• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Pronounce Uranus?

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
A Youtuber called CGPGrey recently posted a video called "How to Pronounce Uranus" in which he talks about the various would-be names for the planet and the different ways to pronounce its current name.

I grew up pronouncing it like "ur anus" and like most children and teens and adults with childish minds, I had a lot of fun with that pronunciation. The first person who I ever heard pronounce it "Urine us" was my 6th grade science teacher (best teacher ever, btw). I also had some fun with that pronunciation. CGPGrey offers a few alternative pronunciations in the video - such as "yoo-RAH-nus" - but I'm gonna start calling it King George from now on.

Claire

The Geekette
YER-AN-US is the pronunciation used by professional astronomers, so I'd rely on that as being the correct pronunciation and how I pronounce it myself.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Yuhr-an-us

Pretty much the same as Claire, then. I never pronounced it "Your Anus" as many people have. I don't know why though. The first way I heard it pronounced was Yurh-an-us, so i'm guessing that's why it stuck in my head more than "Your Anus". ;P

Uranus was the primal Greek god personifying the sky. His equivalent in Roman mythology was Caelus. In Ancient Greek literature, Uranus (or Father Sky) was the son of Gaia, Mother Earth.

I've always pronounced it as "Yuhr-ain-us," a.k.a. "your anus." Although, I believe Claire and arkvoodle are correct as to the official pronunciation.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Yuhr-an-us. I have had some fun with pronouncing that, but nothing too much. And I've never pronounced Urine-us, because that just sounds like a failed attempt to "correct" the pronunciation.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I pronounce it "Your-Anus". Regardless of the joke behind said pronunciation, I just find that to be the correct way (not sure if there IS a correct way, though). I hear prestigious scientists pronounce it that way, teachers do it too, so why not be like them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom