• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How good/bad are you at remembering button combinations for songs in Zelda?

I remember playing OoT on the N64 when it was released and having to have a folded up piece of A4 paper in its box that I had to pull out and write down new songs and refer to so i could remember old ones...

I have a decent memory but not for a series of button combinations. To this day I still can't remember many button combinations for songs in OoT64 or MM64, and even though i play The Wind Waker almost daily (and have done for the last decade) I still often get the Wind's Requiem and the Song of Passing mixed up and don't ask me to remember the command melodies....

Thank gawd for the 3DS's subscreen and the WiiU gamepad for listing thee combinations in the remakes...

But how good/bad are you at remembering such combinations?
Did you ever have trouble before the invention of the second screen or do you have a good memory for that kind of thing?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have always enjoyed making music, remembering how to play songs has never been difficult for me and on a controller it is no different.

I had trouble memorizing some songs in Ocarina at first (Nocturne of Shadow comes to mind), but not the buttons itself, but the rhythm. I'm probably the only one to ever do that, but I actually try to play the songs in the correct rhythm too instead of just pressing the right buttons. Nowadays I can do them all. I remember I used to play the Elegy of Emptiness to the Scarecrow.

Djinn

and Tonic
I'm not, I always wrote them down or drew out little charts and kept that around with me.

Wind Waker stuff I got, but the OoT/MM songs I kept written down. Majority of the time I never used the other warp songs more than once anyway so it was not really worth remembering to me.

I'm utterly terrible at remembering them. I have to keep looking at them in the inventory to make sure I have them right. My husband is really good at it because he can think of the buttons as notes, but I can't seem to get around that particular mental block.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
i usually don't even remember which songs i've collected much less how to play them.

MW7

For me remembering the songs comes down to practice. I've played Ocarina of Time more than any other game, and I have every song memorized for the N64. I usually have to think for a second to play them on the 3ds version since it's slightly different. I'm pretty good at remembering Majora's Mask songs too. I generally have a short learning curve each time I replay Wind Waker because I haven't played that game as often as the two N64 games. In general it comes down entirely to experience for me. I definitely had some trouble remembering the songs for each game even after a few playthroughs, but now I remember almost all of them.

A couple from MM are not very straightforward, rhythm- or melody-wise (understandable as they had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for new songs after all of OOT's and MM's others). New Wave Bossa Nova and Elegy of Emptiness I had to look up repeatedly, as well as the Goron Lullaby to a lesser degree.

I never had a problem with remembering the songs in a Zelda game, save for the Ballad of the Wind Fish in Majora's Mask, which was part of a one-shot thing, and I remembered it each subsequent time.

Manaburn

Graphics Artist
I am so bad at remembering how to play the songs, I have to check my inventory every time lol. Mind you I'm currently just about to begin the Spirit Temple in OoT for the first time ever lol. I grew up playing OoT, but I never beat it lol. I plan on learning speed running after I finish my first playthrough, but I would like to move onto Majora's Mask at the same time :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom