• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time How Do You Think Ocarina of Time Would Have Been if It Was First Person?

I remember reading once that Miyamoto wanted OoT to be first person, but changed it to third person because you wouldn't be able to see the difference from child and adult link. Don't take my word for it, though.

So, how do you think it would be.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I think it'd be a worse game overall. Part of what made OoT was seeing Link's animations in comparison to the world around him. First person point of view takes all of that away.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
This was a post on Did You Know Gaming, I think.

I would imagine it probably look like the Elder Scrolls series while playing, but as you mentioned, you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference between adult Link and Child Link. I'm personally really glad Nintendo changed it to third person.

Big Octo

=^)
I recall there being a glitch that allows the player to move around when looking in first person. I've executed it before, and after running around for a bit and swinging my sword, I found that it wouldn't work too well with the way the game is structured. However, if the game was built around a first-person view, I'm sure that it would have still worked. Perhaps it would not have been of the same calliber compared to what we do have, but it still would have been something notable. I guess we should be thankfull for the final descsision regarding perspective.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Well, I think it would have been fine, but, it's not really a fit for Zelda. First-person's biggest draw is that it leaves as low a gap as possible in interaction between the player and the character, it's the most immersive view-point. You see exactly what they see. Zelda's not really an immersive game. You can get lost in its story and world and I'm not saying it's an entirely un-immersive experience, but, it's not the same calibur as games like Call of Duty which throws you into the battlefield. Your not saving Hyrule, Link is, and you control Link, whereas stuff like COD and Battlefield, it's ,more about you, you become that person. NPCs point directly at you, they interact directly with you, it's a lot more direct and immersive. In Zelda, they interact with Link, and you listen in.

So, I don't think first-person is really the best fit for a Zelda game, I don't think it'd really add anything. Although I'd like to see a first-person Zelda just to see the rage.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
whereas stuff like COD and Battlefield, it's ,more about you, you become that person. NPCs point directly at you, they interact directly with you, it's a lot more direct and immersive.

These are all horrible examples. CoD and BF point at the player character, not me. It's effectively the same thing as one talking to Link, just with a different point of view.

A much better example would be the likes of Skyrim.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
These are all horrible examples. CoD and BF point at the player character, not me. It's effectively the same thing as one talking to Link, just with a different point of view.

A much better example would be the likes of Skyrim.

How are they horrible examples? The character does not need to be an empty shell for that to work, the NPCs are still pointing directly at your screen and out and at you, which was my point. When he gets attacked, and something happens to him, it's happening directly to you too, you are him, or her. Again, the character in a FP game doesn't need to be some blank sheet, it's still the most immersive view-point regardless of if who you are has, or has not, got their own character.

And I wouldn't use Skyrim considering it utilizes third-person, too. I played a lot of Skyrim in third-person after installing a camera mod, and it pans out into third-person throughout the game.

Last edited:
I can only imagine the platforming, combat, and climbing. I shiver at the thought.

Those would definitely be awkward. Rolling around would be a mess in first person, and so would the parrying from TWW. It would seem like the camera would be having a seizure. Combat wouldn't be so bad though, but doing some attacks such as the jump attack would be kind of weird. There's also the fact that all the Zelda games have been third person/overview. We have always seen Link and all his animations. It would be awkward if they transitioned toward first person. Zelda mechanics would change as we know it.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
It would be horrible, probably have to look and feel like elder scrolls or chivalry, it would change a lot of what we would see in current Zelda games, besides that every Zelda game prior was third person, and it wouldn't make to much sense to stray from that.

For those saying it would be horrible, hear me out.

The game was still in the planning stages. It probably would have been designed around the first person perspective. In the current state of the game, it wouldn't work AT ALL. If they had designed the game around the first person, maybe it could have still been an amazing game. Who knows?

TMLink76240

Travis Mask
I love the idea of FP games. If you really really really wanna feel like your walking in the character's shoes, play a FP game.
But, with a Zelda game....I'd love to see it work-out; as well as, come-up with something that would make it work, but I don't think you'd get that Zelda game feel(you can blame the reason FP would fail on the eagle eye point of view for the first and ALttP)
Who knows....Maybe it could be as the Elder Scrolls, toward you could switch between FP and TP*and still be able to use equipment*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom