• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda How Easy is It for You to Play Zelda with an Unorthodox Control Scheme

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Thus far in the Zelda series we've touched upon traditional controls (rest of the series), touch controls (PH/ST), and motion controls (SS). My question is, for control schemes you aren't really accustomed to, how easy is it for you to play those games?

For me, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks both took some getting used to because my first instinct as a DS player was to hit the control pad to move my character. Combat became easier as I learned how to actually move Link around. ;)

Skyward Sword, however, came as a natural...not even sure why. Nothing in the game was particularly hard to do control-wise, but I doubt that's due to anything but my having watched other players play the gmae as well as having practice with the Demo.

Big Octo

=^)
I jumped into the ontrol scheme of PH/ST very easily. They were DS games, so I was planning on using the touch screen some way or another. It took a bit of practice for me to get Skyward Sword's controls down correctly. Even after I "mastered" them, I still didn't enjoy it very much.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
The touch screen I honestly dislike, and it often led to issues of, I can't run fast enough because the boss is taking up half the screen and Link movement speed is based on how far away i'm touching, but the screen doesn't extend far enough to the left to let me run.

They weren't the worst in the world, but if i could just use the buttons, I would have enjoyed the games 10 times as much.

------------------------------------

Skyward Sword, i'm still not sure. There are times where I were I wish they weren't stupid enough to add a nunchuck shaking sensor, forcing me to do front flips instead of stabbing, and uncontrollable shielding.
---------------------------

Honestly I personally struggle quite a bit with these types of controls. They just don't feel natural. And often times the controls just end up doing what ever they want on their own some times or get in the way of what I want to be doing.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The DS games could be a pain with uneccesary touch controls, but I got used to them.

And I got right into SS. I felt it one of the best parts of the game, and it shows Nintendo's capacity for innovation and creativity. THe Gust bellows could get me off-center, but that's easily fixable.

Salem

SICK
I got into these unorthodox control schemes so easily they became second nature to me.

It took me a little bit to get use to the Skyward Sword motion controls, but after I got the hang of them down, it was easy to control Link. I never really had any promblems with the touch screen controls of PH, and ST.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Yeah, I hear ya for those problems with the 64 games on the VC. i assure you the games have problems that didn't exist on the 64 and 3DS versions. Like why are the Ocarina notes assigned to an over-sensitive control stick on the VC? It's so much easier with the original button controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom