• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Important are Cutscenes in a video game to you?

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Video games these days are pretty much required to have cutscenes, of decent quality but my question is more, do you think cutscenes can add to the game or take away?

Take Final Fantasy X, cutscenes both made and crapped all over that game, you got the ever popular laugh cutscene to the final story cutscenes and in both cases you could argue both positive and negatives.

For me Cutscenes do make a game but not dozens of them every few minutes. Gotta have a bit of an interval in between otherwise your just overloading the players with too much cutscenery to the point they can forget controls.

As someone who plays games for the story I will quite happily take cutscenes along with gameplay, as gaming has evolved we've gone from text boxes to full blown cinematic hijinx to tell stories, both are good i their own way, what I want is a good story.

I don't mind cutscene heavy games for the most part but they do need to have a degree of quality to them if a dev knows theyre gonna go all in on them.
No use having 10hours of cutscenes if your voice actors suck or you're telling a crap story.

I've played games in the past where the cutscenes saved the game and got me through to see rhe credits.

That being said... **** you Metal Gear Solid 4, stop taking the piss and let me play the game! It's been an hour already and I've only got 10 minutes of recorded playtime!

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
As someone who plays games for the story I will quite happily take cutscenes along with gameplay, as gaming has evolved we've gone from text boxes to full blown cinematic hijinx to tell stories, both are good i their own way, what I want is a good story.

I don't mind cutscene heavy games for the most part but they do need to have a degree of quality to them if a dev knows theyre gonna go all in on them.
No use having 10hours of cutscenes if your voice actors suck or you're telling a crap story.

I've played games in the past where the cutscenes saved the game and got me through to see rhe credits.

That being said... **** you Metal Gear Solid 4, stop taking the piss and let me play the game! It's been an hour already and I've only got 10 minutes of recorded playtime!

Oh dear god the one thing i need in my cutscenes (even if don't want em) is some damned quality especially when they are talking either don't animate the mout moving or actually make it shape the words instead of the generic goldfish manouvre.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Cutscenes are important to tell a story. I enjoy watching cutscenes movies but it can also be a pain in the ass if you can't skip them when you play a game more times! Then I loath these ****ers!

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Cutscenes are important to tell a story. I enjoy watching cutscenes movies but it can also be a pain in the ass if you can't skip them when you play a game more times! Then I loath these ****ers!

FFX-2 does this to you, if you want 100% you can't skip a single cutscene whatsoever. I've forgotten to save so many times and had to rewatch. AHHHHGH

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I usually judge the importance of a cutscene by asking myself, "Does this cutscene need to be here?"

Unfortunately I've played entire games where the answer is always "no." Rockstar's games come to mind, specifically.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
FFX-2 does this to you, if you want 100% you can't skip a single cutscene whatsoever. I've forgotten to save so many times and had to rewatch. AHHHHGH
That sounds like hell to me!!!!!!!!! I can't stand it when I have to rewatch a cutscene and can't skip it. I feel your pain :P

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I usually judge the importance of a cutscene by asking myself, "Does this cutscene need to be here?"

Unfortunately I've played entire games where the answer is always "no." Rockstar's games come to mind, specifically.

Rockstars games literally made me want to kill myself so many times thank christ GTA lets you do that

I generally mash the start button when I see a cutscene in order to skip it a.s.a.p.

Only when the story of a game is important, I will watch the cutscene. But this is generally not the case to be honest... I rather do not want to be disturbed during playing and just go on.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
as long as the cutscene is important and skippable with subs theen im ok with, if theyre annoying and no importance to the game aka point out that REALLY obvious ledge that im probably supposed to junp to then ARGH I HAVE A BRAIN YOU STUPID GAME MAKERS just subtitle the game so the deaf people can enjoy the game properly...

I think they are important in story driven games- they add flair and emotion to them. Some games that come to mind that did them right, FFIX, OoT, TP

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom