• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How Do You Hook Up an N64 Controller to Your Computer?

I have a ROM of OoT and MM (I own both cartridges, so it's legal) and I bought this USB cord thing that you can hook an N64 controller into. I plugged everything in and loaded up OoT, and the controller didn't seem to work. None of the buttons respond, and when I try to program them to keys on the keyboard, it just automatically selects one of the buttons on the controller (as if that button is being inputted a million times per second, you know like how when you accidentally unplug the controller from the console with the analogue stick pushed up, so it continually goes up like in menus and stuff?)
So anyway, I was just wondering if there's a way to fix this problem. I know the controller works fine, because I've been using it with no problems on my N64 (up until my TV broke, which is why I'm switching to ROMs in the first place.)
Any suggestions? I'm not very good with computers and stuff, and I've heard suggestions of installing "plugins" but I really have no idea what that means. I downloaded something that said "plugin" but it didn't really do anything, and I don't know how to use it anyway. Any help would be really cool!

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I hate to say it, but it sounds as though either the USB connector you used is faulty, or the Emulator's Joystick input interpretation is faulty.

Have you tried using the N64 controller with programs other than your emulator? If you do try that, and it works, then you'll probably have to switch emulators.

If you have a regular USB PC gamepad or Joystick, you should try testing that to see if it works. If it doesn't, it means that the problem lies with your computer itself, not with the N64 controller or USB device.

If that doesn't work, it's probably the USB connector itself. It means you'll have to attempt to find a higher quality device that does the job better. Some of the ones out there are just cheap devices that don't do what they claim. I've heard that this one is good, but I have no clue.

athenian200

Circumspect
What other programs could I use the N64 controller with? And thanks for taking interest enough to give some advice!

You should theoretically be able to use an N64 controller on any PC game that takes input from a joypad, for instance. There are also test programs to see if the computer has found your joypad and can read input from it correctly.

Another solution if it is the USB cable, is to try an Xbox controller. It means modifying the controls a little bit on your end, but the xbox controller is compatible with XP and higher, and it has enough buttons to function as an N64 controller.

Oh there's test programs? That would be pretty helpful, do you know of any? I guess I'll try a google search for them.
And my USB cord thing only works for N64 controllers and Playstation controllers... I don't own a playstation or xbox. And I'll probably just end up getting a new tv but I like the idea of playing on my computer too

athenian200

Circumspect
Oh there's test programs? That would be pretty helpful, do you know of any? I guess I'll try a google search for them.
And my USB cord thing only works for N64 controllers and Playstation controllers... I don't own a playstation or xbox. And I'll probably just end up getting a new tv but I like the idea of playing on my computer too

I don't know of any specific programs, to be honest. Wish I did.

It's a multi-adapter USB cord? Those are usually cheap. I have a feeling it's most likely your USB cord that you'll need to replace. Still, use Google and try to find a test program.

Kazumi

chagy
I actually own the adapter that you are speaking of, and I still have never got it to work. I've tried a million things, and I've searched the driver disk a million times for XP drivers, but there are only 98 drivers. I've heard of some people getting it to work with XP and even Vista/7, but I've never figured out how. The adapter is very very cheaply made and everything is simply glued together with weak glue so it comes apart easily. If you do figure out how to get it to work please tell me. I'd really like to know.

I just bought an Xbox 360 controller for my PC. Way easier and much better then an N64 controller. So there is always that.

Ah ok, so it is mostly likely the adapter then. Well that's ok, after all I did get it for like 8 bucks, so not much of a loss there. Any suggestions of how to tell the difference between quality adapters and cheap ones?
Also, I did end up getting a new TV... turns out there was a crappy spare in the garage the whole time! Haha

athenian200

Circumspect
Ah ok, so it is mostly likely the adapter then. Well that's ok, after all I did get it for like 8 bucks, so not much of a loss there. Any suggestions of how to tell the difference between quality adapters and cheap ones?

Well, first of all, NEVER go for the ones that accept more than one type of pad. Yours had Playstation and N64. They can only reasonably accommodate one type for each adapter... the simpler and more specialized a device is, the less likely it is to fail. Also, price can be a good indicator. If it costs more than 10-15 dollars, it will probably work. Also, this may be subjective, but I find that the thickness of the plastic can be a good indicator of quality, and sometimes (though less often) black plastic indicates better quality.

I suggest the one I linked you earlier. I would suggest the Adaptoid, because it was the best, but they stopped making it in 2002, meaning it's pretty rare now.

Here's the one I linked you earlier again:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-6m-49-en-70-3d9o.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom