• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Pronounce Gerudo?

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
Seriously. I always thought it was pronounced jerudo, but my brother said it was garudo. Does anyone know the official pronunciation?

I pronounce it "guh-roo-doh," but I'm sure it could go either way; I don't believe Nintendo has stated an official pronunciation for it.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I've always pronounced it Ger-Ru-Doe. But I think Nintendo is pretty much leaving it up to the player on how they want to pronounce it.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I say Ge-roo-doh (G like the 'g' in grass and game) because I have played OoT in Japanese and it is spelt as ゲルド which is pronounced as you put it: garudo.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I pronounce it Ga-Roo-Doe, with a hard G sound.

The only other pronunciation I've heard is Jer-Oo-Doe. I have only ever heard it pronounced this way by Americans. I don't know if all Americans pronounce it this way, it's just something I've noticed.

I pronounce it Guh-roo-doh, as it reminds me of the pronunciation the word Garuda (Guh-roo-duh) - the mythical bird figure of legend that is depicted as half bird/half human or a large bird. The Gerudo may have been loosely based on this figure, and the most prominent feature of the Gerudo - their large bird-like nose might attest to this. With that being said, the pronunciation Guh-roo-doh seems to fit.

However, there are many sources that might suggest that the pronunciation of Gerudo was originally meant to be Geldo (ゲルド, Gerudo). If one were to convert the Japanese katakana into romaji, it would read [geh-roo-doh]. The root of this name is believed to come from the sand-dwelling enemies Geldman (ルドマン, Gerudoman) and Geldarm (ゲルドアーム, Gerudoaamu) introduced AoL and ALttP. The Gerudo alphabet presented in Hyrule Historia also seems to attest to this. Note: The "el" sound is "eru" in Japanese, as the language has no native "l" sound.

The above seems to hint at the possibility of two [or more] pronunciations. As such, it is likely left up to various interpretations. Personally, I prefer the "Guh-roo-doh" pronunciation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom