• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How do you see the Luigi's Mansion games?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Do you see Luigi's Mansion as a Mario spin off series like Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario sports, yada yada...

Or do you see it as it's own off branch series like Donkey Kong Country, Wario Land, or the Yoshi games?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I'd say it's its own franchise. Most Mario spin-offs usually have Mario at the center (MK, Mario Sports, etc.), but Luigi's Mansion is a series where Luigi's the star of the show. Even if it were a single game, that difference would be enough in my mind to distinguish between the two.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I mean, it's technically a Mario spin-off because he's a Mario character. Sure, it's a unique enough concept that spawned sequels and is a series all on its own now, but it's still rooted in the overall Mario franchise.

Luigi's Mansion is definitely its own branching off franchise in the same way that I would consider the Wario platformers (Wario Land/Wario World) to be their own franchise. Yeah, both started off from the mainline Mario franchise, but they have an identity all of their own.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm with those who consider it its own series. Mario isn't the central character and barely even appears in the games and they have enough of their own identity to be considered their own series. There's also the fact that I feel more personal attachment with Luigi's Mansion than I do most/any Mario games.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'm with those who consider it its own series. Mario isn't the central character and barely even appears in the games and they have enough of their own identity to be considered their own series.

But that's exactly what a spin-off is. Mario doesn't have to be the central character of a spin-off just like Master Chief isn't in any of the Halo spin-offs.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
But that's exactly what a spin-off is. Mario doesn't have to be the central character of a spin-off just like Master Chief isn't in any of the Halo spin-offs.
honestly I just didn't know how to word it, it's just which category of spin off do you see Luigi's Mansion fit into, something like Mario Party or something like WarioWare

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
honestly I just didn't know how to word it, it's just which category of spin off do you see Luigi's Mansion fit into, something like Mario Party or something like WarioWare

It is a little confusing but I do know what you mean. It's hard to view something that has become so prominent and has stood all on its own as a mere spin-off as it feels like it sort of diminishes what it achieved all by itself. But truthfully, they're all still spin-offs because they all branched off from Mario.

Mario Kart, Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion, all very different genres but extremely successful franchises all on their own, but they all spun-off from something else just like many popular TV shows from the past like The Jeffersons and Good Times or even modern stuff like Better Call Saul and Fear the Walking Dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom