• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Like Making Characters in Video Games?

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
Since character creation is in a lot of games nowadays, every one of us who play video games has bound to have made a character at some point, or will one day. So the question is, how do you like making your characters in games? Do you like making them like you, completely the opposite of you, or does it depend on the game? Do you have any trends between characters in the games you play, like hair color or gender? Anything you tend to do when customizing a character counts as fair game here.

I, personally, like making myself, or close to my self, in releastic games (Like the Sims). But when it comes to MMO's, and RPG's in general, they tend to be the exact opposite. I used to make character with blue skin and green eyes in games, but not as much recently.

Last edited:
I usually make them look like me. Boring, I know. I'm terrible at coming up with names and usually regret whatever I pick, so it's just safest to go with my own name. That being said, I actually don't really like customizable characters that much. I prefer established character designs, regardless of whether the player character has a personality or not.

On the Sims, though, never. Playing as myself or people I know just feels weird, and I've always found it pretty hard to make them look exactly like the person in question. (I'm also not very nice to my Sims... survival of the fittest and all. So, there's that.)

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I usually hit randomize until something strikes me as "eh. Good enough." Online games where other people actually see my character get about 15% more effort.

I mostly make them with grey hair if the game will let me. I added specs to them when I got mine in RL. My Mii though at the moment has brown hair (as I do in real life). But I am thinking of giving it grey hair again.
Back in my WoW days I played only humans but everyone of them had grey hair. I can't say I know why I do it, I just do.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
It depends on the game, if its first person by default I'll make it look like myself, if not I'll make it a girl and have it resemble my significant other. I don't want to stare at a virtual dude for 50+ hours.

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
I usually make them look like me. Boring, I know. I'm terrible at coming up with names and usually regret whatever I pick, so it's just safest to go with my own name. That being said, I actually don't really like customizable characters that much. I prefer established character designs, regardless of whether the player character has a personality or not.

On the Sims, though, never. Playing as myself or people I know just feels weird, and I've always found it pretty hard to make them look exactly like the person in question. (I'm also not very nice to my Sims... survival of the fittest and all. So, there's that.)

That might help on online games where every name under the sun seems to be taken. I don't think I could play all the games I play as a character like me, it would be too weird. I do add elements of myself in occasionally, but I really don't like making them like me outside of games like the Sims.

But when it comes to actually making my character in the Sims, I really only make one character me, or similar to me. It will look similar to me, have traits I have in real life, and all that. The other characters, though, all are of my own creation. And that never turns out good XD

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
I usually hit randomize until something strikes me as "eh. Good enough." Online games where other people actually see my character get about 15% more effort.

I hate using randomize if I'm planning on actually getting into a game. If I'm just testing out a game I may very well never play again, I just throw something together. If I'm going to be playing as a character for a long time, I want them to look exactly how I want, or at least close. I have some weird OCD when making characters in games that I'm going to be getting invested into. I HAVE to customize everything it allows me to. I look through all of the options, make choices, go back afterwards to probably change something that didn't work out, and finish. All in all it takes me 1 Hour+ to make characters (If they provide me with a lot of options.) Even if there isn't much to customize I spend a while looking over everything.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
eh. 90% of games I've played with customization options either are mostly first person or have most of the appearance covered by gear.

It sort of depends on the type of game I'm playing. For something like The Sims where I'm not actually playing as the character, I try to make sure they are nothing like me just because it feels weird otherwise. I love customising everything I can, I sometimes spend hours just making a character before I've even started the game sometimes! If I'm making an avatar for myself though, I'd like them to sort of resemble me (so give them the same colour hair/eyes and traits) I will never ever ever touch that randomise button!

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I usually make them look like me or my friends. ^^

Even though I have brown eyes, I usually make my character have blue, and instead of brown hair, I'll occassionaly make it pink if it's an option.

Salem

SICK
Every character I make is designed to look like someone I stalk very closely on this forum... I like to throw this rendition of them into the game's most painful elements... :) im coming for you
Good thing there isn't a game to design cat characters.

Reactions: Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom