• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Small Talk?

HEY!!!! How's the weather <------ [I think that that is one of the stup!de$t small talk in all of history (can't you see the weather yourself? :P).] For me, small talk is the hardest part for me. My question is "How Do You Small Talk?" or what are you're conversations starters. Today I was trying to talk to a girl on the way to a class on the other side of the school and all I could say was "Doesn't it sux that our next class is so far" and "I could hear your sandals flopping when you walk" and that was all. So can you guys give me & ZD small talk tips, anecdotes or anything else. :D

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
Well, usually when I'm trying, and succeeding :cool:, to talk to my lady friends, since we're all really close I can just walk up to 'em and ask 'em for a hug, and then I ask how there day's been going. Make sure you listen to what the persons saying... ;)

That's about all I've got. ^^

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
With my guy friends, we just start any conversation about video games. "So I herd u liek mudkips" is a good one :xd:

With my lady friends, I usually throw some compliment out there that isn't too complimentative (if that is a word). E.G "Your hair looks nice." If you try using that, don't make it seem like you are hitting on her because she might be affected by that despite it not being your intention.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
I don't I ignore small talk and go do other stuff to pass the time. Small talk is mere distractions that could have been used for something more interesting.
The only moment I do ever small talk is when All options are not helping my current situation. The topic would be anything from skies to discussions or mere lolling around.

I love small talk. I can start an intense conversation with someone just by saying, "So how's your day?" Compliments are nice, too, especially with ladies, and something as small as that can really brighten a day. Movies also make great small talk, like "so, seen any good movies lately?" is one of my favorites.

Conor

the over analysing guy
Well I've been with my girlfriend so long I think I may have forgot -.-, but I remember it started off with common interests, it doesn't have to be anything big, just saying what you had for food, or a movie you've seen recently, more often than not the conversation will spiral off into bizarre things, and you get to know each other better :p

Nicole

luke is my wife
Well, honestly, it depends who I'm talking to. If I'm around my close friends, I'll say something silly or random to make them laugh. Sometimes I'll speak in an accent, usually British. Unfortunately, my accents aren't very good. Usually a conversation (albeit a pretty crazy one!) will pick up from there. However, I would never do that around someone I'm not that comfortable around, like someone I'm not very friendly with, guys, or a crush. That's because I'm self-conscious, so I worry that they'll think I'm weird. (As if people don't already think I'm weird, lol.)

Around guys I'll usually talk about sports. I love to watch football and baseball, and sometimes a little bit of basketball. I play a lot of basketball, though, so I'm well-versed in the more popular sports. Frankly, small talk is all I really get into with guys. I don't know what else I'd talk about with them, considering I'm not dating anyone and I'm just kind of awkward like that. Sometimes I worry that I make myself look like an idiot in front of my crush(es) by being WAY too loud, but I don't realize it until after the fact. A calm conversation can go a long way. Usually I'll look for something we have in common, which is, again, sports most of the time. Then I just go from there until I get into a steady conversation.

I don't usually have an issue finding the right words to say; it's just a matter of making sure I stay calm (in the case of crushes :sweat:). I've been told that I'm very loud, but out-going, too. I'm not afraid to start a conversation, and I think that helps.

KnowItAllBird

Hero of Time
Honestly man I suck at this crap too...... So I normally just dont talk...

If you're looking for women, I'd suggest avoiding my method ;)

I'm really fortunate. Almost every single girl I know/hang out with plays about as many video games as I do, so conversation is never that difficult when I'm with female friends, haha. xD

But, I do have some experience with small talk that doesn't involve video games, fortunately. In fact, a few months ago my friends and I attended this Japanese culture exchange thing at a university and met some Japanese girls who hadn't been in the states very long at all. Lemme tell you, making small talk is one thing, but doing it when there's a huge language barrier and a heavy accent is REALLY tough.

Point of the story is, I sort of tried to get somewhere with one of them, and it was tough (and ultimately fruitless because she was going back to Japan shortly anyway), but once you get into the swing of conversation, it becomes easier and easier. Starting up the small talk is the hardest part. I remember I ended up sitting there for a while just talking to my friends and trying to think of what to say to her, and then when I finally just asked her random questions, we had a surprisingly good conversation and even flirted a little. I think. It was hard to tell, haha.

Of course, the situation/location is also a key factor. It's easier to make small talk when you're outside of a school setting, I think, because talking about school and goals is a good conversation starter. I mean, you can do that in school, too, but it just doesn't seem original (to me, at least). Sometimes just a quick greeting or witty comment can spark conversation. Being spontaneous can be daunting, especially if you don't know someone very well, but you really have nothing to lose. So don't dwell too much on what to say and just start saying things. Hope that helped. :P

Maikeru

Piper of Time
My use of "small talk" is usually more blunt and obvious in a beating around the bush about sort of way, or at least meant to be. Then after some time, if they don't get the hint, I pretty much just say it.

Hi,

man i also suck at small talk but oh well. I just usually try to be as friendly as possible. Sometimes I can think of things to say and i say them and it works out fine... but other times idk what to say and it can get pretty awkward!!!

Im not too good at making new friends unfortunately. And i really hate going up to girls and saying hi to them in public because thats like saying "i am into you" right out loud... and it makes me feel corny even though most people know im already into so and so so i should just try to be brave and dooo it.

What a weird first post =P

I work at a hotel and meet a variety of people each day. Part of what I'm supposed to do when guests are checking in is ask about what is bringing them into town. This usually opens up a nice way to get to know the guest and make them feel welcomed.

Or they are there for a funeral and my persistent happy face just kinda freezes in horror...

skywardswordfan - I can understand that, haha. :P At the same time, though, going up to girls in public places and making it clear you're interested isn't really a bad thing, in most cases. Of course, it's far easier said than done, and if anyone tells you it's easy, they're lying. Stuff like that can be nerve-wracking and it's really easy to give into anxiety, but if you don't give it a shot, you never know what could've happened. :D

PatheticBarrel - Oh man, that would be awkward. : / I imagine that doesn't happen very often, but still, that would be an awkward situation. Dang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom