• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask How Does Link Have Epona in MM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
Hey, I just have one question to ask. In OoT you don't get Epona until you're an adult (If my memory is correct). As a child, he had only befriended Epona (kind of) but did not gain ownership until adulthood. How is it possible that Link already has Epona as a child in MM?

13foxes

After being sent back in time, Link went to Lon Lon Ranch and got Epona. That's all I can think of.

And about 'how' he did that...
+ Maybe Link asked for Epona. Because Talon liked Link (he asked Link to marry Malon!), and Link gets along with Epona well (thanks to the song), so he gave Link the horse.
+ Link won another race with Talon, and had the horse as a prize. :clap:
+ Or, Link stole Epona (very unlikely).

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
As far as I'm aware, we can only speculate. I like the idea of Link going back to the ranch and asking to work to pay for Epona. I assume horses in general are expensive, and I always thought that if Epona was special enough for Ingo to want to give her to Ganondorf, then she was probably a standout of her breed. Had we stayed in the adult timeline Talon probably would have let Link keep her, considering Link saved the world, but in the child timeline he probably doesn't know that Link is the hero. But as 13foxes said, he does seem to like Link. I can see him allowing Link to work off payment.

Then again, it's Link. Even if Talon asked for 1000 rupees he'd just go find some holes in the ground and bring the treasure back to the ranch. :P

And I like the idea of establishing a ranch hand trend best, but another cute way would be to have Zelda think that it would be an appropriate way to thank Link. I can picture the note Talon receives. "Please accept my payment for Epona and give her to Link. He deserves it for saving the world."

No matter how it happens, I'm just glad Link and Epona are reunited after the events of OoT. Since I always got her before doing anything else, Epona always felt like a kind of companion to me (not in the "guide" sense), a constant who was always by your side in a world of chaos. I always felt a little sorry for Link having to leave her in the adult timeline.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
hmm i reckon he got epona by showing malon and talon how he cared for the horse though he did kinda abuse the horse as an adult WHO CHASES ALL OVER HYRULE JUST FOR A SWORD

well, if you remember when your first meet malon, shes all excited cause you come from the forest and have a fairy. so maybe if link told her that he had to go find navi, she would feel bad for him and let him take epona.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I've always thought about this myself. This is how I look at it: If Link went back in time warned Zelda about what was going to happen, he would still be considered a hero in Hyrule. So as long as the people of Hyrule bought into this idea, there's a decent chance Talon and Malon gave him Epona as a gift, like a thank you for saving Hyrule. Another idea would be if Link was trying to find Navi, maybe (as stated above) he bought her from Talon, knowing he would be doing a lot of traveling in trying to find Navi. That's my take on the situation.

Flagpole

I'm back!!
Very interesting question, but I don't really think it has a solid answer to it.

Maybe it's just something inlogical, I mean, Link could have got Epona by something illogicaly ocurring with him, Epona and Malon and Talon... Also, I would like to remember the fact that, in the presentation of Oracle of Ages, Link is riding Epona without any logical method of getting her, so we can suppose that Link gets Epona in Majora Mask the same illogical way he gets it in [the presentation of] Oracle of Ages.

As for logical solutions (not so logical, actually), I do have a few of them:

- Link still has his strong friendship with Epona that he had with her as an adult as a child, not being affected by Zelda trasladating Link back to the past, though this logical solution is highly unporbable to be the correct one.

- Link already knows Epona Song as a child, and maybe he could have gained her trust and gotten some special permission from Malon and/or Talon to take her away.

- Talon likes the way Link is, and gives him Epona so that she gets an owner that can take care of her and let her run free through Hyrule Field.

- Malon, as we already know, loves Link and wants to give Epona to him.

- Link may have offered some rupees for Epona, won a race to get her, stealed her or ask to someone at Lon Lon Ranch to give him Epona for a while.

Meh, that's all the logical solutions I can think of.

Though the most probable logical soultion is no one really, and we do have to stick with the idea of this being something illogical, that Nintendo may not even have payed attention to.

Yeah, basically what the above have said. It was a different timeline, so ultimately he just found a way to acquire Epona. It doesn't even need a deep explanation really. It's not really a major detail (not to be an ***). =\

Because Talon liked Link (he asked Link to marry Malon!)
That was a joke though, so I don't think it's relevant. He did like Link though. ;)

hmm i reckon he got epona by showing malon and talon how he cared for the horse though he did kinda abuse the horse as an adult WHO CHASES ALL OVER HYRULE JUST FOR A SWORD
Sword? Link had already gotten the Master Sword by the time he got Epona. I also don't know how you can say he abused Epona considering all he did was ride her? (That's what she said.)

I've always thought about this myself. This is how I look at it: If Link went back in time warned Zelda about what was going to happen, he would still be considered a hero in Hyrule. So as long as the people of Hyrule bought into this idea, there's a decent chance Talon and Malon gave him Epona as a gift, like a thank you for saving Hyrule. Another idea would be if Link was trying to find Navi, maybe (as stated above) he bought her from Talon, knowing he would be doing a lot of traveling in trying to find Navi. That's my take on the situation.
I'm not sure about this one, though. I don't think it was intended that he was world famous afterward, although certainly Zelda knew of his heroism. But I guess I'm not sure. Again, I'm pretty sure in the beginning, Ocarina of Time was not intended to have the timeline split, so what they did back then and what would be canon now with the timeline split confirmed would be kinda odd.

Still, him being made famous anyway... that could explain some of the Hero of Time references in the Child Timeline game, Twilight Princess (which didn't make much sense without people still knowing about the Hero of Time)...

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
It is very strange, because you can technically finish OoT without ever getting Epona. You only need her to get the Biggoron's Sword and the Big Poes, not to complete the main quest. So it's possible that a player of OoT might pick up MM, and wonder where the heck Epona came from. You could play through the entire game, and never enter Lon Lon Ranch or learn Epona's Song. As little sense as it makes, it makes even less sense if you never got Epona.

Few players would miss Lon Lon Ranch, though, because it's in the middle of Hyrule Field. Malon and Talon mention it, and you miss out on Epona's Song, two bottles, two Pieces of Heart, some Gold Skulltulas, and Biggoron's Sword if you never go inside.

Anyway, it's possible that Link simply purchased Epona. After all, he has access to a lot of money, especially if he tipped off the royal family about Ganondorf.

I think it is fairly simple. As a child, you learn Epona's Song, and I think by then, you are good enough friends with Malon that she would allow you to ride Epona. You simply cannot ride her because thee are certain areas you are restricted from going to as a child.
In my opinion of what happens canonically, Link simply does not ride Epona until he becomes an adult, at which point he takes ownership of the horse temporarily, until he is sent back in time.

It is very strange, because you can technically finish OoT without ever getting Epona. You only need her to get the Biggoron's Sword and the Big Poes, not to complete the main quest. So it's possible that a player of OoT might pick up MM, and wonder where the heck Epona came from. You could play through the entire game, and never enter Lon Lon Ranch or learn Epona's Song. As little sense as it makes, it makes even less sense if you never got Epona.

Few players would miss Lon Lon Ranch, though, because it's in the middle of Hyrule Field. Malon and Talon mention it, and you miss out on Epona's Song, two bottles, two Pieces of Heart, some Gold Skulltulas, and Biggoron's Sword if you never go inside.
Actually, I'm fairly positive that you need to get her to jump across the bridge to Gerudo Valley, but correct me if I'm wrong.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Actually, I'm fairly positive that you need to get her to jump across the bridge to Gerudo Valley, but correct me if I'm wrong.

You can also make it across the busted bridge if you have the longshot. It's long enough to reach the wooden posts on the opposite side (and the sign too if I recall).

Yeah, I kind of forgot about that, but I still seem to remember he being required for something. Regardless, I still think she was unavailable as a kid simply to restrict you from going certain places.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom