• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Pronounce "Bokoblin?"

How do you prounounce that noise???

• Bokoblin (like goblin)

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Bokoblin (like cocoa)

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

Quin

Disaster Master
Well I'm dutch so I pronounce them differently. Bough (as in though)-go-blin. What about you fellow dutchie @Quin
I say it pretty much the same way its spelled, like how Deus spells it pretty much (BOH-KOH-BLIN). Feels natural to me, especially in dutch

Reactions: Dio
BOH-KOH-BLIHN, like cocoa.

While that was my first assumption on how to pronounce it, it also always made the most sense to me, considering what the term "boko" actually was in the game the term first appeared in (The Wind Waker), which was merely an enemy name prefix. We forget this now because Bokoblins are a staple enemy now and the only one with the prefix that originated in TWW that I can recall, but there were others, like the Boko Baba. People refer to the "blin" suffix as if it's supposed to refer to goblins, which as I understand is why people think it's pronounced like "goblin", but pronouncing "boko" in that way in the Boko Baba name would sound bad. xP Same with Boko Sticks, etc.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I pronounce it both ways. I think I pronounced it Like bo-cob-lin at first and later started to say Bo-Ko-Blin. I use both but like Bo-Ko-Blin better so I'm voting like cocoa.

Edit:
I don't know what the Japanese name for this enemy is but regardless, part of the reason I like Bo-Ko-Blin better is because it sound more like how the name would be pronounced in Japanese.

While that was my first assumption on how to pronounce it, it also always made the most sense to me, considering what the term "boko" actually was in the game the term first appeared in (The Wind Waker), which was merely an enemy name prefix. We forget this now because Bokoblins are a staple enemy now and the only one with the prefix that originated in TWW that I can recall, but there were others, like the Boko Baba. People refer to the "blin" suffix as if it's supposed to refer to goblins, which as I understand is why people think it's pronounced like "goblin", but pronouncing "boko" in that way in the Boko Baba name would sound bad. xP Same with Boko Sticks, etc.
I agree with this as I had boko broken down from boko babas as well. However, language is stupid and certain prefixes and suffixes can potentially change the annunciation of a word. It's the same reason why the second syllable in the word "compare" is stressed so much differently than it is in the word "comparable." The addition of the "-able" suffix, changes the accent on the word, so while the base word "compare" is still being pronounced the same as it normally is, the second syllable gets less stress when the suffix is present. Bo-cob-lin, is bo-ko-blin, but with the middle syllable getting less stress because of the "-blin" suffix.

I agree with this as I had boko broken down from boko babas as well. However, language is stupid and certain prefixes and suffixes can potentially change the annunciation of a word. It's the same reason why the second syllable in the word "compare" is stressed so much differently than it is in the word "comparable." The addition of the "-able" suffix, changes the accent on the word, so while the base word "compare" is still being pronounced the same as it normally is, the second syllable gets less stress when the suffix is present. Bo-cob-lin, is bo-ko-blin, but with the middle syllable getting less stress because of the "-blin" suffix.
You're absolutely right, I just honestly don't think Nintendo put any thought into it being like this so I don't think it applies. I could be wrong though. The spelling is different for the Boko creatures (Boko Baba/Bokoblin), but I figure that's only so it looks similar to "Deku Baba/Moblin" (TWW was the first game to turn "blin" into a suffix; it introduced Bokoblins and Miniblins).

I pronounce it both ways. I think I pronounced it Like bo-cob-lin at first and later started to say Bo-Ko-Blin. I use both but like Bo-Ko-Blin better so I'm voting like cocoa.

Edit:
I don't know what the Japanese name for this enemy is but regardless, part of the reason I like Bo-Ko-Blin better is because it sound more like how the name would be pronounced in Japanese.
I'm sorta the opposite, I like 'boh-cob-lin' better because it sounds like goblin.

Kirino

Tatakae
Boh-koh-blihn. I'm so used to it at this point that every other pronunciation tends to grate on my ears.

It's not that I think it's supposed to be that way, I just LIKE it better that way...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom