the big social media platforms, then not very.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I don't use any really. Just so much wrong with it. I do have Discord to keep up with my friends during COVID, and ofc ZD, but no desire outside of that. Let me just say again that in the time I've spent in online communities, ZD is the best one. We debate and argue all day long, but at the end of the day, there's no toxicity, y'all are good at agreeing to disagree, and that's awesome

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
I have a facebook and instagram but I just flat out don't use them, instagram I never used and facebook I stopped using at least 4 years ago, I follow people on twitter but I never tweet, just browse and occasionally comment

discord and messenger are only with my real life friends [except the ZD game nights]

so it kinda varies how important they are, especially if we count these forums

Facebook I may stop using all together, especially after my old account got hacked into and I lost all access to it, started a new one.

Twitter, I just skim through whenever I get bored bored.

YouTube, it’s almost daily.

Zelda Dungeon, Y’all my friends!

Edit: Reddit is becoming a daily thing for me since I won’t be able to use my laptop until I can get it fixed(HDD/SSD crashed due to some corrupt files)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom