• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Important is Backwards Compatibility to You?

Phlegm

Bake me a pie!
It's not exactly an important feature, but it's nice when they have it. On Wii, it's real fun to play Gamecube games, the only downside being no rumble support...

Not exactly important, but a very nice touch!

i think it'd be EPIC if they made a nintendo(R)(TM)(C)(etc...) master system (R)(TM)(C)(etc...) that had like wii/gc disc thing on the front, snes port on the side, nes on the other, n64 on top and an extra attatchment for handheld games...that would be EPIC

........._______
._____|_N64_|____
|SNES|WII/GC|NES|
.........|_Xtra_|

^ ^ ^kinda like that ^ ^ ^

On Wii, it's real fun to play Gamecube games, the only downside being no rumble support...

I think you are mistaken, because I have played Wind Waker on the wii and there was rumble feature, unless you used the gamecube wireless control, which has no rumble feature.

Well, I think it's important to have compability in a console, but I wouldn't give up buying a console because it has no compability.
I have a PS3 slim, wich has no compability, but I don't care because I have the PS2 slim, which is really small and doesn't occupies much space.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Backwards compatibility is easily one of the most important things I look for in a console. That's one of the reasons that I still have the original, silver, DS "fat," which is still compatible with GBA games. I don't have any of the other DS systems.
I'm a big retro gamer; I really love to delve back into the past and see gaming evolve, and how we've gotten to where we are today. I'd play the original classics over a remake or re-imagining any day. I really love to see the gaming industry in context by playing older games, because it gives you so much more perspective on what's being done now and what will be done in the future.
What's strange, is that if I bought a Sony console, it would probably be a PS2 rather than a PS3, because I'm told that the PS3 can't play PS2 games properly. To be honest, there are more old games for PS2 that I'd rather play than PS3 games.
I'm also not huge on emulators; I'd much rather go out and buy the old system and game.

Austin

Austin
Fairly important. My television is situated in a rather cramped corner of my room and it's becoming increasing inconvenient and aesthetically unappealing to have so many consoles and wires and plugs and whatever around. Not to mention that I'm running out of outlets. Therefore, having a console that can take the role of two is extremely useful.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
I find it to be really important. It gives you the ability to play more games than just what was developed for the system. It also gives you access to a whole new collection of games if you're bored with the ones you already had that was developed for that system. It also saves me money and, like what PJ said, more room for me to spare. For instance with a Wii I can play both Wii and Gamecube games, which means that I don't have to go out and buy a Gamecube just to play that set of games, my Wii can do it for me. Thus saving time and space! :)

What's strange, is that if I bought a Sony console, it would probably be a PS2 rather than a PS3, because I'm told that the PS3 can't play PS2 games properly.

My PS1 and PS2 games works perfectly fine on my PS3. Not once I had any problems on it. Maybe it's just me or you may have been misinformed.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Backwards compatibility is fairly important to me, at least in terms of nostalgic value and convenience. I do like to revisit old games every now and then, but I can just as easily do so on their respective consoles, since Nintendo constructs their products pretty solidly, they tend to last a while in their own right. Backwards compatibility isn't a deal breaker for me, but it can become important for certain settings. For example, I don't have a DS and my two GBA's are on their last leg, so I was a tad disappointed when we found out that the 3DS won't be backwards compatible with that gen. (No biggie, I'm still buying it, of course) But now I know to expect having to pay some more money for a new GBA when my current ones die. Or, for example, I just moved into my dorm and was going to bring my Wii because of the backwards compatibility-- Obviously, that would mean a bigger library to play, including games that I'm in the middle of. That was a big reason that I was considering taking it, but changed my mind last minute to bring a gamecube instead; I feel like people would be more inclined to steal a Wii over a gamecube..

Anyways, I think it's a really nice feature to have, I like to take full advantage of it when it's included on systems

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
Only the very first PS3s are compatible with PS2 and PS1. The more recent ones only play PS3 games.

Actually, the newer PS3s play only PS1 and PS3 games, but older PS3s play games from all three systems, just to clarify that. :)

Anyways, it IS very important to me. I often find myself playing gamecube games more than Wii games and PS1 games more often than PS3 games. Being able to play games from multiple generations on ONE console is very convenient and makes it so much easier, instead of hauling out my GC to play my Zelda Collectors Edition. Plus, I have a little brother, so my consoles get broken pretty easily. My gamecube is broken and if the Wii wasn't backwards compatible, I wouldn't be able to play any of my GC games. Backwards compatability for the PS3 was one of the deciding factors for me choosing a PS3 over Xbox 360 (I don't enjoy Xbox games and LOVE PS1 games).

Phlegm

Bake me a pie!
I think you are mistaken, because I have played Wind Waker on the wii and there was rumble feature, unless you used the gamecube wireless control, which has no rumble feature.

Well, I think it's important to have compability in a console, but I wouldn't give up buying a console because it has no compability.
I have a PS3 slim, wich has no compability, but I don't care because I have the PS2 slim, which is really small and doesn't occupies much space.

Hehe... Ya, I use the wireless controller. My bad!

Mute

一員
It's rather important to me. I hate buying a new system and learning older games won't work on it, especially if I like the game and don't want to sell it. I really see no point why they can't just make them all backwards compatible, then when the older systems kick the bucket, you don't have to buy a new one from a pawn shop somewhere that may or may not work, if you even find the system in the first place just to play a game you like again. In fact, the main reason I don't have any newer DS systems aside from my Lite is because you can't play GBA games on them. Sure, I have 2 GBAs, but I use those for GB and GBC games since the DS won't play them for whatever reason they decided on.

Plus, like it was mentioned before, it saves space because it means less consoles. I mean, I have a shelf full of consoles and although my Xbox has a reason for being out of the shelf and raised up a bit on something from the floor, any other system would have to be on the floor because there's just not enough room for another one there, and I'd rather not have a console on the floor.

So yeah, like I said, it's rather important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom