• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword How Does Demise Resemble Ganon?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
How does Demise resemble Ganon? I've heard numerous people tell me they look similar, but I don't really see it. Demise is a huge pulsating greyish guy with black scales, and Ganon is a huge blue pig monster.

Demise has a large black anti-Master Sword. Ganon never uses any weapon resembling this.

Demise is talkative. Ganon is usually silent.

Demise has flaming hair. Ganon has orange hair in some depictions.

So how are these two so similar?

They don't. If there is one character that resembles Ganondorf more than Demise in Skyward sword, that's Groose. Just because Demise is the source of Ganondorf's Origins does not mean that they are connected in anyway, hatred isn't enough to tie Ganondorf to Demise together.

Last edited:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well the two aren't carbon copies of each other but I do see why people make comparisons, I think the most recent appearance of Ganondorf is the best to compare to...

- Both have a very similar colour scheme, black mainly and orange
- Even though Demise's hair is fiery it still resembles the same colour as Ganondorfs and even more specifically the Demon King Ganon from OoT
- Both have black robes around their waist
- Not sure about exact height but they do look around the same height
- Going off TP's Ganondorf, he does in fact speak much like Demise
- Both have quite a similar tone and presence when speaking
- Similar fight style, both are essentially sword battles (Final stage from Twilight Princess)

I think when most of us saw Demise for the first time we thought of Ganondorf, obviously not the same but Demise in my opinion bears closer resemblance to the likes of TP Ganondorf compared to LttP Ganon. Another thing which we can't help but ignore is that because of that whol curse idea (sigh) we come to the conclusion that Ganondorf is Demise's hate reborn. Nintendo if going off the whole curse idea which they did, they probably had Ganondorf in mind when creating Demise. If they made a completely different Villain in terms of appearance then the whole hate being reborn wouldn't make as much sense.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
But then Ganondorf would be the hate incarnate. Hate might not be limited to the form of its creator. We also need to consider that Ganondorf was born of a specific tribe with specific features.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Well the two aren't carbon copies of each other but I do see why people make comparisons, I think the most recent appearance of Ganondorf is the best to compare to...

- Both have a very similar colour scheme, black mainly and orange
- Even though Demise's hair is fiery it still resembles the same colour as Ganondorfs and even more specifically the Demon King Ganon from OoT
- Both have black robes around their waist
- Not sure about exact height but they do look around the same height
- Going off TP's Ganondorf, he does in fact speak much like Demise
- Both have quite a similar tone and presence when speaking
- Similar fight style, both are essentially sword battles (Final stage from Twilight Princess)

I think when most of us saw Demise for the first time we thought of Ganondorf, obviously not the same but Demise in my opinion bears closer resemblance to the likes of TP Ganondorf compared to LttP Ganon. Another thing which we can't help but ignore is that because of that whol curse idea (sigh) we come to the conclusion that Ganondorf is Demise's hate reborn. Nintendo if going off the whole curse idea which they did, they probably had Ganondorf in mind when creating Demise. If they made a completely different Villain in terms of appearance then the whole hate being reborn wouldn't make as much sense.

^This right here. I don't think I could've said it better.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
But then Ganondorf would be the hate incarnate. Hate might not be limited to the form of its creator. We also need to consider that Ganondorf was born of a specific tribe with specific features.

Yes he is born of a different race I was just pointing out the obvious similarities which were in a way intended.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?

It's also very likely that the reincarnation of Demise's hate tends to carry certain characteristics with it, regardless of the race of the individual said hate is reincarnating as. This would explain superficial similarities, such as coloring, height, conversation, etc., as pointed out by justac00lguy, while still allowing them to be separate entities.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Those examples are purely asthetic. Just because Ganondorf is the reincarnation of Demise's hatred does not mean he would look identical.

They both have the same lust for power and the hatred of all that is good.

Idealistic and philosophical reincarnation, not physical, like the Spirit of the Hero.

What justac00lguy said pretty much covers it. There are enough similarities that Demise is evocative of Ganondorf to most Zelda fans.

One thing I have to add: I've heard theories before about how Ganon might be a different entity than Ganondorf. Like, Ganon is actually some ancient demon that's somehow channeled through Ganondorf when he uses the Triforce of Power to transform. Or something like that, not sure if I have it exactly. Anyways, I thought this theory made more sense after I beat SS. It sure makes it sound like Demise's hate, and his curse, is the reason that Ganon takes he shape he does (although it is true that the earlier 2D versions of Ganon have very little in common with Demise--but that can be explained away as Nintendo not having come up with the idea for Demise yet.)

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Demise was most likely designed for the Demon King look without Ganondorf's appearance in mind. They don't look similar and if they do share some characteristics, it's because they're both villains.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Yeah, they really share no particular similarity other than their humanesque shape and large size; both likely done for dramatic effect. They really don't look at all like each other.

They're both gigantic, lunking, ripped men who dress in black and have fiery red hair and large noses. They don't look like twins, but they bear very similar characteristics, possibly a symbol of Demise' hated and evil being incarnated into Ganondorf. Just like Demise said, his hatred would continue to haunt Link's descendants for eternity, a blatantly obvious allusion to Ganondorf.

The only similarity I can honestly see is the huge noses. Except Demise has a wide, flat nose that looks like it got smushed by a sumo wrestler--while Ganondorf's nose is just big in general.

Though if you ask Fi about Demise, she's all like:
According to tales passed down through generations, it appears differently in each epoch and to each person who lays eyes on it.
So comparing physical attributes is pointless. Compare Demise to other random people while you're at it. Demise looks like Santa Claus, and you know it. Besides, Ganon holds no direct connection to Demise in any way whatsoever. The chances of him taking the actions he did... every other person in Hyrule bore the same risk, the same probabilities... same lust for the Triforce:

A Link to the Past opening said:
...legends told of an omnipotent and omniscient Golden Power that resided in a hidden land.
Many people aggressively sought to enter the hidden Golden Land...
"Aggressively sought". They all held corruption in some way, in some form. They must look like Demise, too! =O

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
So comparing physical attributes is pointless. Compare Demise to other random people while you're at it. Demise looks like Santa Claus, and you know it. Besides, Ganon holds no direct connection to Demise in any way whatsoever. The chances of him taking the actions he did... every other person in Hyrule bore the same risk, the same probabilities... same lust for the Triforce:

In game lore, Demise supposedly looks different to all who see him, but we as the players all saw the same thing. That means that his character design looks similar to Ganondorf (if you agree with that notion). Also, because of the supposed "curse" that Demise says and the concept that Ganondorf is the most reoccurring villain in the series, it is not far fetched to say that Nintendo wanted Demise to be the source of Ganodorf's reoccurrence. You could say that Demise is the source of all the villains in Zelda games, but again that "reocurring villain" thing makes it more likely that it's only related to Ganondorf considering the G-man is the only threat that reoccurs so frequently. We don't have concrete proof that Ganondorf is connected to Demise, but I'm pretty sure Nintendo wanted people to believe so.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
So comparing physical attributes is pointless. Compare Demise to other random people while you're at it. Demise looks like Santa Claus, and you know it.

I wanted to be the first person to point that out, but I guess you beat me too it :( oh well :P

Demise and Ganondorf may look similar, I dunno. Only one person in the [Zelda] world could know for sure. The way we see Demise is--I'm assuming--the way Link sees him. Demise's resemblance to Ganondorf would make sense in this case. Demise's hatred gets reincarnated into what is later known as Ganondorf. The person Demise told this to is the one that killed him, Link. So, his reincarnation would take on the form Link saw, right?

Personally, I don't see much resemblance between the two... Ganondorf's a gerudo, Demise is a demon. Unless you want to call the gerudo a bunch of Demonic looking girls, I don't see much of a way to compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom