• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda How Do You Pronounce Nayru?

How do you pronounce Nayru?

• Neye-Roo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nay-Roo

• Other

• Total voters
I pronounce it exactly the way that it's spelled: "nay-roo" (Jap. nei-ru).

This, exactly. Any time you're confused as to a Zelda (or any Japan-based video game) word's true pronunciation, look to the original Japanese spelling. Each Japanese character can only be pronounced one way, so as long as you have a basic grasp on Japanese lingo (which I understand isn't necessarily a small feat), you'll know how to say it.

Incidentally, just in case Axle is reading this...Volvagia, the dragon from Ocarina of Time, is pronounced "vohl-vah-jee-uh" rather than "vohl-vay-gee-uh." The dragon's Japanese name is "barubajia" (B's are often interchangeable with V's), which is why Volvagia was called Barba in The Adventure of Link (baruba = Barba). Undeniably an odd distinction to get used to, but I've always believed (perhaps alone) that everything ought to be labeled and pronounced correctly. I've actually considered doing a series somewhere on correct Zelda pronunciations. I don't know how far it would go, though.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Nay-roo

I've never really heard of anyone that pronounces it differently. But then again I usually pronounce everything in Zelda wrong

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I'm guessing that by Nay-roo you guys mean "Neye" or "Neigh", right? Nay could also be "nai" from what I'm seeing. If Nay was only pronounced one way, we wouldn't be having this discussion. XD Anyway, that's how I say it. "NEIGH-roo".

ILU

i luv u
ネール
If the "ー" wasn't there, it'd be "Neh-ru" ("oo" as in "book", not "spook"), but that character elongated the "eh" sound, so I say it "NAY-ru" (even though my Japanese friend makes it sound more like a mix between "neh" and "nay") with a rolled "r". At least, that's how I say it in my head, but I have a hard time saying it out loud because I derp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom