• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Take to Reading?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I know the thread title is worded terribly, and that is part of my thread: how do you read things? Do you analyze on the first read through, or maybe do you read it once to understand what's going on, and give the analyzing to the second or third run?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't analyze it at all. My English teacher is telling us how important close reading and annotation is (If it's so important, why is this year the first time I've ever heard of it?), but that stuff isn't really necessary for me to understand the reading. I just read. All it typically takes for me to grasp the story is one read. Heck, I could summarize what happens in the play The Crucible off the top of my head RIGHT NOW, and I haven't read it since last year. As far as reading goes, it doesn't take me long to understand the text. I never analyze (unless it counts for a grade in my English class).

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I read for my enjoyment, and I re-read to relive that enjoyment, which allows me to discover more than I managed the first time I read it :P

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
Depends on what I'm reading, really. With fiction I usually read it at least twice if it's good enough, so I can learn all the plot twists, then see how they affect the previous sections of the story in my 2nd time through.

I don't like reading nonfiction.

Joy

The Sexy One
Actually, I read very fast, because I skim through the page, I only read the important words in the sentence. It's weird, I don't realise I'm doing it, it happens automatically.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
Once I fall into a book, it's pretty hard to get me out. I just get lost in the words, doesn't matter what it is, fiction, non-fiction, whatever. Analysis usually happens on the first read, I like to read between lines when I read and pick out small details, especially if it's a particularly beautifully written book. Sometimes I read through quickly when I get into the story and then I might decide to pick up the book and read it again a couple months later, in which I read it slower and notice things I missed before, which is always interesting.
i am basically a book-devourer.

I read for my enjoyment, and I re-read to relive that enjoyment, which allows me to discover more than I managed the first time I read it :P

...Yeah, this. Subsequent read-through always have me forget stuff, and the nostalgia piles up around the points I do recall. I remember basic plot and certain random parts vividly; it takes several readings to memorize every event.

Hmmm, it depends... if it's philosophy I read and re-read often to make sure I understand the dialogue/argument; for non-fiction... eh, depending on the subject. Fiction literature is often pretty smooth sailing but then again, especially with high brow reads, there's often a lot of analyzing. I do like reading comics and manga when I want to read for enjoyment

bunny

birb overlord
It depends on whether or not I understood what I read. Usually I just read something once; I'll only read it again if I have to, or if I want to, I guess. I'm not really one for analyzing, though. If I'm reading, it's either for homework or for fun, and to be completely honest I don't pay much attention while doing either, so.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I don't really analyze any books I read unless I have too. I always hated it when teachers made us do chapter summaries, or answer questions based on the events that took place, or make us write/analyze passages in the novel and describe their meaning. It seemed to wreck the story for me. I like reading for enjoyment. As long as I understand the plot and find the novel engaging, that's good enough for me.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
If it's fiction, I don't analyze. I read it for enjoyment, rereading and catching new things on subsequent read through. If it's nonfiction or for work, I absolutely analyze it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
...Yeah, this. Subsequent read-through always have me forget stuff, and the nostalgia piles up around the points I do recall. I remember basic plot and certain random parts vividly; it takes several readings to memorize every event.

I really love it when I re-read a book I love and it's like the book has "grown" since the last time I read it, because there's suddenly huge chunks of stuff that I cannot recall having read before, and for a minute I'm almost convinced it truly wasn't there the last time, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom