• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Pronounce Uranus?

Fig

The Altruist
A Youtuber called CGPGrey recently posted a video called "How to Pronounce Uranus" in which he talks about the various would-be names for the planet and the different ways to pronounce its current name.

I grew up pronouncing it like "ur anus" and like most children and teens and adults with childish minds, I had a lot of fun with that pronunciation. The first person who I ever heard pronounce it "Urine us" was my 6th grade science teacher (best teacher ever, btw). I also had some fun with that pronunciation. CGPGrey offers a few alternative pronunciations in the video - such as "yoo-RAH-nus" - but I'm gonna start calling it King George from now on.

I always get annoyed by the people in my town always laughing right after they say the word Uranus. It's not that because they are sickly minded, it's just that they start look around at a person's area that relates to that word, depending on how pronounce.

I pronounce it as "yoo-RAY-nus".

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Growing up as a kid, I always pronounced it 'you-rain-us'. However I've never heard an astronomer or astrophysicist pronounce it that way. Professionals pronounce it 'yer-an-us'. I've been pronouncing it that way ever since I heard that particular (and apparently correct) pronounciation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom