• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How important are new races in Zelda to you?

I'm a big fan of the Gerudo and Zora and I'm always happy to see them included in a game...

But I also love discovering new races such as the Anouki.

Breath of the Wild opted for races we'd seen before, which was fine but I wish we'd gotten something new too rather than the echoes of the Zonai.

How important are new races in Zelda to you?

Are you comfortable with the established races or do you crave new races?

I was personally sad that we didn't see any Kikwi's in Breath of the Wild. But personally I think that adding new races this far into the timeline would be a good idea, just not in an earlier game in the timeline.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'd rather avoid them and flesh out the current races. Seems kinda weird that we see a race once...and then never again.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I enjoy seeing new races, but I want them to be interesting. I feel like the new races introduced in Skyward Sword were so meh and forgettable. The Zora and Gorons are great, but we have seen so much of them. To be clear, I still want to see these races in the games, but its important to introduce more to keep these two from getting stale.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
New races can be fun, but it becomes too much the more they add. You'd have to cram all these races somewhere. Some disappearing I could understand. The mogma might have found all they wanted in death mountain and moved elsewhere, though others are less explainable like the kikwi or parella or the river zoras. I'd prefer a small set of 5 or 6 main races with maybe one or two lesser ones off to the side

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I would like to see at least one or two new races in a Zelda game. But if we get them, they shouldn't get the Skyward Sword treatment, where they are barely fleshed out in any way. In order to be memorable as a race, they need to have a civilization or home location that exists in the game that the player will be able to do something in. Part of SS's problem, which had almost exclusively new races, was that each new race was just encountered throughout your journey. Very few of them could be interacted with beyond the required dialogue points. There weren't interesting hubs where several would gather, where there are shops or sidequests. They just existed. The only one that did kind of have their main civilization, the Parella, was useless and iirc you couldn't even interact with most of them. New races deserve to be fleshed out and exist beyond their base design.

That said, I think its important to introduce more and newer races to keep the current ones from getting stale. The Gorons have been used so many times and I worry it limits the potential for a new mountain race. I'm not saying they're bad, but I want to see new creative cultures and races that would make mountains their home. Or lakes. Or forests. Some new races that are fleshed out would help create a new and interesting world.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
if theres new races introduced then like the others say they need to be fleshed out and not one timed....

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I don't mind it on occassion, but I feel like it's best to not make an entire new race and then toss them aside. What the hell happened to the Mogma, Paralla and Kiwiki? The Mogma up and vanished without trace. Were we supposed to assume the Paralla were a proto form of the Zora or something, because that wasn't made clear. And what happened to the Kiwiki?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom