• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Important Are/Were Grades to You?

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
For me, it depends on the class. If it is something I am passionate about, then I get disappointed when I get a bad grade. However, if it something I could care less about (ex. Social Studies), then I don't even care.

For example. I am a top Band student, averaging at 100%, whilst getting an overall E (excellent) for work habits. Because I am so used to getting perfect scores, I get really upset if I get even a 98!
I am also a top Science Student (Chemistry and Biology), and I average at about 88-96 generally. I am very happy with anything higher in those classes because I never expect it.
In French, I have never gotten anything lower than an A (86-100%). My average for that class is around 92%, which certainly pleases me!
I used to be really good at math. However, since Grade 11 started, I noticed that my math mark has dropped from high 80, to mid 70. It doesn't seem like much, but it is quite a significant change, and could mean a drop by 2 letter grades! It is a lot harder, though, so I am quite happy with the marks I do receive.
I am really good at English, but I do slack off quite a bit, which puts my mark down to either a C+ or a C. It doesn't bother me too much though, since I know that it is my own fault for getting such a low grade. I know I could get better if I tried.
Last, but not least, Social Studies. Honestly, I hate this class so much, I am actually pleased when I make 60%. I don't try in this class, because I have no interest in History, Geography, Demography, any of that. I usually barely get by in this class (around 55%), and I don't really care to be perfectly honest. As long as I pass, it's good enough for me!

All in all, though, I really don't think much about what grades I receive. A grade is a grade. At least something low tells me what I need to improve upon for the next semester.

Aerauro67

That God of Yellow Foxes
Well, when I was younger, grades were probably the most important thing to me. I've always been trying my best to try and boost them up in order to make my parents happy and not punish me, not to mention reward me for them. I mean, if there was something I was horrible at, I'd probably try all I could to boost them up the mile shot.

But, nowadays, I just do them to keep from getting in trouble. Only thing, I never study, and for many reasons. Oh, and I only ever do my homework during study halls, because why not be responsible and do it then, am I right? However, because I have finals coming up and I have a C in Earth Science currently, I need to study so I can muster a good grade for the final. That, indeed, shows how I want to focus on my grades as best as I can while still being on my lazy butt all day long. No, I don't have a problem, I'm just lazy.

But there are just those subjects that I'm just so good at that I should just do nothing about them. Last quarter, I averaged a 101% in German because of how good I am at the subject and coincidental extra credit. That being said, I have nothing to worry about it at all. And then there are those subjects where I just need to get a good grade in order to impress people, like Earth Science. There, I really need to do whatever I can to pull out all the stops, work my butt off, and bring my grade higher. Wish that could have happened this quarter because it barely got me anywhere last week and I have a C in it now. It's the reason for why I have to take that final.

But, in conclusion, grades only matter to me upon the subjects that I'm weak at. The subjects I'm just perfect at, I don't care whatsoever. Yet, whatever happens happens, and everyone just has to accept it, whether I'm a hard worker or not. And it shows what are my strengths and weaknesses. And it tells me what I should work with in my freetime and relate to it (like my stories, they've helped me to boost my abilities in English by a longshot.)

WW IsDa Bombchu

Fez+Bowtie=Time
Seeing as I'm still in school, grades are a big deal. In my family, near perfect grades are not to be rewarded, but to be expected. I was raised to the ideal that if you are not close to the top, you may as well be at the bottom. But, my parents are pretty lenient for classes that will never matter to me ever, such as Art. Art I can get B's and be perfectly okay, yet I'd be in some serious trouble if I brought home a B in something like Math or Science. I also really care about my grades, as it's a great feeling to know that you can succeed if you put forth effort in practically anything.

That being said, the fact still remains that I'm on ZD at 1 in the morning, with finals in four days time.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Grades were very important to me! All of them.

I grew up in the type of house-hold where there were little aspirations. Of all my siblings, for example, only 3/7 of us actually stayed and finished our A Levels, and only 2 to have then gone on to University. Everyone just gets a job at a bar or whatever to find drinking and cigarettes. :P So, for me, getting good grades was a way to get out of the rut and actually go somewhere! And really set myself up for life with a great Uni degree and stuff. So they were all important, and I tried my best with all subjects. Bar general studies of course since that was meaningless.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Grades are only a little important to me. I want to get good grades, but I'm also pretty lazy. I don't usually put a ton of effort into my homework, usually just a moderate amount that'll slip me by on a B.

On a side note, one thing that was extremely important to me was perfect attendance. I really don't know why, but I cared so much about it that I begged to go to school when I was sick. What kind of crazy kid does that?

Last edited:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My grades are extremely important to me. This year is my first year of being a senior in high school (year 11) and the workload has skyrocketed. I study and/or do homework for hours every single day and hope that it will pay off when I sit my final HSC exams next year.
I have set a personal goal of getting an ATAR of above 90.00
Wikipedia said:
Australian Tertiary Admission Rank, or ATAR, is a percentile awarded to students by application for undergraduate-entry university programs upon completion of Year 12 in all Australian states except Queensland. The number functions as a rank of all students entering the tertiary education system, based on the number of students in Year 7. The maximum rank attainable is 99.95 with a minimum of < 30.00 and increments of 0.05.
It's pretty much an overall rank compared to every other student (based of your rank in every subject), to get above 90.00 you must be in the top 10% of all students in your state.

My parents honestly wouldn't care if I could only achieve C grades as long as I did my best, that's all that matters to them.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I liked getting good grades, but at the end of the day, if you're not academic you're not academic. I always did well at school but things like that always came naturally to me. I don't think they measure your intelligence at all. They measure your ability to regurgitate information. They're not the be all and end all. Most of you will discover that when you finish school I guess- nobody cares after that, really. I mean these days most graduates with first's struggle to get jobs, but some people leave school at 16 and end up millionaires. Just saying. Grades aren't proof of anything.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Grades are really important to me. They always have been, but I find that I have been pushing myself a lot harder now that I am in high school. I currently do not know what I want to do as a career, so I am trying to do my best in every class in case I end up needing that credit for my future job. That being said, I try not to freak out if I end of receiving a mark that was lower than I expected. It's not the end of the world. I also force myself to take a break from the books and go have some fun once in a while. It's great to study hard, but it is important to have balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom