• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How far reaching is Majora's Mask's influence?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Years ago I got into a debate with someone over just how far reaching Majora's Mask's influence is. I found that old debate and wanted to share the other person's argument.

Kravik said:
I say the mask can effect everyone. Not only the one who wears it, as is apparent by playing the game.. (It was the mask all along.)

You people claim the mask must be worn, for it to effect the skull kid? Right?

Where in reality, it was the will of the mask (again,) all along!

His argument was that Majora's Mask was able to influence Skull Kid before he even knew about the mask. Skull kid attacked the Happy Mask Salesman because the mask made him do it.

I disagreed with that argument, and still do. Skull Kid attacked the HMS because he wanted to. The Mask didn't make him do it, because Skull Kid didn't even know the mask existed until he was rummaging through the HMS's backpack and found it. I say one actually has to know the mask exists for it to exert any kind of influence on the person.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
He didn't know hms got tje mask and then puts it on and be evil, be fore he got mask he was probably cheeky

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Skull kid was always mischievous and loved to pull pranks on people as evidenced by the fact most of terminian society turned from him, alone and destitute he found new friends in the form of two fairies and they encouraged bad habits from just a prank it turned to assault and theft, i think the mask itself could've called to him much in the same way as the One Ring called to Sauron in LoTRs, it sought a weak will to dominate and control and so was always calling out how else was it recovered by the mask salesman? I don't feel that it could've called to Skull Kid because it appeared ot a random hit and grab and the maskman would've found a way to silence the masks siren call, he wanted it for himself not for others to claim, i think that when Skull Kid got ahold of the mask it started manipulating him, maybe it didn't gain full control for awhile but almost certianly the turning point was link being turned into a deku, at that point the mask starts afirming it's control.

Certainly Skull kid attacked the maskman at random but i feel like it wouldn't have been an actual attack but more along his prior prankings if the mask wasn't with the salesman, as it was the mask was there and i'd say it felt a weaker mind and so sought to claim it for it's own use.

ToonLink64

lamer gamer
the theory you disagree with is the theory that is the one ring, and that's been done. I just think the mask will only do what you want if you have a mischievous goal to it. otherwise nothing.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Years ago I got into a debate with someone over just how far reaching Majora's Mask's influence is. I found that old debate and wanted to share the other person's argument.

His argument was that Majora's Mask was able to influence Skull Kid before he even knew about the mask. Skull kid attacked the Happy Mask Salesman because the mask made him do it.

I disagreed with that argument, and still do. Skull Kid attacked the HMS because he wanted to. The Mask didn't make him do it, because Skull Kid didn't even know the mask existed until he was rummaging through the HMS's backpack and found it. I say one actually has to know the mask exists for it to exert any kind of influence on the person.

Thoughts?
I also disagree, although it is interesting to think about

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
the theory you disagree with is the theory that is the one ring, and that's been done. I just think the mask will only do what you want if you have a mischievous goal to it. otherwise nothing.
Keep in mind the One Ring is very much different. But even with the One Ring, it only seemed to allure people strongly, like with a sort of subliminal influence, when it was actually near them. So what that guy by the handle Kravik was getting at, I'd also say isn't true of the One Ring. But that's a different topic altogether

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Keep in mind the One Ring is very much different. But even with the One Ring, it only seemed to allure people strongly, like with a sort of subliminal influence, when it was actually near them. So what that guy by the handle Kravik was getting at, I'd also say isn't true of the One Ring. But that's a different topic altogether

The One-Ring was semi-sentient in the fact that it was actively trying to return to Sauron during the Hobbit, and was actually impeded in this by Bilbo who picked it up, and it took a hell of a long time for it to actually affect him and even then it was only just in the beginning process' of wraithifcation (we can assume certainly in this case). It had a will of it's own, or you could also see it as Saurons power was slowly growing and having imbued a great portion of his strength into the ring it became attuned to him and would resonate with his power allowing him to call it back to him.

The One Ring is an apt metaphor for Majora's Mask, it relied on a weak will to do it's will and when the time was right discarded the user and sought to operate on it's own devices. But whether the Power is actually within the mask or the Mask is is the conduit for an ulterior creature is another question entirely. I kinda learn to the former as the Mask does show it's alive to a degree (anyone else notice the eyes only really glow during the dekuficiation of link and the activation of the mask in full) Maybe the mask was indeed created by a powerful being Named Majora who then imbued the mask with it's destructive power and nature. The very fact the mask actually changes during the final boss fight makes me think that whatever power was within the mask finally reached the tipping point and burst free of it's host.

Alternate question, If majora's mask thought that the Fierce Deity was a bad guy what the hell does that say about link? we are given this mask of a supernaturally powerful being one able to almost absently slaughter Majora and they think it's evil, is it because majora itself was sealed into the mask by fierce diety or some other reason. Is it the combination of Link's Spirit and the Mask that makes Fierce Deity so powerful? Or would, if given the same length of time, the fierce deity mask turn link into a puppet and awake fully?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Well, the mask is sentient but it seems reliant on its wearer to do its bidding. Its influence over its minions seems to progress until the mask has total sway over them. They appear to be little more than puppets at that point.

It is unknown whether or not the mask can only influence or can more easily influence people with evil, dark or mischievous personalities. Skull Kid already possessed some of the masks traits, the mask only amplified them. It could also be that the mask isn't inherently chaotic but that it basically amplifies the particular vices of whoever wears it. A vain person would become insanely possessive, a greedy person would become an aggressive thief and hoarder, etc. It just may be that the mask and Skull Kid were a good match for each other.

As for influence beyond its wearer, obviously the mask has the ability to transmogrify people and pull celestial bodies from orbit. But I think it would have to be reliant on a host to wear it otherwise it could just do that whenever.

As for what it can see, there is no indication that the mask is omniscient or that it can perceive anything beyond its surroundings. Skull Kid was spotted in the vicinity of every malevolent trick he committed, so the mask was obviously compelling him to go all over Termina wreaking havoc. Majora couldn't just do these things from wherever. It had to be there.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Alternate question, If majora's mask thought that the Fierce Deity was a bad guy what the hell does that say about link? we are given this mask of a supernaturally powerful being one able to almost absently slaughter Majora and they think it's evil, is it because majora itself was sealed into the mask by fierce diety or some other reason. Is it the combination of Link's Spirit and the Mask that makes Fierce Deity so powerful? Or would, if given the same length of time, the fierce deity mask turn link into a puppet and awake fully?
Very interesting question. To be honest, Majora's Mask's vendetta against Termina and the Moon makes no sense (because there is no reasoning for Majora's Mask wanting to destroy the Moon and Planet. Atleast, not at first glance). There has to be a motive which we are missing. Sure one can say Termina is threatened because it is what Skull Kid wanted. But once the Mask casts him aside it attempts to continue on with the collision of the Moon and Planet. Why?

You might recall Justacoolguy's theory that Majora Mask's represents a Solar Deity, or demon, and Fierce Diety a Lunar Deity. Majora's Mask wants to eradicate the two other astral objects near it, the Moon and Planet, but the Moon especially. It could even be that the planet is just an unfortunate casualty in MM's efforts to destroy the Moon. JC's point was that by nature the masks are opposites, and that was why MM wanted to battle Feirce Deity. I really like this theory, but I'm not opposed to others.

I never considered that maybe FD might be responsible for trapping the entity, Majora, into a mask. Now that I am, I doubt that could be the case. I think if anything FD mask may have been designed with the intent of destroying MM.

As for Fierce Deity's mask and Link's connection. The FD mask's description says it uses dark power. There was also this quote.

"Could this mask's dark powers be as bad as Majora?" - FD Mask description (MM)

We can guess in the hands of anyone else they could use some of it's power, but not really effectively, it'd probably cause them to lose control like what happened to Skull Kid with MM. The big difference is with FD's mask it worked like a transformation mask rather than just being a normal mask that one puts on and gains some powers from. I do think maybe that was just because Link was using it. With that in mind, I doubt the FD mask would have corrupted Link, it is hard to say how it'd effect others.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Very interesting question. To be honest, Majora's Mask's vendetta against Termina and the Moon makes no sense (because there is no reasoning for Majora's Mask wanting to destroy the Moon and Planet. Atleast, not at first glance). There has to be a motive which we are missing. Sure one can say Termina is threatened because it is what Skull Kid wanted. But once the Mask casts him aside it attempts to continue on with the collision of the Moon and Planet. Why?

You might recall Justacoolguy's theory that Majora Mask's represents a Solar Deity, or demon, and Fierce Diety a Lunar Deity. Majora's Mask wants to eradicate the two other astral objects near it, the Moon and Planet, but the Moon especially. It could even be that the planet is just an unfortunate casualty in MM's efforts to destroy the Moon. JC's point was that by nature the masks are opposites, and that was why MM wanted to battle Feirce Deity. I really like this theory, but I'm not opposed to others.

I never considered that maybe FD might be responsible for trapping the entity, Majora, into a mask. Now that I am, I doubt that could be the case. I think if anything FD mask may have been designed with the intent of destroying MM.

As for Fierce Deity's mask and Link's connection. The FD mask's description says it uses dark power. There was also this quote.

"Could this mask's dark powers be as bad as Majora?" - FD Mask description (MM)

We can guess in the hands of anyone else they could use some of it's power, but not really effectively, it'd probably cause them to lose control like what happened to Skull Kid with MM. The big difference is with FD's mask it worked like a transformation mask rather than just being a normal mask that one puts on and gains some powers from. I do think maybe that was just because Link was using it. With that in mind, I doubt the FD mask would have corrupted Link, it is hard to say how it'd effect others.

I doubt that it would've corrupted link as well just for the fact he's used to the masks and their spirits by this point (unknown deku, Darmani and Mikau) but it does seem as if each of the spirits are actually spirits of vengeance possessing the masks, because link does end up saving each persons people from certain death and devastation so it kinda makes sense that FD too would follow the same line of thought.

I do sometimes wonder if indeed Majora and FD are counterparts was the moon really a moon or was it a creation of Majora's, we see he has strength enough to bring the world to it's knees fairly easily and is even able to overcome the giants and replace them with it's own creations so it could run that the moon was a manifestation of majora's rage, after all the moon did dissolve into a rainbow instead of going skyward once more. On the subject of FD possibly being as bad, if it and majora are counterparts, did they have a battle at one point where onew as weakened and the other bound to mask? Could that be why Majora uses the moon as a tool of destruction? Bound by it's old foe into the form of a mask it returns using a host and seals away it's rival.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I doubt that it would've corrupted link as well just for the fact he's used to the masks and their spirits by this point (unknown deku, Darmani and Mikau) but it does seem as if each of the spirits are actually spirits of vengeance possessing the masks, because link does end up saving each persons people from certain death and devastation so it kinda makes sense that FD too would follow the same line of thought.
In a way I can see the spirits of Darmani and Mikau as wanting vengence, or atleast consolence on things they failed at in life that has left the whole of their people in a bad situation. The spirit in the Deku Mask doesn't fit well in that notion because we know so little about whoever that Deku was, all we can guess is he is the Deku Butler's son. Attempting to theorize a reason for his spirit to want vengence would be gasping at straws, so I won't do it.

I do sometimes wonder if indeed Majora and FD are counterparts was the moon really a moon or was it a creation of Majora's, we see he has strength enough to bring the world to it's knees fairly easily and is even able to overcome the giants and replace them with it's own creations so it could run that the moon was a manifestation of majora's rage, after all the moon did dissolve into a rainbow instead of going skyward once more. On the subject of FD possibly being as bad, if it and majora are counterparts, did they have a battle at one point where onew as weakened and the other bound to mask? Could that be why Majora uses the moon as a tool of destruction? Bound by it's old foe into the form of a mask it returns using a host and seals away it's rival.
The Moon in the game perplexes me too. I want to say it isn't the planet's real Moon, because it does dissolve away at the end of the game. If it were actually the Moon than there is a huge problem, Termina will thereafter no longer have a Moon. I'd say the Moon is a creation of Majora's Mask, and it is meant to be a prison for FD's Mask, not only to subdue it, but to destroy it as well.

Agreed. I don't see how it would've been possible for Majora to lure Skull kid to the mask, seems like a silly argument to me. It doesn't matter who wears the mask, the person is simply a puppet and nothing more for Majora, so why Skull kid? If Majora could pick who it wanted to wear it, wouldn't it have chosen a more able-bodied person or someone of higher influence? Skull kid was probably doing devious things to lash out his frustration on the giants abandoning him, so he stole a colorful mask from some random guy in the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom