• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How do you think Astral Chain compare to other Platinum games?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Platinum is a diverse studio. Most recognized for the Bayonetta games and, lately, Nier: Automata, they've also produced titles like Transformers: Devastation, The Wonderful 101, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

With Astral Chain being added to this most impressive resumé, how does it stack up and compare to the rest of the studio's portfolio? Do you prefer it, or does it feel like a mere parenthesis? Is it similar to their other work or is it completely unique? Should Platinum make more games like this in the future?

I've never played a bad Platinum game. I even played Metal Gear Rising and loved it and I'm not a Metal Gear fan.

For me, Astral Chain isn't as kinetic as Bayonetta or as emotionally resonant as Nier Automata, in fact the game as a whole feels rather restrained in almost every regard.

That isn't a bad thing though, it is nice to see Platinum not feel the need to rely on spectacle like Bayonetta does. It's nice to see them take the slower pace from Nier and add much more to Astral Chain's world too.

Despite Astral Chain coming out after Bayonetta and Nier Automata it kind of feels like a middle child, the one that exists and doesn't do anything wrong but also the one no one really wants to talk about.

I respect everything Platinum has tried to do with Astral Chain, I like how they've experimented with exploration, platforming and stealth. I also like how they story is more succinct than that of Bayonetta (which doesn't care if it makes sense and isn't deep anyway) and Nier Automata (which is so deep it ceases to make sense based on your reading of it).

The quality of the title is amazing too. Even comparing the motorbike scene from Bayonetta and the one in Astral Chain will show you how much Platinum have improved. And as much as I love Nier Automata's combat, I think I prefer Astral Chain's more experimental and free form approach thanks to the Legions and the ways you can build them for combat.

In my opinion, Astral Chain is top tier Platinum and it doesn't just make me excited for sequels, it makes me excited for anything they choose to do next.

If you talk about Platinum then Astral Chain needs to be mentioned in the same breath as Bayonetta and Nier Automata.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom