• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild How Do You Want Zelda Portrayed?

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I apologize if there's already a thread like this but...

In the new Zelda Wii U game, how do you want Zelda to be portrayed? What role do you want her to take? What personality would you like to see? What would you want her relationship with Link to be?

Personally, I would want her to be less cold and elegant, and more charismatic and witty. I would also like to see her able to defend herself, even if only a little bit. No, I don't mean she becomes more skilled than the hero (He must be the most badass!) but, a small personal attempt to fight back wouldn't hurt. I want to see her as clever or smart or something-- like, actually portray the fact that she does, in fact, posses the triforce of wisdom. Also, I think I would like her to be either friends with Link, or at least previously acquainted with him. As I'm sure my sig already tells you, I quite liked their relationship in SS.

How do you want Zelda to be portrayed in Zelda Wii U?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I want Zelda to be independent and capable of defending herself. I'm tired of this damsel-in-distress nonsense. Given that she is capable of defending herself, there are two paths that I'd like to see (one or the other, obviously)

1) Distant
In this situation, she would ideally be distant from the other characters. There would be no false relationship with Link that is totally discarded once the introduction is over. Whatever plot twist involving her (and if Zelda is in the game, ther will be a plot twist involving her) would not affect her character except that she is (even more) serious. This woudl cause her to strike off on her own path, maybe culminating in a final battle with the Hero-in-Green himself?

2) In Link's Shadow
In this path, Zelda would always be under Link regarding combat abilities. This would be where she has a relationship - romantic - with the hero. If she falters and is kidnapped, she's very well be able to escape or get damn close to it. Ultimately she'd help Link fend off whatever evil - even if it were himself - though she would still suffer wounds thanks to her lacking expertise and wit like Link himself does.

In the new Zelda Wii U game, how do you want Zelda to be portrayed?

As who she is--royalty. I don't want us to go back to SS's friendliness,although I did like it. Zelda is a princess, i want Nintendo to treat her as such.

What role do you want her to take?

the role of, not quite a damsel in distress, but the victim of Ganondorf's evil from a martyrous[Neolinguism, woot], monarchish, and damsely viewpoint. She's the one you need to rescue because of her importance, and who knows what Ganon plans with her, but I want her to be a leader as well. As often the sole guiding star of Hyrule, Zelda's role is underestimated a lot. She's the leader of a once-powerful kingdom. She should become as such, imo.

What personality would you like to see?

Serious, but willing to laugh--not as stoic as TP's Zelda, although that did suit her in that game. I want her personality tailored to the game, but for the love of Glob, she has the Triforce of Wisdom. She's not weak. I don't want a woman who'll scream haplessly at every monster, but one who isn't ready for Ganon's evil either. Just make her smart enough for it to seem realistic that she'd have the Triforce of Wisdom and brave enough to be defiant of Ganondorf, but not enough to take any real action[that's Link's lob], and I'm fine.

What would you want her relationship with Link to be?

Ehn. This is a tricky one--I don't want another ZeLink after two games, but at the same time I do. Initially, however, i don't want a very close relationship between the two. As I stated above, that was cute in SS, but I don't want it to get old.

First, Zelda needs to get more involved. Whether she's the sidekick, hero, damsel-in-distress, villain, whatever, she needs to be in the story more. Zelda's influence in Twilight Princess extended to giving Link a couple of words of advice, healing Midna once, and filling the vague role of damsel-in-distress. Otherwise, she really did nothing. Kind of the same thing with Skyward Sword and even The Wind Waker to some degree (why was Tetra, for being so interesting a character, so scarcely seen?). Zelda is the typical MacGuffin and eponymous character, but she traditionally does very little besides sit in a tower and look pretty. If she's a helper, I want her to take an active role in banishing the evil. If she's the damsel, I want Link to be constantly aware of her struggles and past actions. The bottom line is, Zelda needs to get involved, not sit on the sidelines just so we can say the series is still named after her. The series actually does have kind of a problem with building on its characters, like how the Ordon kids disappeared into the background after the Lakebed Temple in Twilight Princess, so it needs to fix this on the whole.

What I personally want to see her as next is a princess - not the queen who's called a princess, not the daughter of a king who does nothing, but a real princess of a tangible royal family. I kind of want to see a Zelda who is kind and caring but completely ignorant of the commoner's customs, such that she tries to help and winds up creating mischief instead. I want her to meet with Link regularly and not get kidnapped right away so that she actually sticks around for awhile. I don't know that I even want her kidnapped this time - let's try something new and have her help Link with her vast wealth, army, library, and status, not just as a telepath asking for help or a ghost following him around. Let's make use of that hoard of money and power, eh?

Mido

Version 1
I have to say, I was relatively unimpressed with Zelda's involvement in TP, but I guess I could understand why a little bit of why she was portrayed like that. I want to see Zelda a bit more involved, in a way that actually makes the player feel as if it is of the utmost importance to rescue her, instead of just a run-of-the-mill task. (Even though it kind of is one! :cool:) Kind of like how during the Midna's Lament dilemma, I want to see a dire situation come into play, hopefully.

ILU

i luv u
I want her to be like Zelda in Twilight Princess.

BUT MORE!
Zelda felt underdeveloped in TP, and there is a reason: Midna. Thank goodness we got somebody as new and exciting and charismatic as Midna, but Zelda was intended to play a larger role in the story. Sheik in Brawl? Yeah, that was intended for Twilight Princess. TP copied OoT a lot... too much maybe. Adding Sheik in there would have made the game almost identical, so it's good they left her out because we wouldn't have been able to appreciate her despite how important a part she played or how defined she was as a character.

So, I'd love to see them bring that type of Zelda back, and I'd like to see them expand upon her power. The Zelda we are usually given is often very young/naive and open and caring. That's fine, I don't mind it at all. Zelda is a lovely person in every incarnation. But, with Twilight Princess, we saw her as a true ruler of Hyrule. She was strong and wise and loved her people so dearly that she had to made a difficult decision on the spot in a lose-lose situation in order to protect them all. I want to see more of that. I want to see what that type of Zelda would be like without another character to overshadow her.

ILU said:
Sheik in Brawl? Yeah, that was intended for Twilight Princess. TP copied OoT a lot... too much maybe. Adding Sheik in there would have made the game almost identical, so it's good they left her out because we wouldn't have been able to appreciate her despite how important a part she played or how defined she was as a character.

Nintendo wanted to incorporate Sheik into Twilight Princess? Never knew that. I wouldn't mind another alias for Zelda as long as it remains well concealed like Sheik from OoT.

Reading Hylian_Monolith's post offered me some interesting ideas but from an opposing point of view. Zelda's been portrayed as a princess far too many times. I'm sure we've all heard stories where royalty find a similar looking peasant and switch places with them escaping the rigidity of the upper class. A rebellious Zelda would be a far cry from her kind, submissive incarnations seen thus far.

Realizing her mistakes-the troubles she's caused for the kingdom and the people she's inadvertently thrown into the chaos of her life-would result in a more mature, thoughtful Zelda. The princess of Hyrule has long been touted as the embodiment of wisdom; let's see that intelligence developed through the folly and subsequent understanding of a precursor.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The series is called "The Legend of Zelda," so it should be just that. In most of the games, it is all about Link, thus causing many people to believe that Link is the titular character. Since it is a story about Zelda, then she should have a slightly larger role. Skyward Sword did this fairly well, since the story revolved around Zelda. But games like Twilight Princess did not do as much as they should have. They should have called it The Legend of Midna or something, since the game mostly revolves around her. If the series is named after a particualr character, then it should be about that particular character. I don't think Zelda should just be another damsel in distress, I think she should play a bigger part in actually saving hyrule. She's the princess, it's what she is supposed to do!

I agree with most everybody here, Zelda should be represented as someone more wise and thoughtful. Sorta how Wind waker was, with Tetra being a leader of a band of pirates; and a good one at that. She was more than a sassy pirate who spoke big, but actually needed her butt rescued every 5 minutes like a lot of cliche female protagonists. She was an intelligent, strong, thoughtful and wise leader. The main problem with her is that she 1: returned as a worthless damsel in distress after hyrule, and 2: not a developed as she could of been.

Take away those problems, and make her just as wise and thoughtful, then we could have one of the best Zelda's yet. Or at least, the best Zelda to me personally :P

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
I want her to be like Zelda in Twilight Princess.

BUT MORE!
Zelda felt underdeveloped in TP, and there is a reason: Midna. Thank goodness we got somebody as new and exciting and charismatic as Midna, but Zelda was intended to play a larger role in the story. Sheik in Brawl? Yeah, that was intended for Twilight Princess. TP copied OoT a lot... too much maybe. Adding Sheik in there would have made the game almost identical, so it's good they left her out because we wouldn't have been able to appreciate her despite how important a part she played or how defined she was as a character.

So, I'd love to see them bring that type of Zelda back, and I'd like to see them expand upon her power. The Zelda we are usually given is often very young/naive and open and caring. That's fine, I don't mind it at all. Zelda is a lovely person in every incarnation. But, with Twilight Princess, we saw her as a true ruler of Hyrule. She was strong and wise and loved her people so dearly that she had to made a difficult decision on the spot in a lose-lose situation in order to protect them all. I want to see more of that. I want to see what that type of Zelda would be like without another character to overshadow her.

The TP version of Zelda is my favourite in recent memory, although i would like it better if she was the ruling queen or something, she doesn't have to do anything physical or action to be a badass, its enough that she's planning the downfall of her enemy to be cool.

I'd like to see her portrayed very much like she was in TP with a little more characterisation. Zelda is a princess and was a queen in TP, we really need to see her use some sort of authoritarian power becuase in sixteen games of the role we've seen her do very little in the way of political decisions and even less so for reasons due to narrative and plot. It'd be nice to see her older with more responsibility, a colder personality to know that not every decision is an easy one to make for the good of the land, i'd really find that interesting for her character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom