• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How important is box art to you?

Box art allows you to judge a game by its cover. Many suck and maybe it didnt always used to matter but the UIs on consoles now show the box art to select ths title so we see the art a lot more than we used to.

Does box art matter to you?

Has it convinced you to buy a game or put you off buying in the past?

Do you have any favourites?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Japanese always get the best ones whereas we get the crappy ones like with BoTW.

No, the box art doesn't actually influence me buying a game but still I do prefer a prettier box.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Yes. I miss manuals too :(

Commercialization kills all the little things.

Granted, there was a time when video game box art was really really bad. Mega Man anyone? I mean, video games have never really had a good run of decent cover art. But the template copy-pasted regurgitated drek we get on our covers today needs to die in fire. When I go to the retailer and look at the shelves I swear I'm looking at an entire wall of the same freaking game. Of course, crack open any one of the dozens of identical boxes and actually play the thing and you'll find they more or less are the same freaking game.

If I have to take so much as a sidelong glance at another hardened soldier with a gun slung over his shoulder walking away from a collage of helicopters and explosions in the background I'll spit!

Yes. I miss manuals too :(

Commercialization kills all the little things.

Granted, there was a time when video game box art was really really bad. Mega Man anyone? I mean, video games have never really had a good run of decent cover art. But the template copy-pasted regurgitated drek we get on our covers today needs to die in fire. When I go to the retailer and look at the shelves I swear I'm looking at an entire wall of the same freaking game. Of course, crack open any one of the dozens of identical boxes and actually play the thing and you'll find they more or less are the same freaking game.

If I have to take so much as a sidelong glance at another hardened soldier with a gun slung over his shoulder walking away from a collage of helicopters and explosions in the background I'll spit!

Manuals!

I used to love reading the story intros and character bios in manuals. What the hell happened?

covers.jpg

U mad bro?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
oh my god.......infinity ward has such a nice logo

honestly yeah,an unappealing box art can put me off on a game even if i do hear great things about it,that doesn't apply to this generation though as im through w/ having cases

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Not very important, I don't recall any time it has influenced my decision to purchase a game or not. It has, however, convinced my Mum on certain occasions. It's how I ended up with Amped 3 as one of my first games on the Xbox 360. :P

220px-Amped_3_cover.jpg

Ninja

Well well well
I love a video game with great digital art, however it doesn't matter too much to me to affect me purchasing it. However if I stack the games, I always pick the best looking cover to headline it.

I like good looking box art as much as the next person. And while it has never directly influenced me to buy a game, if the art looks interesting i'm much more likely to read the back of the box. and yes, I miss video game manuals. I loved reading them to get the character bios and get excited for the game on the walk or ride home.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I buy most of my games digitally these days, so I don't really have a chance to worry about Box Art. However, when I do have physical games, good box art does draw me in a little.

I've had two instances where the boxart of a game put me off purchasing it. First was Super Princess Peach for DS. I liked the idea of a mario game where the roles are reversed, and to be fair The game itself is decent. The boxart of game unfortunatly put me off buying it because of how girly it looked and back then when you're a teenager, keeping your manly intergrety together was important!

The second instance was New Yoshi's Island for the 3DS. This instant wasn't so bad because there was the benefit of purchasing the game digitaly to avoid any prejudice. Again it's a pretty good game, but it's just off putting having a cashier staring you down while holding a game with bright colours and pretty flowers on the cover.

Nowerdays I buy my physical games online and cut out the middle man who would mock me for buying such a "baby" game. Though I'm not too bothered now when purchasing a game, The boxart is still important because without knowing what the game is like 1st hand, you might think twice about buying a game covered with bright, colourful flowers which might actually turn out to be a brilliant game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom