• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Does the Deku Shield Stop Metal Blades

Din Akera

Sniper
So the first example I can come up with is the Lizafos in dodongos cavern. I think that a wooden shield is fairly flimsy and wouldn't function overly well in battle. this obviously is why Link gets the upgrade to the Hylian metal shield. Also, discuss other things that the shield does that it, probably shouldn't.

L

Linkmsg92

Well If you think back to medieval times, many of the shields the plain warriors used were just wood with metal crossbars. I mean, the knights and such had full metal stuff but the average foot soldier did not. Wood, with thickness, can actually be a VERY sturdy material, It just has to be constructed correctly.

Austin

Austin
It's Zelda, it doesn't have to be scientifically plausible. Even if protected by the Hylian Shield, Link still should have been crushed flat when a few dozen giant boulders started to fall on him:hmm:

Jesper

I am baaacccckkkk
Ach, questions like these only have one answer. Remember this, and remember it well:

Nintendo Logic.

Answers everything.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I have ideas:

1. It's enchanted wood from the Deku Tree, which makes it stronger than normal (except against fire).
2. The metal blades aren't sharp enough to cut cleanly, and just take chips out of the wood rather than cutting through it.
3. Link is so adept at maneuvering his shield, that he always moves it so the blade strikes it at such an angle that the force behind it won't slice through the shield.

Ach, questions like these only have one answer. Remember this, and remember it well:

Nintendo Logic.

Answers everything.

It's more commonly known as Fridge Logic, but I see your point.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Maybe it's just a really thick wooden shield. That seems to be the most plausible answer. lol athenian, I like how you think but wouldn't the Deku Tree scream in agony if someone made a shield out of him?

Another thing that the Deku Shield does that it shouldn't: deflect Deku Nuts. Seriously, if a nut hit a solid surface it would bounce off and fall instead of fly in the direction it came.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Oh, no, TV Tropes. You've just doomed people to hours of interesting. (Knows what Fridge Logic is and refuses to click! Refuses to click!)

I figure that the Deku Shield is very tough. There are kinds of wood that can be very, very tough (so much so that dentures were made of some types of wood in the old days). Ever hear of ironwood? Back where I used to live, it is a scraggly desert tree - very dense wood, so much so that those that carved it created scultptures that looked like they were made from polished stone.

Also, it is sacred wood, taken from the Great Deku Tree (a deity, guardian of the forest, barrier guardian of Hyrule).

Yet, it goes up like newspaper when touched by fire. Everything must have it's advantages and disadvantages, paritcularly the "weaker" items in a video game.

Of course, there could alwyas be a "Mythbusters: Hyrule Edition" to deal with all these fridge logic things. In an unrelated legend, they actually *CONFIRMED* that bomb-arrows would/do indeed work!!!!

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Well, have you ever managed to cut cleanly through a plank of wood with what is probably, an iron blade.
It's not as easy as you think.
And that goes without mentioning the metal supports underneath. Many warriors in Medieval Europe used wooden shields including the Vikings who were ruthless sword and axe fighters.

OR, it could be "magical" wood...

Nintendo Logic.

Answers everything.

I remember this being the answer to a quandary on a facebook post to. Well, if I have learned one thing, it is that very wisdom you have provided.

zants follower

underling of the dark god
another few cases of this is, how does the deku stick keep the fire at the tip, but then just randomly fall to pieces, and why is a deku stick broken at the correct angle almost as strong as the legendary Sword of Evil's Bane?

Flute Boy

ganon slayer
ok, thick, made of enchanted wood, yadda yadda yadda... what confuses me about oot sheilds, is that the only sheild tha doesnt deflect deku nuts, is the only sheild that can apparantly reflect anything else without breaking, the mirror sheild. it is a magic sheild that is super shiney, and reflects everything except for deku nuts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom