• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How do you feel about digital going into the 9th gen?

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
in light of recent events, all I can say to this is
F
The way Sony's treating this is making me nervous to support them in the future, I found out late last night that I have to buy a PS1 Memory Card to save PS1 games on my PS2 which makes no sense why can't the PS2 memory card support both. I just have to hope I can beat all my PS Plus Titles before something happens. *knocks on wood*

Gorozoron

wild ride
I'm totally fine with digital...So long as there's a physical release
As someone who thinks that preservation is highly important I feel like that physical releases should stay the standard
I think it's great to have a option to get a game digitally say like the local game store you go to doesn't have it and you really just want to start playing the game right now
I definitely buy digital releases ( In matter of fact that's how I played hollow knight ) but only for games that I want to sort of try out and don't really have any expectations for
I always go physical for games I'm hyped for like , like the next zelda , mario, e.t.c
So : Physical releases should stay, digital releases are awesome , digital only releases aren't and lost media stinks

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I feel like it's bad practice to terminate a digital library, rendering anything you previously bought, but may not have it downloaded due to storage constraints, lost. As long as the library is always available, that's great, I can back it. Something like the Wii Virtual Console is an example of the wrong way to do things, imo. As much flack as I imagine Sony is getting right now, PSN at least carries your digital library over to the next gen. So even if one day you can no longer play your digital games on PS3 or PS4, you'll still be able to on PS5 at least. With the Wii Virtual Console, it's just dead, no options, you are out of luck.

Switch online feels weird to me because it's like a pay to rent service, I wonder how much the cost of Switch online for a year versus the amount it would be to buy those games individually in a theoretical digital store setting would compare. I'd like to think long term it'd be more affordable to buy them once and own them.

Physical should not be phased out, but if it ever is companies need to put more care into longevity of digital putchases, especially with digital only consoles.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
yeah, at the least, the PS5 will probably have a decent life ahead of it judging from the sales, though we are still early, anything can happen
I feel like people are really overblowing it, the cmos will last much, much longer than the other parts of the ps4 will most likely, and worst case scenario it can always be replaced

I found out late last night that I have to buy a PS1 Memory Card to save PS1 games on my PS2 which makes no sense why can't the PS2 memory card support both
PS2 is like the Wii, where it basically restarts as a PS1 when you play the old games and the PS1 can't talk with PS2 cards. I have a modded PS2, and you can't use the actual PS1 mode to play PS1 back ups. You can still play them, but it emulates them despite the hardware needed being in the same console.

I'm not too worried about Sony shutting down servers because people will inevitably back up games, mod systems, and create emulators. There is always a way to play whatever game you want to play regardless of if it's officially supported. The idea of all your purchases going away sucks, but it's something everyone should be aware of when making a digital purchase. When you're buying a game, you're buying a license to use it while it lasts. You're not buying access to it until the end of time. Back up things you want to protect.

ChimeraWarden

I hear thunder, pitter patter..
Frankly, I just hope they bring older games to it in something like a Collection. I’d really rather not have to buy every Nintendo console just to play through all 3 timelines

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
Frankly, I just hope they bring older games to it in something like a Collection. I’d really rather not have to buy every Nintendo console just to play through all 3 timelines
Right now you can play every zelda game with a wii u and 3ds
Wii u- skyward sword, minish cap, wind waker, twilight princess, a link to the past, breath of the wild
3ds- Oracles, links awakening, a link between worlds, zelda, zelda 2, ocarina of time, majoras mask, phantom hourglass, spirit tracks

Nope. Screw all digital gaming and not being able to own what you buy. Physical is great for gamers, and digital is a cheaper alternative for up and coming developers who don't have the luxury of a big company backing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom